Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Announcement: Trans Mississippi Depot is Closing

Dear Customers & Friends

As many of you know, last November I had to take on regular employment at Altai Leather Designs to make ends meet while filling your orders for TMD Co.

In a nut shell: Basically as of the middle of January, due to an unforeseen emergency at my new place of employment (a situation that no one saw coming) started the process of putting me on full time. Eventually by February, I was placed on a full time plus overtime schedule much sooner than I expected, I was told that I would be put on full time by April. During this time the flooding happened to my shop, which took almost a month to get re-set up and dried out, complicating matters.

I had genuinely thought when I started working at the leather shop. That I would have the extra time to put in to complete orders each week until April. As my regular leather working job began to demand more and more of my time (60 hours a week and growing), combined with the set back of the flooding my shop suffered earlier this year, it has made it too difficult to get your orders completed and out to you in a reasonable amount of time.

In spite of my very best efforts through the entire situation (my main priority being to get orders to customers as soon as I could), I had to come to the realization that I am not able to get orders made with all the attention that they deserve, completed and out to you, due to the present situation.

Rather than having to stretch out the wait time any further (which would be unfair to you the customer, as many of you have been waiting patiently a long while), I have made the decision to refund folks in full.

Renee and I are selling off Trans-Mississippi Depot Co & shutting down for good.

As of May 17th 2010 I will start the process of refunding all outstanding orders.

I will be contacting each customer to get their current address info in order to send out a refund cheque. .

I sincerely apologize for any inconvenience this has caused

I look forward to getting the refunds sent and getting things squared away.

Please feel free to contact me with any questions

Sincerely
    Don Smith

Trans- Mississippi Depot Company
    Don F Smith

Re: Trans Mississippi Depot is Closing

Don,

Sad to hear this as it will be a major loss to the living history community. Best of luck to you and Renee, and Shelley and I still owe you a dinner when we get get back to Sedona.
    Best Regards,

Jim Mitchum

Hamptons Legion, Co. G., Claremont Rifles
    Winstontown

"South Carolina is too small for a republic and too large for an insane asylum". ... James Petigru describing his native state in 1860

Comment

Don,

I'm very sad to see this, but by the same token am very happy that you are achieving success in your full time employment. You have been an asset to our hobby for many, many years and I hope that you are able to continue to enjoy it on a recreational level. Best of luck in all of your future endeavors, and thank you for all that you have contributed.

Your Friend,
      Dan Wambaugh
      Wambaugh, White, & Company
      www.wwandcompany.com
      517-303-3609
      Become our fan on Facebook by clicking HERE

Comment

Sorry to hear.
        Andrew Grim
        The Monte Mounted Rifles, Monte Bh'oys

Burbank #406 F&AM
        x-PBC, Co-Chairman of the Most Important Committee
        Peter Lebeck #1866, The Ancient and Honorable Order of E Clampus Vitus
        Billy Holcomb #1069, Order of Vituscan Missionaries

Comment

Good luck with your new position Don. Thank you for your contributions over the last decade. You and guys like you raised the bar and I think we're all indebted to you.
          Paul Calloway
          Proudest Member of the Tar Water Mess
          Proud Member of the GHTI
          Member, Civil War Preservation Trust
          Wayne #25, F&AM

Comment

Don,

Sorry to hear this, but I'm glad the steady day gig kicked in for you when it did. I hope that you at least get enough vacation/comp time to make it out to some events now.
            Joe Smotherman

Comment

Brother Don,

It's good to hear that your leather job is picking up, I know how life gets in the way of ones hobbies. I'll buy you a round at the next Doin's!
              Ron Moen
              Co.A, First Texas Infantry (Retired)
              CWPT
              E Clampus Vitus

Comment

Don,

We will certainly miss your excellent work. Good luck to you and your family.
                [COLOR=Blue][SIZE=2][FONT=Book Antiqua]Ken Raia[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]

Comment

Sorry to see you are closing up shop. Hope things only go up from here and it allows more time for family.

Kevin Hall
                  Landlocked in the Colorado mines

Comment

To bad you will have to close up your shop as your stuff is top notch. However, I am glad that your full time job is going so well. I am happy I bought the pants from you when I did otherwise I would have to run around in my undewear! :p. Good luck in the future.
                    Pvt. Rudy Norvelle
                    20th Maine Vol Inf Co. G
                    Third Brigade, First Divison, Fifth Corps
                    Army of the Potomac

Comment

Hi Don,

I am saddened to see this happen and have enjoyed purchasing from you over the years. I hope the full time employment will allow you to enjoy the hobby more.

I wish you the best and thank you for your quality work!

Tom
                      Tom Klas
                      Hard Head Mess
                      Citizens Guard

Comment

DAMN!

Best to you ALWAYS!!!
                        James Ross

Comment

Damn Sorry to hear this Don.. wish the best of luck to you and yours..
                          Ronnie Hull
                          Lt Co G 3rd La / Co C 48th OVI
                          Shreveport, La

Independent Rifles and all of hell followed "
                          Western Independent Greys

Descendent of Levi W. Leech - Private, Co G Tenth Texas Cavalry, Dmtd 1861-1865, AOT

2009 Bummers November 13 - 16
                          2010 Vicksburg L.O.L February 5-7
                          Before the Breakout September 10-12

Comment

I have a set of TMD Co leathers, .58 1861 US box, sling, belt, cap pouch and scabbard.
                            Excellent quality. Don, you are a class act and it shows in the way you are handling this
                            change in circumstances. Bully for you.
                            Craig L Barry
                            Editor, The Watchdog, a non-profit 501[c]3
                            Co-author (with David Burt) Suppliers to the Confederacy
                            Author, The Civil War Musket: A Handbook for Historical Accuracy
                            Member, Company of Military Historians

Comment

Don:

Sorry to hear this, but on the personal side, glad to see that life now has some consistency and that you are doing well.

I am so pleased that I got the "Texas Star" hat pin that you made up for me last fall! Your craftsmanship in turning a period Mexican Real into a museum quality repo elicits comments every time that someone notices it. Just this weekend, I ran into Joe Blunt at Resaca. He noticed the pin on my hat and asked to see it. He was very, very complimentary of your work after examining it for several minutes. He even noted that you "...got the pin absolutely correct." As you leave the business, I thought that you'd enjoy this comment by another of the truly fine and accurate artisans in the hobby.

Thanks for all that you've done for CW re-enacting and for the great effort and accuracy that you've put into the gear that I've purchased from you over the years.

Happy Trails!
                              Mike Ventura
                              Shannon's Scouts

Comment

Working...
                              X