Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CS Issue Shirts by Ross Lamoreaux

Folks,

We are proud to announce that we just received a shipment of CS Issue Shirts from Ross Lamoreaux, and have several in stock and ready to ship! Ross' work is of the highest quality, and having examined the original shirt I can say his reproduction is SPOT ON. This is the first time that we have offered these shirts in a completed form and supplies are very limited!

The shirts are ENTIRELY handsewn, closed with four bone buttons, and made from our custom osnaberg made by Family Heirloom Weavers! Shirts are available in a size medium (42-44) which corresponds to the dimensions of the original, or a size large (48-50.)

Cost is $125.00

Supplies are limited so order today!

Last edited by Dan Wambaugh; 05-05-2008, 10:41 AM.
    Dan Wambaugh
    Wambaugh, White, & Company
    www.wwandcompany.com
    517-303-3609
    Become our fan on Facebook by clicking HERE

Re: CS Issue Shirts by Ross Lamoreaux

Nice......

Greg Starbuck
    The brave respect the brave. The brave
    Respect the dead; but you -- you draw
    That ancient blade, the ass's jaw,
    And shake it o'er a hero's grave.

Herman Melville

http://www.historicsandusky.org

Comment

What sizes are available (if the sizes even differ)?

Comment

Bryan,

Excellent question! I've edited the above post to explain that.

Best,

Dan
        Dan Wambaugh
        www.wwandcompany.com
        517-303-3609

Comment

Folks,

Because a picture is worth a thousand words, here are a few shots that will save me having to come up with more synonyms for "superb":

Detail of collar attachment showing whip stitching and top stitching.

Detail of distinctive "box" buttonhole.

Detail of bottom vent showing seam, flat felling, and overcasting of hem. Take notes folks, THIS is how it is DONE!

Only six shirts left! Three mediums and three larges! Get yours now!

Best,
          Dan Wambaugh
          www.wwandcompany.com
          517-303-3609

Comment

Nice. On the big list of under-represented items, this is way high up. Ross/Dan, where is the original?
            Soli Deo Gloria
            Doug Cooper

"The past is never dead. It's not even past." William Faulkner

Please support the CWT at www.civilwar.org

Comment

Doug,

The original is the famed "Louisiana Shirt" in the Troiani collection. Of course the specific material in that shirt is nearly impossible to reproduce correctly, and since the shirt has no less than FOUR different types of striped cotton cloth used in various places, a simple osnaberg rendering is the next best thing.

Best,

Dan
              Dan Wambaugh
              www.wwandcompany.com
              517-303-3609

Comment

Hi,

According to one of Don Troiani's books these shirts also came in checked shirting. Has anyone ever seen this shirt made out of checked shirting?
                Andrew Kasmar

Comment

Andrew,

I would be interested in reading the actual citation if you can dig it up. As one of the few examples of a CS issue shirt the Louisiana shirt is pretty much a one-of-a-kind item.

Best,

Dan
                  Dan Wambaugh
                  www.wwandcompany.com
                  517-303-3609

Comment

Hi,

I will try to find the book, so that I can give you the reference. I will not be able to do this to night, but I will try in the morning.
                    Andrew Kasmar

Comment

Thanks for the kind words, Dan. I did indeed put alot of effort in these shirts, and whoever picks one up will get a shirt that lasts. I originally purchased a kit from Dan a few months ago, and it has quickly become my favorite shirt in the field, and the custom osnaburg is terrific at holding a stitch and remaining comfortable. I highly recommend a handwashing in warm water with woolite, and air drying for maximum affect. For you "gentlemen of girth" who may hesitate to buy a handsewn shirt for fear of fit, I wear a size 48-50 coat, and the large shirt is still quite generous in room, with quite a bit of room around the collar to keep from choking. I may be pretty subjective here, but its a good deal for a great shirt.
                      Ross L. Lamoreaux
                      rlamoreaux@tampabayhistorycenter.org

"...and if profanity was included in the course of study at West Point, I am sure that the Army of the Cumberland had their share of the prize scholars in this branch." - B.F. Scribner, 38th Indiana Vol Inf

Comment

Hi,

Here is the the section on the shirt from the book Don Troiani's Soldiers in America 1754-1865 page 178:

This Confederate shirt, along with its owner's Confederate jacket, were until recently part of the colection of the Royal Artillery Museum in Woolrich, England, where they had been placed by their ownerin 1905. Confederate sentiment was high in many circles of English society, and numerous young men made the journey to the American South to join the Confederate Army. It is little wonder, then, that the jacket and shirt were found so far from the land its original owner fought for.
                        Unlike the Union Army, which usually issued shirts of white or grey wool, the Confederate issue shirts based more upon the availability of materials suitable for the purpose. While many Southern soldiers simply wore civilian shirts, the military cut of this example makes it likely that the shirt was quartermaster issued. Certainly the blue and brwon strips of the shirt material would not have prevented its purchase by any Confederate clothing facility. An interesdting note is the documented issue of "138 striped shirts" to the 20th Battalion Viginian Artillery on December 2, 1862, and the issue of checked shirt to the Army of Tennessee in 1863.

From what I understand from this, it appears that checked shirts were issued to Confederate soldiers fighting in the Western theater of war.
                        Andrew Kasmar

Comment

I amde one of these about a year ago from one of Dan's kits. As a matter of fact I helped "test" the instructions. All I have to say is it is the most comfortable shirt I have (and I have a lot). Also, if you add the comfort of the material to the quality of work Ross does you have an awesome product. Again, another fine product put out by W.W.& Co.
                          Kurt Loewe
                          Botsford Mess
                          Member, Company of Military Historians

Comment

Andrew,

Thank you very much for the citation. I know it can sometimes be a pain to transcribe something from a book onto the computer, but it certainly adds a great deal to any discussion.

The basic construction of the original shirt reinforces what Mr. Troiani states about the original being a depot-produced shirt that was then issued to the men. Aside from a myriad of smaller details, the construction of the body is accomplished by simply cutting a 29" wide piece of cloth at approximately the 1 2/3 yards mark, placing a neck hole and then cutting the curves for the sleeve caps. The side seam treatment is a simple whip stitch that closes the two selvege edges together, similar to how blankets are joined. For this reason it is nearly impossible to produce a spot-on reproduction of the shirt, because finding a weaver willing to make 29" wide cotton with a proper folded edge is sort of like trying to find an honest man in congress!

Thus, the seam treatment since even back in the days when the folks at County Cloth first patterned this shirt has been your standard "seam and hand felling", which is the next best thing.

Truly a fascinating garment!

Best,
                            Dan Wambaugh
                            www.wwandcompany.com
                            517-303-3609

Comment

Hi,

It is a great shirt, I bought the kit in November, and really enjoy wearing it to events.
                              Andrew Kasmar

Comment

Working...
                              X