Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

FINALLY! The Authentic Rank Insignia You've Been Looking For!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: FINALLY! The Authentic Rank Insignia You've Been Looking For!

Patrick,

I received my order this morning. They are outstanding!

Thanks for the quick shipment.

Thanks,
    Jeff
    Jeff Thompson
    Co. L, Lone Star Rifles
    1st Texas Vol. Infantry Rgmt.
    Texas Brigade

Independent Rifles

Comment

Pat-

Any chance you can have any made with metalic thread in the future?

Joe Walker

Comment

Mssrs. Gingras and Marti,

Your orders were posted earlier this week. That should be hitting your mailboxes soon. Please let me know when they arrive.

Joe, this batch of rank insignia is ALL made with hand embroidered spun metalic stock.
        PATRICK CRADDOCK
        Prometheus No. 851
        Franklin, Tennessee
        Widows' Sons Mess
        www.craftsmansapron.com

Aut Bibat Aut Abeat

Can't fix stupid... Johnny Lloyd

Comment

I received mine on Monday.
          Very nice. I like them very much.
          Cheers.
          Greg S Barnett
          Burlington Lodge #763 F&AM

New Knoxville Mess
          ArmoryGuards/ WIG

Comment

I received mine today, and I thank you for the speediness. Now, I fear I'm the only one who needs to ask (though I hope I'm not), how exactly do I attach them? Does one sew them as is with the square of fabric intact, or do you cut around the insignia and leave just enough room for the thead's purchase?

I hate asking questions like this but I've searched for answers here and elsewhere with no luck.

Thanks Again,
            Joe Marti

...and yes, I did use the search function...

Comment

Joe,

There is extra fabric around the insignia. Feel free to cut off as much (or as little) as you see fit - leaving enough around the rank to sew it to the uniform.

What was that - a two or three day (not counting the weekend and holiday) delivery time from ordering? Not bad?
              PATRICK CRADDOCK
              Prometheus No. 851
              Franklin, Tennessee
              Widows' Sons Mess
              www.craftsmansapron.com

Aut Bibat Aut Abeat

Comment

Originally posted by Bushrod Carter View Post
                Joe,

There is extra fabric around the insignia. Feel free to cut off as much (or as little) as you see fit - leaving enough around the rank to sew it to the uniform.

What was that - a two or three day (not counting the weekend and holiday) delivery time from ordering? Not bad?
                Thanks for the advice and, again, the speedy delivery time. I guess it wasn't TOO slow!
                Joe Marti

...and yes, I did use the search function...

Comment

Pat,

Joe opens an interesting subject. I have seen the rank on original uniforms with backing and then again I have seen strictly the gold thread portion sewn on ( ex. for a capt. the individual three gold strands sewn individually).

Question: Is there a preferred method, especially in the western theatre?

Oh, and on the delivery, the only thing that would improve on the service and the speed would be if you hand delivered each set along with a hand-shake and a greeting. :D

thanks,
                  Mark
                  J. Mark Choate
                  7th TN. Cavalry, Co. D.

"Let history dictate our impressions.......not the other way around!"

Comment

Mark,

(this discussion applies to Confederate EMBROIDERED rank - only)

Yes, you see the rank applied both ways. I do not believe the West has any more prominent application one way or the other.

The difference between the two is this: The patch (rank applied to material and then applied to a uniform) was used when the uniform was already completed and needed to have rank applied to it. On the otherhand the individual application was part of the construction process, i.e. the rank was embroidered directly to the material that the collar was being made from. The tailor would then take the somewhat larger piece of material that already had the embroidery applied to it and cut out the entire collar piece and then apply it to the uniform.

This is something that we don't see in our hobby – for two reasons: 1) our officers often wear different rank depending on the event and 2) the expense of having a uniform jacket made for each rank. HOWEVER, I am now offering this service for those who are planning ahead for a custom uniform, and, in fact, I already have one client to do this.

The problem, from a hobby perspective, is that if the rank is applied directly to the collar that is the rank for that jacket - period. Unless you are good at taking a jacket apart and reapplying a different collar this option isn’t very practical.

I hope this helps.
                    PATRICK CRADDOCK
                    Prometheus No. 851
                    Franklin, Tennessee
                    Widows' Sons Mess
                    www.craftsmansapron.com

Aut Bibat Aut Abeat

Comment

Patrick,

It helps tremendously! It is the best explanation that I have ever received on the subject......of course, it is also the only explanation that I have ever received on the subject.

Seriously, that is very helpful and I thank you for the info and for all of the hard work that you've done for the cause of increased historic accuracy!!

Mark
                      J. Mark Choate
                      7th TN. Cavalry, Co. D.

"Let history dictate our impressions.......not the other way around!"

Comment

Pat,

Thanks for a superior product! The delivery time was not long at all. I ordered the Confederate infantry set and the different ranks will definitely be used mulitple times in the future.
                        Herb Coats
                        Armory Guards &
                        WIG

Comment

Pat - do you have any of the CS sets left? If so, paypal finger at the ready. I suddenly realized my last authentic rank just flew south to Bill Treadway on a jacket.

One other technique for sewing these on was directly to the collar using a tiny slit for the end of each bar passing just inside the collar material and then sewn down. I suppose that was done to present a more neat appearance. One could remove and replace these, but it would be laborious and kind of hard on the collar material.

On the same subject, sleeve rank galloons - anybody ever see a second or third row applied due to promotion...or as I would guess, the entire set was replaced? How about mis-matched sleeve and collar rank? Many of us have wrestled with this dilemna I imagine.
                          Soli Deo Gloria
                          Doug Cooper

"The past is never dead. It's not even past." William Faulkner

Please support the CWT at www.civilwar.org

Comment

Pat, Yes i think im the client that you are going to get the material for the colar of my next coat. Joe and I are in the Material looking stage of the project.

Great look to the stars also! Applied them to the Hanesworth frock this past weekend. Ill take pics and post.. they really "pop"!

skip
                            [B][I]Skip Owens[/I][/B]

EMAIL:[EMAIL="saltwaterboy01@gmail.com"]saltwaterboy01@gmail.com[/EMAIL]

[U]Southern Guard Living History Assn.
                            [URL="http://www.southernguard.org"]http://www.southernguard.org[/URL]

The Company of Military Historians[/U]

Comment

Do you have any of the Union ones left?
                              Respectfully,

Jeremy Bevard
                              Civil War Digital Digest
                              Sally Port Mess

Comment

Well done Pat - the best I have yet seen!
                                Soli Deo Gloria
                                Doug Cooper

"The past is never dead. It's not even past." William Faulkner

Please support the CWT at www.civilwar.org

Comment

Working...
                                X