Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Commutation frock coat lining

Hi,

What lining would be correct for a commutation frock coat? I have seen reproductions and originals with checkered civilian lining, other civilian patterns, and osnaberg lining. Was plain off white cotton every used in the lining of these coats?
    Andrew Kasmar

Re: Commutation frock coat lining

From what I have seen in commutation frocks,all the things you said would be correct.These would have been paid for by the individual.If he wished for a good checked liner and he had the money,he could get it.If he wanted osnaberg,he could get osnaberg.I am not sure about plain white cotton.But for the most part,all the others would be correct.
    Hope this helps alittle.
    Cullen Smith
    South Union Guard

"Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore always carry a small snake"~W.C. Fields

"When I drink whiskey, I drink whiskey; and when I drink water, I drink water."~Michaleen Flynn [I]The Quiet Man[/I]

Comment

Hi All,

Also be aware that some commutation frocks were half lined in the chest only, or in the body only. In both cases the skirts are left unlined

All the best

Don S
      Don F Smith

Comment

Hi,

When I said plain off white cotton, I was meaning muslin. I have seen sleeves lined in muslin, but was wondering were whole commutation frock coats lined with muslin.
        Andrew Kasmar

Comment

I hope resurrecting this dead topic is not offensive.

Would a unlined linen commutation frock coat be incorrect?

I have plans on making a unlined linen frock coat for an event in July and I was curious about the lining.

Thanks!
          Paul Mullins

"Solang das Volk so übermäßig dumm ist, braucht der Teufel nicht klug zu sein."

Comment

Working...
          X