Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Original Buckle from Cal Vol Camp Site

Hi All,

Thought I'd share a little about a great find I have had.

I recently purchased for my collection a belt plate dug at the site of Camp Stanford ( Later Ft Grant) here in Arizona.

Due to the plates type (Gaylord Manufacture type, from 1857 untill 1861). It is likely that this plate was issued and used by the California Vols that established Camp Stanford (Later in 1865 re-named Ft Grant).

Don S

Here is a little back ground history on the plate, and the sites history from which it came:

The Plate was dug years ago from FT. GRANT Arizona Territory.

Originally established as Fort Arivaypa and then changed to Fort Breckinridge. The camp was situated in an unhealthy location in the Aravaipa Canyon (until a new site for the post was selected in 1872).

The camp was destroyed on July 10, 1861 in order to keep its supplies out of Confederate hands. The post was re-established on May 18, 1862 by the California Volunteers and renamed Camp Stanford for Governor Leland Stanford of California. Name was changed back to Fort Breckenridge in October of 1863.

On November 1, 1865 the post was renamed Camp Grant in honor of the Union hero General Ulysses S. Grant.

This is also the site of the infamous Camp Grant Massacre in March of 1871. 550 Pinals and Arivaipa were stationed at Fort Grant after coming in from the Pinal Mountains. On April 30, 1871 William S. Oury and Elias led 146 men against the indians killing 144 almost all women and children and taking 29 captive.

There was a trial, but the perpertrators were set free.

Later on, the soldiers of Fort Grant played a prominent role in the Apache War of the 1880's. The garrison was withdrawn in 1898, and the fort remained abandoned except for a caretaker by the name of Colonel William F. Stewart in the Artillery Corps untill its official closing at the dawn of the 20th Century.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by D F Smith Historic; 04-29-2008, 10:32 PM. Reason: spelling
    Don F Smith

Re: Original Buckle from Cal Vol Camp Site

Very nice find, Don. Thank you for sharing that with us, it is certainly interesting.

Would it be possible to also see an image of the back of the plate? I like details
    Jim Conley

Member, Civil War Trust

"The 'right' events still leave much to be desired." - Patrick Lewis

Comment

Hi Jim,

Thanks! I am pretty excited to have it

Sure thing. I will take some pictures tonight or tomorrow AM of the plate from a few different angles

Don
      Don F Smith

Comment

Ok

Here are some more pictures of the plate.

Don S
        Attached Files
        Don F Smith

Comment

Don,

Thanks for sharing the pictures and background info, always interested in original details.

Bob Hutton
          Bob Hutton:)

14th NC "Wild Cats"

Comment

Working...
          X