Interesting "acorn cap" pic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interesting "acorn cap" pic

Nifty tintype showing an infantryman who has an officer's hat cord rakishly draped around his forage cap.

The acorn was, indeed, the symbol of the 14th A. C., but the seller's "explanation," as is too often the case, better betrays his ignorance than his knowledge.

Check it out,

Mark Jaeger
    Regards,

Mark Jaeger

Re: Interesting "acorn cap" pic

Hi,

I have been noticing that in this picture and others, that Federal soldiers seem wear the colar of their frock coats turned down like a sack coat colar. It is a interesting look, and if I ever get a Federal frock coat I will have to try it.
    Andrew Kasmar

Comment

Andrew,

That makes sense about the collar!

Makes sense... especially if you HATE stuff rubbing on your neck like I do... ties, shirts, collars, etc...

Looks like my peculiarities might be period and I may have to try this newly discovered and documented collar option! he he

Thanks to Mark for the post!

Your obedient servant,
      Chris Sedlak
      [FONT="Palatino Linotype"][/FONT]
      Christopher Sedlak
      Iron City Guards
      (1st PA Light Art'y- Bt'y G / 9th PA Res. - Co. C)
      [B][FONT="Arial"][I]"Sole purveyor of the finest corn silk moustaches as seen in the image above, adhesive not included"[/I][/FONT][/B]

Comment

For the oppisite in Collar "alterations", check out the fellas who try to make their sack coats look like SA jackets and the like. There was an image here somewhere of a fellow with his buddies and their new SA jackets...only this guy didnt get one. He had the collar of his Sack turned up, and the bottom either cut off or tucked in.
        [FONT=Book Antiqua]Justin Runyon[/FONT][FONT=Book Antiqua]; Pumpkin Patch Mess: [/FONT][FONT=Book Antiqua]WIG-GHTI[/FONT]
        [FONT=Book Antiqua]Organization of American Historians[/FONT]
        [FONT=Book Antiqua]Company of Military Historians[/FONT]
        [FONT=Book Antiqua]CWPT, W.M., Terre Haute #19[/FONT][FONT=Book Antiqua] F&AM[/FONT]
        [FONT=Book Antiqua]Terre Haute Chapter 11 RAM[/FONT]

Comment

Speaking of "Acorn man", did anyone else notice the big honkin' ring on his left hand?
          Tim Kindred
          Medical Mess
          Solar Star Lodge #14
          Bath, Maine

Comment

Hi,

Mr. Runyon, could you post that picture of the guys with SA shell jackets and the one gentleman in a sack coat. Thanks.
            Andrew Kasmar

Comment

I noticed the huge ring on his finger. Too bad I could not see what it has on it. I remember years ago reading in a book. probably a children's book, and seeing a photo of a soldier that had "turned down his jacket so his paper collar and tie would show". I used to do that with a roundabout I had and a frock coat as well, even though both were totally farb. When I went to 145th Manassas that was my first event back east and I was not used to the humidity back there, having lived in Utah my whole life, So one of the first things I did was to turn down the collar on my Confederate frock and that made it a little bit better, especially due to the fact that I had bought it from Dan only like 3 weeks before the event so i was not used to the jean wool. Does anybody have any proof of Confederates turning down their collars? I will sometimes do that with my frock and unbutton the top two buttons to have "lapels" but that is just when I want to show off my "flight attendant tie" as my fiance calls it :).
              Capt. Kris Larson 32°
              Wasatch Lodge #1 F&AM Utah
              Worshipful Master, Uintah Lodge #7 F&AM Utah
              Camp Floyd Historic Lodge #205 F&AM Utah
              Rocky Mountain #11 F&AM Utah
              El Kalah Shrine

Co I 4th Texas
              Iron Rooster Mess
              [I][SIZE="1"]"Nothin's harder than a metal cock!"[/SIZE][/I]

Comment

Who knew that Vincent Gallo was a reenactor?

Joe Marti

...and yes, I did use the search function...

Comment

Originally posted by mtvernon View Post
                  Who knew that Vincent Gallo was a reenactor?

That's great, but I'm afraid the above pic suggests Vince tends to dip a little too deeply into the snuff pouch.

Very truly yours, &c.,

Mark Jaeger
                  Regards,

Mark Jaeger

Comment

Oh Gawd... return of the famous "dangling hat cord".
                    At least it was an interesting photo!
                    Lee Ragan

Comment

As many of you know soldiers did a lot to make their issue garments either more comfortable, stylish, or unique. I can't tell you how many times I've read that soldiers commenting on the shapelessness of the "feed bag" hat that was the forage cap or the hight of the dress hat. I have some quotes of my main unit's company tailor, who's name I can't find for the life of me, but I have some excerpts from his diary.

"Modified a collar today." "Mended some pants and lowered an issue hat to a one story affair."
                      Bryce Seyko
                      Co. H, 104th Illinois Vol. Inf.

Comment

Do I smell a potential reenactor trend??? I hope not.

WARNING: Could have been a studio prop! :sarcastic

Great picture. I love the details that have been mentioned, above.

Notice how shiney his brass is!!!! His uniform is also well kept, if not new. You can also notice that the leather is thin (after reading another post on the subject), as you can tell by the way the leather is bowing in toward the breastplate.

LOVE IT!
                        Guy W. Gane III
                        Casting Director/Owner
                        Old Timey Casting, LLC.

Member of:
                        49th NYVI Co. B
                        The Filthy Mess

Historian since 1982 - Reenactor since birth - Proud Member of the 'A.C.' since September 2004.sigpic

Comment

Hello
                          I've a problem with the picture that 's inverted .
                          The gun is at the left or at the right I don't inderstand how it's possible because it's a tin type ( picture on tin ware) .
                          Inversion like this could be seen for the paper picture from glass megatives or for positive glass picture ( ambrotype).
                          But I 've never seen that on métalic picture ( tintype or daguérotype)

For the ring, it had been colored ( gold peint) so it's look bigger

Thanks a lot for the very intresring picture and yours posts

Luc Geraudie

Comment

I have attached the photos to ensure they're saved for posterity.

Yours, &c.,

Mark Jaeger
                            Attached Files
                            Regards,

Mark Jaeger

Comment

Hi,

Another picture with a soldier wearing his frock coat colar down.
                              Attached Files
                              Andrew Kasmar

Comment

Working...
                              X