Free Mason Badges

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Free Mason Badges

Just recently I expressed an interest in joining the Free Mason, partly because my Grandpa was a Mason. In the reenacting business I've gone to events and seen reenactors openly show off there Free Mason Badges either on there coat, canteen, or haversack and I was wondering if they actually done that in the ACW. I know back in those days people viewed Free Masons as those as Satanist and those who want to overthrow the government etc etc and I can't see Free Mason soldiers openly expressing the fact that they were Free Masons. Course I may be wrong on this, but I wanted to know what your opinions were on this.

Chadd M. Vail
    Death is always a good thing. Its just life after death that you got to worry about.

Re: Free Mason Badges

Correct or not wearing emblems or not. The Brotherhood is a brotherhood.
    Les Williamson
    "Eastern 5th KY."
    [URL="http://www.5thkentuckyinfantry.org/"]www.5thkentuckyinfantry.org/[/URL]

Comment

There is an excellent thread on "Masonic Material Culture" on the forum. That and some others are available using the search feature.
      Jim Mayo
      Portsmouth Rifles, Company G, 9th Va. Inf.

CW Show and Tell Site
      http://www.angelfire.com/ma4/j_mayo/index.html

Comment

Originally posted by nc69th View Post
        I know back in those days people viewed Free Masons as those as Satanist and those who want to overthrow the government etc etc and I can't see Free Mason soldiers openly expressing the fact that they were Free Masons. Course I may be wrong on this, but I wanted to know what your opinions were on this.

Chadd M. Vail
        I don't know where you got this impression from. While there was an enormous anti-masonic movement in the 1830's through the 40's, by the late 1850's and into the Civil War years, that sentiment had subsided somewhat. And the wearing of Masonic pins, etc, was not as rare as you may think.

You should click on this:

and read the discussion found there.

Two discussions found there may help answer your question. They are titled:

Masonic Material Culture

and

Masons in the Line
        Brian Hicks
        Widows' Sons Mess

Known lately to associate with the WIG and the Armory Guards

"He's a good enough fellow... but I fear he may be another Alcibiades."

“Every man ever got a statue made of him was one kinda sumbitch or another. It ain’t about you. It’s about what THEY need.”CAPTAIN MALCOLM REYNOLDS

Comment

Thanks Brian, i'll check out these articles.

Chadd M. Vail
          Death is always a good thing. Its just life after death that you got to worry about.

Comment

Working...
          X