Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 14th corps 1st division badges

Ok i have a question,
    My unit has picked the 19th US Regulars to do as our federal impression.We are in the 14th Corps 1st Division.I know its the acorn,but what color is it.Is it red,white,or blue.Can anybody help me out?
    Brian Maddox
    37th Tn Co H

Re: 14th corps 1st division badges

1st Divn. Red
    2nd Divn. White
    3rd Divn. Blue
    Matt Woodburn
    Retired Big Bug
    WIG/GHTI
    Hiram Lodge #7, F&AM, Franklin, TN
    "There is a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

Comment

1st division is red, 2nd division is white, third division is blue.
      So, red acorn.
      [FONT=Trebuchet MS]Joanna Norris Forbes[/FONT]

Comment

thanks,now do you know how big it was?I can get the material,but don't know what size it was.
        Brian Maddox
        37th Tn Co H

Comment

Check out the tried, and true "Hard Tack and Coffee". It has a section devoted to corps badges.

Respectfully....
          Sean Collicott
          Your humble servant....
          Sean Collicott
          [URL="www.sallyportmess.itgo.com"]Sally Port Mess[/URL]
          [URL="http://oldnorthwestvols.org/onv/index.php"]Old Northwest Volunteers[/URL]

Comment

ok will do,thanks for the help
            Brian Maddox
            37th Tn Co H

Comment

IMHO, it would be more common to have an acorn badge made of metal than one of fabric. They seem to show up in photos more often......and if you had one made of metal, you wouldn't need to paint it to make it division-specific.

I have a good metal acorn with "14th A.C." on it in black letters.....sutlers used to sell them but I don't know if they're still available. The front presents an authentic appearance. If you wanted to "hardcore" it you would remove the modern pin-back and put on a t-bar back....then you have a truly excellent badge.

Mike Willey
              late of the 49th Ohio and Coffee-coolers

Comment

i thought only officers wore the metal badges,and everybody else wore the cloth ones
                Brian Maddox
                37th Tn Co H

Comment

Hallo!

"i thought only officers wore the metal badges, and everybody else wore the cloth ones"

In brief and to over-generalize..

Corps badges were not an item of regulation issue, but rather a hodgepodge mix of group issue, individual private purchase, and self-made items.

So, they can be found as "mass" produced cloth, jeweler's quality metals,
                  sutler sold items, and home-made ones including those made of cut out bone,
                  etc. And in many forms such as cap or hat devices, as well as breast pins, etc. (not to mention post War commemorative amnd veteran type private and commercial products)

Curt
                  Curt Schmidt
                  In gleichem Schritt und Tritt, Curt Schmidt

-Hard and sharp as flint...secret, and self-contained, and solitary as an oyster.
                  -Haplogroup R1b M343 (Subclade R1b1a2 M269)
                  -Pointless Folksy Wisdom Mess, Oblio Lodge #1
                  -Vastly Ignorant
                  -Often incorrect, technically, historically, factually.

Comment

ok thanks for the information
                    Brian Maddox
                    37th Tn Co H

Comment

Look at corps badges in period photos. You might see cloth badges for eastern corps in the Army of the Potomac, etc. (1st, 2d, 3d, 5th, etc.), as well as metal badges.

In the West, it is pretty rare to find a cloth corps badge. I'm not saying they didn't exist, but rather that they are not nearly as common. It is more typical to see a metal badge of coin silver or something similar.

Mike Willey
                      late of the 49th Ohio and Coffee-coolers

Comment

I suggest reviewing Rob Willis's chapter in the CRRC 2nd Ed. regarding corps badges--it should have all the info a reenactor wants to know about corps badges and more.

To generalize, most "Western" corps adopted badges quite a bit later than their Eastern counterparts, and hence many "Western" corps badges would only have been a "late war" (define that as you will without possessing documentation as to when a certain corps adopted its corps badge) item.

Comment

Just to increase your info, the 19th was in the Fourth Brigade of the First Division at Stone's River and in the First Brigade of the First Division at Chickamauga. None of which has any bearing on corps badges, but its still nice to know where they were.
                          Just as an aside, I dont think that any of our group wear corps badges...
                          Scott McGowan,
                          35th OVI, Co. G
                          Co. A, 1st Bat. 19th US Inf
                          Past Master,
                          Lebanon Lodge #26, F&AM

Comment

Here's my suggestion: don't wear it...or only sparingly wear it.

The acorn device of the 14th Army Corps was not officially adopted until 26 April 1864 (G.O. 62, HQ Department of the Cumberland, Chattanooga) Ergo, given this occurred just before the commencement of the Atlanta Campaign, and also allowing for normal "filtering-down" time, such items likely didn't start appearing in any significant numbers much prior to Summer 1864.

Indeed, I've got a sawbuck that says the first time many 14th A.C. vets put on an acorn badge was....at a regimental reunion after the war. For example, the 10th Indiana Volunteer Infantry (2/3 and 3/3, 14th A.C.), mostly raised in my area of Indiana, mustered out of service on 19 September 1864. However, I have yet to see a wartime photograph showing one of its men--officer or enlisted--wearing a corps badge. The first official regimental reunion for the 10th IVI didn't take place until 1878, while the official regimental badge (incorporating the acorn device) wasn't adopted until 1885. Go figure.

I have attached an ad from the 11 June 1864 "Harper's Weekly," which is one of the first--if not the first--ads I've found showing the "new" acorn badge. Interestingly, I researched the name inscribed on the badge displayed in the ad and there was, indeed, an "S. H. Hurd" who served in the 17th OVI. Details are also attached. Given the date of the ad, Hurd must have ordered the badge shortly after he got wind of G. O. 62. Hurd, being a QM, certainly would have been in a better position than most to know about such things.

I furthermore strongly suspect Lieutenant Hurd got a chuckle out of seeing his "name in the papers" when he cracked open his weeks-old copy of "Harpers" while on campaign.

Regards,

Mark Jaeger
                            Attached Files
                            Last edited by markj; 05-07-2008, 07:14 PM.
                            Regards,

Mark Jaeger

Comment

Originally posted by Matt Woodburn View Post
                              1st Divn. Red
                              2nd Divn. White
                              3rd Divn. Blue
                              4th Division. Green
                              Not common, but it did happen.
                              Bernard Biederman
                              30th OVI