Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1st/2nd Maryland Cross Bottany

Hello,

I have read a good deal on the First and Second Maryland Infantry/Battalion (CS), including Kimmel's 1989 uniform article for the Company of Military Historians, as well as Goldsborough's Maryland Line. (Interestingly, state seal buttons seem relatively common in this unit, even later in the war.) I have gained a pretty good overview of the transitions within their uniform styles, but I am not as clear on how soon the Marylanders began wearing the cross bottony on their jackets.

I am aware of the example in Echoes of Glory, which includes "2nd" or a "2", denoting the unit designation of the 2nd Maryland, mustered into service in late 1862. So I suppose I will refine my question to: is there evidence that the 1st Maryland Infantry (May 1861 - August 1862) wore the Calvert cross on their jackets? If so, how specific can we pinpoint the date provenance?

A point in the right direction and/or recommended reading would be appreciated.

Thank you.

Jonathan Vaughan
    Last edited by J_V; 05-05-2008, 04:44 PM. Reason: spelling
    Jonathan Vaughan
    14th Tennessee
    3rd Missouri

Re: 1st/2nd Maryland Cross Bottany

Check out "Band of Brothers" by Daniel D. Hartzler. It is a photographic compendium of Maryland Confederate uniforms and insignia. From the examples of the Bottony Cross, as I recall (I might be wrong) most surviving examples in his book are associated with the Maryland Cavalry.

As for wear of the Maryland Buttons and the Bottony Cross, you might want to contact the Chesapeake Volunteer Guard. I am sure they have some great information on what is appropriate to wear.

The one surviving private's jacket of the 1st Md Artillery which is a late war example transition type 2/3 has only a mix of script Infantry and block Artillery buttons.
    Harry Aycock

Chief Surgeon
    Southern Division

Comment

Many thanks.

Jonathan Vaughan
      Jonathan Vaughan
      14th Tennessee
      3rd Missouri

Comment

Just a tidbit of trivia- the modern Maryland Army National Guard issues a bronze bottany cross for the 2nd and subsequent awards of the Maryland Service Medal (think that's the proper title, I have one) that you fix to the ribbon and the medals.
        Charles Pinkham
        formerly of A Troop, 1/158th Cavalry "First to the Front"
        I.Y.A.C.Y.A.S.

Comment

Jon,

Try and get in touch with the 2nd MD company that is affliated with the CMF. There are some guys in there who have done a load of research on the particular groups you are asking about. The battalion's website is currently in the process of being rebuilt, but should hopefully be completed in the near future with contact information for each company.
          Pards,

Jared Byrnes

Comment

Jonathan,
            In my research of Maryland units, it is my understanding that this tradition started when the Marylanders joined the Conf. Army to show their pride in their state. I wish I had the specific reference for you but I can't recall it off the top of my head. Many soldiers wore the pins to show they were from MD when they were in units from other states, namely VA. Several VA regiments, 1st VA Cav, 7th VA Cav, 21VA Inf, to name a few, had entire companies if not the majority of the men in some companies from MD. To show that they were from MD, they wore the MD cross. So, I believe this started early in the war.
            A side note on the buttons that you mentioned. The last uniforms the 2nd MD was issued, "the surrender coat" that came from North Carolina has MD buttons on it. That uniform was issued I believe in Feb or March of 65. The buttons were made at Waterbury in CT. I find it at the very least interesting that at the end of the war, somehow these buttons manufactured in CT somehow made it all the way to NC to put on this jacket.
            Rob Bruno
            1st MD Cav
            Rob Bruno
            1st MD Cav
            http://1stmarylandcavalry.com

Comment

I asked my company commander about this (2nd Md Co H CS, CVG Co A), here is what he said to me...

I'm pretty sure the Marylanders were officially authorized to where the cross on their jacket in early 1864. I have to look for the exact account of this, but I'm pretty sure they were authorized to do so. Photographic evidence may show that the guys were doing this early, but perhaps they put the cross on just for the photo. I'm not sure if they wore them in the field. Another problem was lack of resources to be wasted on decorative items like the cross. McHenry Howard wrote in his book that he wanted to see the creation of something like a corps badge in the later part of the war. He does not state whether or not this was a Maryland thing or a cross or whatever. The problem was he just could not find the material to make them. My guess if he could not find the cloth. Other things like metal would have better used on other things more important to the war effort. On the other hand Maryland crosses have been dug up at 1st and 2nd Maryland camp sites, so some guys must have had them. Another things to watch out for is crosses that were made after the war for the veterans and their reunions. I bet a lot more guys wore them after the war than during the war. I have a collectors article on the Maryland cross. You should have received a copy when you first joined Co. H. That may provide you with some additional information.

I am going to try and dig up the article he mentions for you as well...

Bob Martin
              Chesapeake Volunteer Guard, Company A
              2nd MD Co H CS
              1st MD Co A US
              1st Platoon Mess
              Bob Martin
              Company A "Chesapeake Rifles"
              Chesapeake Volunteer Guard
              sigpic

Comment

Again, many thanks to all for your input. It does help.

Jonathan Vaughan
                Jonathan Vaughan
                14th Tennessee
                3rd Missouri

Comment

Working...
                X