Commutation For Rations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Commutation For Rations

While going over the compiled service records of Pvt. Hugh C. Queen of Company C, 1st Georgia Regulars, I came across an interesting form. It was a commutation for rations signed by Hugh's company commander for Hugh to be reimbursed for rations consumed while he was on furlough.

According to the form, Hugh was on furlough from 16 July 1863 to 11 August 1863. It was calculated that Hugh was reimbursed for 26 days at 33 cents for a grand total of $8.58.

The record shows that Hugh received his reimbursement at Apalachicola Arsenal, Florida on 12 September 1863.

Was this normal for a company commander to authorize commutations for rations consumed while a soldier was on furlough?

Roy Queen

Re: Commutation For Rations

The references below are from Kautz's Customs of Service... They are extracts of U.S. Army regs governing commutation of rations for private soldiers. While I do not have specific C.S. regs, they mirror very closely the U.S. regs.

709. Where it is very inconvenient to carry rations, or where they cannot be obtained, the soldiers can purchase their own food at their discretion, and will subsequently be reimbursed by the commutation of the ration. Under any circumstances, where a soldier does not receive his rations in kind, they can always be commuted at the cost-price of the ration, when due. (See paragraphs 36 and 37).

36. A soldier serving away from his company, and it being impracticable to draw his rations or to carry them with him, the commissary may commute them at seventy-five cents per day when due, or in advance on the order of the commanding officer (Reg. 1216.)

37. This contemplates services for short periods, such as carrying expresses, pursuit of deserters &c.; and where soldiers are placed on duty in a situation where subsistence is unusually expensive it would no doubt be allowed. Otherwise, on furlough or on duty, where rations cannot be issued in kind, they will be commuted at the cost price of the place or station. (Reg. 1218.)
    [B]Bob Firth
    [I]Awkward Squad Mess[/I][/B]

[COLOR="Blue"][U]CR COI: Apr 2010
    Spangler's Spring LH: 12-13-June 2010
    Return to Manassas: 27-19 Aug 2010
    Unison, VA: Oct 2010
    [/U][/COLOR]

Comment

Working...
    X