Mismatched buttons

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mismatched buttons

Several times a year, we do demonstrations involving various aspects of Confederate homefront textile production--washing loose wool, carding wool or cotton, hand spinning yarns, knitting, weaving, and such like.

In that context, I tend to pick up a lot of what Elizabeth Clark has dubbed 'drive by mending' --fellers with this or that button off, a hole here or there. I use those opportunities to teach new members how to patch, mend, darn, or properly sew on a button. And, we keep enough scrap uniform wool and heavy shirting around that a pretty good match can be made.

While shirt and underware buttons are easy to come by in my bottomless button box, when it comes to uniform buttons, I'm pretty clueless as to whether I'm sewing on the right button, as I rely on the soldier to bring his own buttons for such.

As I've spent more time here lately in collections belonging to Alabama Archives and History, one thing I have not seen is mismatched buttons on Confederate uniforms. And one of the tasks that often presents is a feller giving me a mismatched button(s), occassionally even Federal buttons to replace missing buttons on a well worn jean wool confederate uniform.

Somehow, I'm more partial to a plain coin button for this sort of job, rather than a Federal one, but in looking at the larger picture, I'm thinking this 'mismatched buttons' thing is another part of the 'ragged rebel' mythology.

So, what's out there in collections? Are there any uniforms showing an assortment of mismatched buttons?
    Terre Hood Biederman
    Yassir, I used to be Mrs. Lawson. I still run period dyepots, knit stuff, and cause trouble.

sigpic
    Wearing Grossly Out of Fashion Clothing Since 1958.

ADVENTURE CALLS. Can you hear it? Come ON.

Re: Mismatched buttons

It's a little known fact my dear that confederate uniform jackets almost always came with a spare button sewn on the inside...:D
    Just a private soldier trying to make a difference

Patrick Peterson
    Old wore out Bugler

Comment

Well, examples enough. Just to do a "drive by shooting," the Pendleton Tait Jacket has 5 CS Staffs, 1 "I" manuscript button, and two US eagles. The Barnes' Richmond Howitzers jacket has a mix of VA staff and New York buttons. Do I think the mix-and-match of buttons is a bit overdone in reenacting circles today? Probably, but my vote doesn't count. As they say, IMHO (is that the fish?), mileage may vary, etc.
      Bob Williams
      26th North Carolina Troops
      Blogsite: http://26nc.org/blog/

As [one of our cavalry] passed by, the general halted him and inquired "what part of the army he belonged to." "I don't belong to the army, I belong to the cavalry." "That's a fact," says [the general], "you can pass on." Silas Grisamore, 18th Louisiana

Comment

There exists a certain degree of myth about the use of Federal buttons on Confederate uniforms due in part to original specimens that have them. While this was probably done to a degree in field repairs, the more common placement of Federal buttons was done after the war because it was illegal for Confederate veterans to wear insignia associated with the rebellion. This practice went hand in hand with Confederate veterans covering thier old uniform buttons with cloth to hide the original insignia on them.

Part of the responsibility of the company level officer was to inspect the equipment and uniforms of the men under his command to see if they were functional and or if they needed replacement. Requests were routinely sent through the chain of command for new clothing items and accoutrements when they were necessary and those requests were routinely filled with new equipment issues as they became available. If taken as a whole the war only had a few periods were supplies were extremely difficult to get which was a condition that existed in both armies. If a jacket was field repaired and no longer uniform or if it was no longer considered completely functional when it was inspected it was replaced.

That would be my educated opinion about why we do not see many items of Confederate uniform clothing with mis-matched buttons on them. As a side note, I have to say that I do like the plain buttons myself, though.
        Matthew S. Laird
        [email]CampMcCulloch@gmail.com[/email]
        [COLOR="DarkRed"]Rogers Lodge #460 F&AM

Cane Hill College Mess, Company H, McRae's Arkansas Infantry
        Auxiliary, New Madrid Guards Mess
        [/COLOR]
        [I]"An association of men who will not quarrel with one another is a thing which has never yet existed, from the greatest confederacy of nations down to a town meeting or a vestry. "[/I] Thomas Jefferson

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

I actually had the honor of going on a relic hunt with a buddy of mine to several battlefields in Tennessee and we found two jackets or what was left of them(the buttons lined up in a perfect row) one had 3 Block I buttons and 2 Federal Eagle Buttons the other had all but 5 federal eagle buttons and 1 civilian button. So, I always put a few federal eagle buttons on my jackets.
          Kindest regards,

Robert "Rocky" Kilpatrick
          Prattville Lodge #89 F&AM

Comment

Hallo!

Not always a "CS" thing....

Although minor, there is a picture of a lad in the 63rd OVI where one of his blouse buttons was replaced with a small cuff button.

Curt
            Curt Schmidt
            In gleichem Schritt und Tritt, Curt Schmidt

-Hard and sharp as flint...secret, and self-contained, and solitary as an oyster.
            -Haplogroup R1b M343 (Subclade R1b1a2 M269)
            -Pointless Folksy Wisdom Mess, Oblio Lodge #1
            -Vastly Ignorant
            -Often incorrect, technically, historically, factually.

Comment

Intersting I have never heard that confederate jackets came with a replacement button my question is how and were they maybe attached to the garment.

as far as the button both the U.S. and the C.S. perscribed the eagle as the general service button just because it's an eagle dosen't mean that it's federal.

here is an example that i'm sure many of you have knowledge of.

[FONT="Franklin Gothic Medium"][SIZE="5"]Jasper Massey.
              [FONT="Arial Narrow"][SIZE="3"]Christopher Irelan.
              CFC.[/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT]

Comment

Jasper,

Peter the Bugler spent last weekend sleeping across my doorway. We've both just finished putting our thumbs together in the attempt to turn a fine piece of linen into a respectable civilian coat. Some projects go better than others.:p

His tounge was planted so firmly in his cheek with that extra button remark, I imagine I will have to sew up the hole in his face next time I see him.....:tounge_sm

And, as usual, I've gotten an education here--as the root of this question was my reluctance to change out perfectly good wooden buttons on a Confederate jean wool uniform for a few intermingled Federal eagles.....and I simply failed to ask the coat owner the right question when I was expressing my problem.
                Terre Hood Biederman
                Yassir, I used to be Mrs. Lawson. I still run period dyepots, knit stuff, and cause trouble.

sigpic
                Wearing Grossly Out of Fashion Clothing Since 1958.

ADVENTURE CALLS. Can you hear it? Come ON.

Comment

If memory serves me correctly there is a shell jacket in Confederate Memorial Hall that belonged to a sgt. with the Washington Artillery. The buttons on the front and the epaulettes are Louisiana but the belt loop has a Federal Eagle. All appear to be original to the coat.
                  Timothy J. Koehn
                  Boone's Louisiana Battery
                  Supporting Confederate Memorial Hall, New Orleans, LA
                  http://www.confederatemuseum.com/

Comment

Working...
                  X