Rubberized Cloth Officer's Haversack

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rubberized Cloth Officer's Haversack

I have been researching Officer's furnishings over the past several years and it occured to me that I have never seen any reference to haversacks made from rubberized cloth. I have of course found them in painted cloth and leather, but find it hard to believe none were made of rubberized cloth as it was used for other private purchase items. I was wondering if anyone had uncovered evidence of such in thier travels.
    Your Most Ob't. Serv't.,
    Andrew Dangel,

Re: Rubberized Cloth Officer's Haversack

For what it is worth, I own a "mainstream" sutler rubberized haversack. It is "based" on a original or at least a period advertisment of one. I can't remember much about the documentation but the maker did provide it to me when I made the purchase, and it did resemble the picture he had. It is basically a plain haversack with button closuer and liner on the inside, not of the officer style or grade. hope this helps a little.
    Robert Ambrose

Park Ranger
    Fort Frederick State Park, Maryland
    5th Virginia Infantry Co. K

Comment

There is an image of a dead Confederate in the attached image. I believe the image is from Ft. Mahone, Petersburg VA. The image was posted as part of a discussion on Ft. Mahone dead and specifically a corduroy overshirt (seen in another image): http://www.authentic-campaigner.com/...t=16240&page=6

The image clearly shows a haversack, which I assume to be made from a Gum Blanket. While not helping with your quest for an Officer's Rubberized Haversack...it does provide an example of a haversack produced from vulcanized rubber material.

For further information, you may want to check out the various relic/collectors shows...as there are several individuals operating in these circuits who specialize in military rubber artifacts.
      Attached Files
      Paul B. Boulden Jr.

RAH VA MIL '04
      (Loblolly Mess)
      [URL="http://23rdva.netfirms.com/welcome.htm"]23rd VA Vol. Regt.[/URL]
      [URL="http://www.virginiaregiment.org/The_Virginia_Regiment/Home.html"]Waggoner's Company of the Virginia Regiment [/URL]

[URL="http://www.military-historians.org/"]Company of Military Historians[/URL]
      [URL="http://www.moc.org/site/PageServer"]Museum of the Confederacy[/URL]
      [URL="http://www.historicsandusky.org/index.html"]Historic Sandusky [/URL]

Inscription Capt. Archibold Willet headstone:

"A span is all that we can boast, An inch or two of time, Man is but vanity and dust, In all his flower and prime."

Comment

Very interesting topic for me, as I recently acquired just such a reproduction.

It was made for me by a friend with several decades of experience examining original items. I had originally requested oilcloth, but he recommended rubberized cloth based on several originals he has examined over the years, one of which was the basis for the officers haversack he made for himself.

I wish I could point you toward an original you could view, or at least state that I've seen one myself. However, my information comes from a fellow with quite a bit of experience whose guidance I trust.

Not sure if this is exactly what you're looking for, but I hope it is helpful.

Kind Regards,
        John Wickett
        Former Carpetbagger
        Administrator (We got rules here! Be Nice - Sign Your Name - No Farbisms)

Comment

Mike Woshner who wrote the book on rubberized and gutta percha goods has only seen one extant example in his life. He bought it and last I remember, he still has it. I have one that I came across a couple years ago that I'd love to have him look over. Still had a makers mark stamped on the inside. Research indicated the company started in 1864 in Bristol, RI, which was a large rubber manufacturing city at that time. So, to answer your question, were they made? Answer is yes. I don't know anything about quantity made, who might have had them issued to them, etc. to come up with a PEC comment. Hope that helps.
          Matt Woodburn
          Retired Big Bug
          WIG/GHTI
          Hiram Lodge #7, F&AM, Franklin, TN
          "There is a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

Comment

Thanks to all who had responded. I simply could not believe no examples of rubberized bags existed (though I agree they probably were not as common as other versions) and was curious if anyone had any more info. I will continue following up by pursuing the leads given. Thanks!
            Your Most Ob't. Serv't.,
            Andrew Dangel,

Comment

OK, here's mine. The texture of the rubber is rough and not like what you see in repro stuff. It has a gusseted side. Hard rubber button closure with an anchor and arrow molded into it. Would love to know if that symbol has any significance. Inch wide strap. Wider at the bottom than at top. Yard stick will give perspective and dimensions. Stamped National Rubber Company, Bristol, RI inside. Company started in 1864. I have a full history of the company, principles, etc. that anyone can Google online. Hope this helps.
              Attached Files
              Matt Woodburn
              Retired Big Bug
              WIG/GHTI
              Hiram Lodge #7, F&AM, Franklin, TN
              "There is a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

Comment

Working...
              X