Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: USSS Impression

Sharpshooter enthusiasts,

I appreciate Dan's endorsement of my early research on the 1st and 2nd Regiments, U.S. Sharpshooters. However, I must caution those who go to the Co. B. 2nd USSS website that I have been unable to access the Articles page for years to update those articles that, in some cases, are woefully out of date or need seruiys revision. Likewise, new information compiled by comrades Dan Wambaugh, Brian White, Mike Fahle, John Carey, and other dedicated USSS researchers have not found a suitable forum to post their works. For a short period Brian posted an excellent series on the Martin and Brother contracts for construction of the first USSS uniform coats in 1861. He also found contracts for the 'Prussian knapsacks' which were not Prussian in design or manufacture (Berdan got the contract to Tiffany, the knapsack incorporated features of German providences knapsacks, but is a hybrid design). Unfortunately, the webforum he posted this information on has since crashed, and as of this writting , has not been revived.

While the material culture for the USSS is a fascinatiing one, I have found that most organizations who represent the USSS at reenactments or living history today tend to be attired in the 1862 impression (and pre-Chancellorsville March-May, 1863) as described by Curt--Rifle Green uniform coat, trousers, cap, leather leggins, Tiffany knapsack and all the trimmings. While there are plenty of accounts of the original USSS getting lots of attention when they turned out on the parade ground in full uniform and accountrements; for a number of modern reenactors this is their sole representation. They tend to dismiss or minimize the nagging presence of dozens of photographs of USSS soldiers attired in blouses, blue trousers and other 'irregular' dress. Likewise, letters, QM quarterly reports, and company commander documentation that describe the men NOT being attired in the 'traditional green' are overlooked or dismissed. The debate continues.

Unfortunately, the material culture debate overshadows the REAL story of the USSS--the individuals. And this is where the real research lies...for me it is the fascination of what the original sharpshooters saw, heard and experienced that provides us insight into WHY their became such a remarkable and influential (at least to the CSA) organization.

The Randolf Mess and a few progressive minded chaps have spent the past decade slowly and methodically researching how the original USSS appeared. Using that information, we take to the field attired that way. We also attempt to obtain pre-War background information on individuals who served in each unit and adopt their persona. Thanks to folks like Kevin, Charles we have been invited to have the opportunity to occupy Malvern Hill this weekend to portray members of Co. F. (Vermont) 1st USSS. I hope that other participants take the opportunity to observe, evaluate and talk with us during the event. We see our mission is to educate and learn--because with this impression there is no 'graduation day'.

My recommendation to Santiago, and anybody who is interested in the USSS, to read the books recommended by Dan (also, R.L. Murray published two short books; Letters from Berdans Sharpshooters, and Berdans Sharpshooters in Combat--a compilation of letters written by the participants days after the event/skirmish/battle). I also encourage you to feel free to email Dan, Brian or myself--we are very happy to share the fruits of our labors with anyone who has a desire or interest to learn.

Bill Skillman
    Bugler/Rifleman
    Randolf Mess
    USSS Coordinator-Glendale/Malvern Hill

Comment

Working...
    X