English Snake Belt on Union Soldier

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• English Snake Belt on Union Soldier

I was looking through EOG: Arms and Equipment of the Union and stumbled across a picture, on page 8, of the 78th Pennsylvania Infantry. There is a soldier on the very bottom row, in the center wearing an English snake buckle belt. I don't think it was common. I cannot find the picture online, so those of you who have that book take a look and let me hear some input on that. How common was it for a Federal soldier to wear a snake belt?

Best Regards,
    Justin Connor

Re: English Snake Belt on Union Soldier

Justin,

Check out Paul Johnson's Cartridge box book...he has a few great photos of Fed's wearing entire sets of english gear! According to his book, "the state of Massachusetts had purchased some 3,000 sets of English accoutrements"...Feds with english gear is rare, but it did occur, and there are photos to prove it!

Nick Duvall
    Duvall Leatherwork
    314 Wyoming Ave
    Kingston, PA 18704
    (570)283-9297
    duvall_leatherwork@hotmail.com
    Experience the exceptional fine leather goods from Duvall Leatherwork. Explore our collection of wallets, belts, handbags, accessories, and gifts.
    Nick Duvall

Comment

If you look at the pic's taken on lookout mtn you will see them spread throught out but not in mass. I was told once that kit's were issued to the pice in full meaning if you had an enfield you got an english set but I have never found any documentation on that but I haven't looked very hard either but an educated guess leads me to say it aint so.
      [FONT="Franklin Gothic Medium"][SIZE="5"]Jasper Massey.
      [FONT="Arial Narrow"][SIZE="3"]Christopher Irelan.
      CFC.[/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT]

Comment

The 6th and 44th Mass was fully equiped with English accoutrements including the (snake) bucke belts. Thre was a great article in North/South Trader magazine by Howie Madaus back in May/June 1983 with photos. Oddly enough, today I looked over a Ross English cart box with black shoulder belt still attached.

joe Walker

Comment

The more interesting thing is the orientation of the buckle. While it is agreed that English accoutrements were issued in greater or lesser amounts, the fact that this soldier wears a belt of English origin but Federal issue cap box and apparent Federal Cartridge box sling does little justice to the all or nothing argument.
          What is interesting here is the orientation of the snake. The buckle is intended to fasten from the right (male) to the left (female) by hooking up, that is the open end of thje snake head hooking up. This soldier is wearing it reversed.
          As there are no obvious orientations such as the letters US to show "green side up" and he appears to be very young, maybe nobody knew what to tell him. Then again, he was issued it by people who did not know the proper way or did not care how it was meant to be used. It worked and nothing fell off during the climb.
          Of more interest to accuracy is the backing which is the correct Enfield teardrop leather shape unlike the common short or flat backing to the buckle produced by most leather reproductions.
          Excellent observation. I have looked at this photograph many times and did not note this. Sometimes we stand too far so that we cannot see the trees for the forest.

Erik Simundson
          Erik Simundson

Comment

check out this image that was on Ebay about a year ago...no unit ID given

Mark Susnis
            Attached Files
            Mark Susnis
            Msusnis@hotmail.com

Comment

Mark,

WOW...That's a great photo!!! He is wearing an American style scabbard, with English accoutrements! Thanks for sharing...

Nick Duvall
              Duvall Leatherwork
              314 Wyoming Ave
              Kingston, PA 18704
              (570)283-9297
              Experience the exceptional fine leather goods from Duvall Leatherwork. Explore our collection of wallets, belts, handbags, accessories, and gifts.
              Nick Duvall

Comment

Mark & Nick,
                Heck Yeah! What's more...
                He's totin' a Lorenz to go with all that Brit gear!!!!
                John Wickett
                Former Carpetbagger
                Administrator (We got rules here! Be Nice - Sign Your Name - No Farbisms)

Comment

John,

Good eye...I totally overlooked that one!!! Well, that would explain the American style bayonet scabbard!! The scabbard was separate to accommodate the Lornez bayonet! This is a great example of, "Never say Never" with CW gear!!!

Nick Duvall
                  Duvall Leatherwork
                  314 Wyoming Ave
                  Kingston, PA 18704
                  (570)283-9297
                  Nick Duvall

Comment

Hallo!

IMHO...
                    Never throw away a perfectly good belt and buckle just to get a "matching" rifle. :)

Curt
                    Curt Schmidt
                    In gleichem Schritt und Tritt, Curt Schmidt

-Hard and sharp as flint...secret, and self-contained, and solitary as an oyster.
                    -Haplogroup R1b M343 (Subclade R1b1a2 M269)
                    -Pointless Folksy Wisdom Mess, Oblio Lodge #1
                    -Vastly Ignorant
                    -Often incorrect, technically, historically, factually.

Comment

Here's some more...The CDV was up for bid on Ebay. Check out this image from Mike Medhurst's awesome Civil War images site..SGT John Emery with an English snake buckle

Regards,
                      Mark Susnis
                      Last edited by Mark Susnis; 05-04-2008, 09:35 AM. Reason: attachment
                      Mark Susnis
                      Msusnis@hotmail.com

Comment

here's the attached CDV that was on Ebay..

Mark Susnis
                        Attached Files
                        Mark Susnis
                        Msusnis@hotmail.com

Comment

Originally posted by Devildog0311 View Post
                          I was looking through EOG: Arms and Equipment of the Union and stumbled across a picture, on page 8, of the 78th Pennsylvania Infantry. There is a soldier on the very bottom row, in the center wearing an English snake buckle belt. I don't think it was common. I cannot find the picture online, so those of you who have that book take a look and let me hear some input on that. How common was it for a Federal soldier to wear a snake belt?

Best Regards,
                          Another interesting english note on that photo are a few guys who are apparently wearing english boxes. If you look closely at some of the gents they seem to have very narrow box belts sans eagle plates. This may be an indication of english c-box use with 1.5" belts. I love that photo - great variety of jackets, hats accoutrements.
                          Garrett W. Silliman

[I]Don't Float the Mainstream[/I]
                          [SIZE="1"]-Sweetwater Brewing Company, Atlanta, GA[/SIZE]

Comment

Working...
                          X