CS Jackets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CS Jackets

Besides an RD2,what is the next most common jacket for a Confederate Mid-War impression.I have had a little trouble finding things that discuss something very closely related to this.Thanks.
    Shawn Sturgill
    Governor Guards
    SCAR

Re: CS Jackets

Shawn, Are you refering to Eastern or Western Confederate? The RD2 is good, but it is different for western.
    Cpl. Ryan Halsey
    Wampus Cats Mess & Iron Grays
    Cpl. Ryan Halsey
    Wampus Cats Mess
    Mossy Creek Mess-SCAR
    Breckinridge Greys
    Liberty Rifles

Comment

What theater of the war are you wanting to know about.
      Andrew Turner
      Co.D 27th NCT
      Liberty Rifles

"Well, by God, I’ll take my men in and if they outflank me I’ll face my men about and cut my way out. Forward, men!” Gen. John R. Cooke at Bristoe Station,VA

Comment

In all truth and honesty,if you read "Cadet Grey and Butternut Brown",you see that there is almost no real generic CS impression.Where you might have a company in full frocks and clean uniforms,the next company might almost be compleatly naked.While we have ideas of what was common,there really is no answer to what a truely generic CS impression should be.Where I may read something aboutRegiment A being fully clothed in 1861,you can qoute a source that states that Regiment B was ragged.It all depends on your personal impression you are doing.
        (Just my .02 cents)
        Cullen Smith
        South Union Guard

"Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore always carry a small snake"~W.C. Fields

"When I drink whiskey, I drink whiskey; and when I drink water, I drink water."~Michaleen Flynn [I]The Quiet Man[/I]

Comment

Hi,

I have to agree with Mr. Smith, that there are very few generic uniforms. But, there are some jackets that are able to fit most impressions in a certain area. Such as the Richmond Depot II, would work for most impressions from Mid-1862-1865 in the Eastern theater of war. Another jacket would be the Columbus depot jacket for Western theater of war. But, that being said some regiments got commutation jackets, frock coats, some sort of state jacket,other depot jackets like Atlanta, and even civilian sack and frock coats were seen on the field. What you need to see is what impressions you will be doing the most. I reenact as a Missouri soldier in the Army of Tennessee, because of this I have a Columbus Depot jacket and a commutation jacket, both of which I have seen originals that were issued to my regiment. But, if I am reenacting Price's campaign in Missouri, I go with a Federal sack coat or a civilian item. The main thing is that there is really not one perfect jacket for all campaigns. After all that being said Eastern theater I would go with a Richmond Depot II and in the Western theater Columbus, commutation jacket, frock coat. Just my 2 cents.
          Andrew Kasmar

Comment

I think you have some really good comments on here. What state regiment, company, etc are you wanting to portray. Sometimes commutation jackets get used as a "bandaid" for when you don't know what to use. Be careful of this. After several converstations with Ben Tart, I have decided that you can almost never go wrong with a mixture of military and civilian. Maybe entertain the idea of using a civilian fock or sack and some depot trousers. Then maybe a civilian hat or better still a federal field pick up. Civilian clothing will cover a wider area because styles were popular throughout the United States. Civillian attire is much more vast...not necessarily associated with just one region or area like a depot would be. It may be helpful to decide whether or not you want to portray a season veteran or a new recruit. Hope this is helpful.
            Luke Gilly
            Breckinridge Greys
            Lodge 661 F&AM

"May the grass grow long on the road to hell." --an Irish toast

Comment

Hey Luke,
              While a Federal cap would work for some stuff,like Bluegrass Campaign of 1862,you do need to be careful about wearing it all the time.Please remember that in late 1862,Rosencrants is going to tell Bragg that if he captures any of the AOTers wearing Federal uniforms not modified,they will be tried as spies.So some Federal clothing would work,but again,it depends on the impression.
              But the notion of civie clothing is a good concept.While it wouldn't work for every regiment,it would be a good "generic" look,especially AOT or Missouri ruffian.But here again,it will depend on the impression.But generic civies would be a good covering,not so much so for details.
              Cullen Smith
              South Union Guard

"Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore always carry a small snake"~W.C. Fields

"When I drink whiskey, I drink whiskey; and when I drink water, I drink water."~Michaleen Flynn [I]The Quiet Man[/I]

Comment

Hi All,

I find this very interesting conversation and I totally agree with what says itself here.
                We have in my group chosen to be able to make as much as possible of impressions (I said as much as possible, not all the impressions) we impose in CS, Colombus, RDII, frock coat more Civilian, Shreveport or the other (choice of lad) and in US, frock coat and Schuylkill, more JT, jacket or other (choice of lad).
                William Miconnet
                French Mess
                AES
                BGR & IPW Survivor
                Never ever give up!
                In memory of Steve Boulton, live the little story, lost in the history...
                I believe!

Comment

I am going for more of an Eastern impression.
                  Shawn Sturgill
                  Governor Guards
                  SCAR

Comment

If you look at the photos of the Confederate prisoners at Five Forks they are wearing a tremendous amount of civilian clothing. We do not wear enough civilian clothing here in the eastern theater. Men were getting boxes from home all the time with socks, blankets, clothing, food, etc. If it had been a while between uniform issues and some of your clothing was worn out you had to find some way to supplement it. You could write home for clothing or if you had extra money you could buy something that was civilian or try to buy something military from a tailor or perhaps even a depot.
                    Andrew Turner
                    Co.D 27th NCT
                    Liberty Rifles

"Well, by God, I’ll take my men in and if they outflank me I’ll face my men about and cut my way out. Forward, men!” Gen. John R. Cooke at Bristoe Station,VA

Comment

What do the other members of your mess wear? What guidelines are they following? More important, are you portraying a certain unit, and if yes, I recommend a little reasearch into what they may have been issued. You might find though, that if you are portraying a Virginia unit, you will most likely be OK with the RD jackets. Just a thought.
                      Don Woods
                      Member ABT

Comment

Originally posted by tenfed1861 View Post
                        Hey Luke,
                        While a Federal cap would work for some stuff,like Bluegrass Campaign of 1862,you do need to be careful about wearing it all the time.Please remember that in late 1862,Rosencrants is going to tell Bragg that if he captures any of the AOTers wearing Federal uniforms not modified,they will be tried as spies.So some Federal clothing would work,but again,it depends on the impression.
                        You are very right! It is very important if you're putting together an exact impression to check out the exact portrayal. If you are looking for that more eastern impression...i think you're going to find that the RDII is going to heavily heavily out populate other styles. Again, civi can work, sacks can work, commutation can work, sometimes almost anything "can work". There are odd balls found...but if you're wanting to portray the most common......RD, RD, RD.
                        Luke Gilly
                        Breckinridge Greys
                        Lodge 661 F&AM

"May the grass grow long on the road to hell." --an Irish toast

Comment

I have a commutation right now,but I am looking to expand my impression.My mess wears mostly commutation jackets and frocks.They are following guidelines that I wrote,actually.The guidelines state that jackets should be either commutation jacket,frock coat,or an RD2.I am,however,planning on modifieing the guidelines to include civilian coats and other correct options.
                          Shawn Sturgill
                          Governor Guards
                          SCAR

Comment

Yes, Luke is right. I think there would have been a lot of RD's, but some other styles present. Go ahead and change our guidelines around a little bit. I'll check it out and make my "mess NCO" decision.
                            Cpl. Ryan Halsey
                            Wampus Cats Mess
                            Mossy Creek Mess-SCAR
                            Breckinridge Greys
                            Liberty Rifles

Comment

After the RDII,I would assume the commutation jacket is the second most widely seen jacket in the ANV.But this is a guess as I have spent much of my time researching the AOT.
                              Cullen Smith
                              South Union Guard

Comment

Working...
                              X