Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CS Sgt Majors Stripes

Comrades,

I've used the search function, googled et al, so I figured Id ask the question.

Anybody ever seen (besides the disputed jacket mentioned in another thread) seen extant examples of Confederate Sgt Majors stripes on jackets or coats? Most of the times I have seen pictures of men said to be Sergeants Major show them with no stripes ( possibly an early image) Soooo I was wondering if they even bothered with stripes ( all ranks included). I am mostly interested in the mid to late war periods

Thanks in advance
    Robert W. Hughes
    Co A, 2nd Georgia Sharpshooters/64th Illinois Inf.
    Thrasher Mess
    Operation Iraqi Freedom II 2004-2005
    ENG Brigade, 1st Cavalry Div. "1st Team!"
    Iraq & Afghanistan Veterans of America

Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, "Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?"
    And I said "Here I am. Send me!" Isaiah 6:8

Re: CS Sgt Majors Stripes

Drury Coffey, 58th North Carolina Troops. It's hard to tell if they were merely painted on the photo, or sewn on and painted over. You decide.
    Last edited by roundshot; 06-02-2008, 03:52 PM.
    Bob Williams
    26th North Carolina Troops
    Blogsite: http://26nc.org/blog/

As [one of our cavalry] passed by, the general halted him and inquired "what part of the army he belonged to." "I don't belong to the army, I belong to the cavalry." "That's a fact," says [the general], "you can pass on." Silas Grisamore, 18th Louisiana

Comment

Re: CS Sgt Majors Stripes

Wow amazing image.... heh almost looks like he has MY beard!! It occured to me that those look more like Co. Quartermaster stripes though. It also seems to me he's awful young to have that much gray in his beard.. war will do that to ya though
      Robert W. Hughes
      Co A, 2nd Georgia Sharpshooters/64th Illinois Inf.
      Thrasher Mess
      Operation Iraqi Freedom II 2004-2005
      ENG Brigade, 1st Cavalry Div. "1st Team!"
      Iraq & Afghanistan Veterans of America

Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, "Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?"
      And I said "Here I am. Send me!" Isaiah 6:8

Comment

Working...
      X