Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Steamboat Arabia - Everything you want to know!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Steamboat Arabia - Everything you want to know!

Now let's go play at the cobbler's section. Hundreds of boots and shoes for men, women and children are on display. This is a sampling. You could spend an entire day just looking over the styles and construction of the boots and shoes. Now let's arm you with real information and bust a few myths.

In the second picture you'll see a slip on shoe. Yep, a slip on. I looked on the inside to see if it was only sewn or if there was elastic inside between the tongue and sides. This one is merely sewn and you can see the stitching on the outside.

I've heard some people say eyelets in shoes are wrong. If you hear that from someone, they are wrong. In photos 2 and 3 you'll see shoes with eyelets.

Just as a comment, notice the embossed top of the boots with the word WARRANTED under a picture. There were a few different embossings on the boots they have.

And for you ladies, the last photo is a close up shot of some fancy shoes.
    Attached Files
    Matt Woodburn
    Retired Big Bug
    WIG/GHTI
    Hiram Lodge #7, F&AM, Franklin, TN
    "There is a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

Comment

Matt, Thanks for posting the pix of the buttons!

Art
      Art Stone
      13th N.J.V.
      Co."K"
      " Rally, Boys Rally"
      Last order from Cpt. H.C. Irish at Antietam

Comment

Matt,

I got to tour that collection last year, and was thinking to myself that if I carried half of the things in there I'd be bankrupt and be called a "farb" sutler.

As far as the tin goes, I've been telling folks about that collection for a while, trying to let them know that the only thing that is correct isn't hot dipped. Also, I'm no expert on tinware, but a tinsmith recently told me that a good portion of the hot dipped tin that was used in making tinware just prior to and during the war was machine dipped tin, which doesn't have the "roughness" or handmade look of the hand dipped tin. I have some items made from the machine dipped tin now, and you have to look close to tell the difference between it and electroplate.

As a side note, how about those ironstone bowls that are white with bright blue and green stripes that are in the "store" display in the museum.... ..Dollar General has some that look really close! Ha.
        Chris Utley
        South Union Mills
        [url]www.southunionmills.com[/url]
        [url]www.facebook.com/southunionmills[/url]

Comment

Honestly Matt if you had contacted Rick Gath about this he would have taken you on a back room tour fingering most everything... He has conserved alot of the stuff in the museum and has a wealth of knowledge on the subject. If'n I knew you was in town I would have taken you to all the colorful brothels and barrooms of the town( my paticular speciality) and BBQ joints to die for..
          Last edited by Shotgun Messiah; 05-10-2008, 11:25 AM. Reason: durned Missouri grammer
          Warren Hook
          First Sibley Mess
          New Madrid Guards
          WIG

"...And to Missouri we
          Extend both heart and hand
          And welcome her a sister
          Of our Confederate band
          Tho surrounded by oppression
          No one dare deter
          Her adding to our Bonnie Blue Flag
          Her bright and twelfth star! "

Lyrics, Bonnie Blue Flag, by Harry McCarthy, 1861.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt Woodburn View Post
            OK, no myths to be busted with these photos, just some cool clothing and yard goods. In the first shot you'll see clothing, bolts of cloth - they have wool on the back wall and the shiny fabric in the center foreground is black silk, skeins of red wool for knitting, hats, etc. They have some nice coats, a couple of which are nicely trimmed. One had nice Goodyear hard rubber buttons with great maker marks. They also have a pile of Goodyear buttons that were headed to somebody's store. The first burgundy wool work shirt has a unique angle for the opening in the front. Haven't seen that before. And notice the two tabs with a button closure on the front of the collar. Just a cool style. The second burgundy wool overshirt shows a close up of the front placket. It's give a pleated look with only one real knife pleat. The wool where the buttons are sewn on extends under the placket and there is one pleat to the right in the picture that we pulled up to show the construction. Would love to see Speedy, Daley, Wambaugh, Hanes, Clark, etc. make a few of these. There is a lot more clothing there including a knit wool undershirt. Silvana posted the knit shirt above in this thread. So what do you think about these items?
            Matt, Did you get a chance to look at the woolen overshirt??? My pard that works there said that research indicates that it may be a border ruffian shirt. Something about the military buttons.

RM
            Rod Miller
            [COLOR=SlateGray]Old Pards[/COLOR]
            [COLOR=DarkRed]Cornfed Comrades[/COLOR]
            [COLOR=Navy]Old Northwest Volunteers[/COLOR]

[FONT=Palatino Linotype]"We trust, Sir, that God is on our side." "It is more important to know that we are on God's side."
            A. Lincoln[/FONT]

150th Anniversary
            1861 Camp Jackson-Sgt. German Milita US
            1st Manassas- Chaplain T. Witherspoon, 2nd Miss. Inf. CS
            1862 Shiloh -Lt. ,6th Miss. Inf. CS
            1863 VicksburgLH-Captain Cephas Williams, 113th Co.B US
            Gettysburg BGA- Chaplain WilliamWay, 24th MI US
            1864 Charleston Riot-Judge Charles Constable "Copperhead".
            Bermuda Hundred Campaign-USCC Field Agent J.R. Miller

Comment

Warren,

I did get a great tour from Dave Hawley the owner. He opened the museum on Sunday morning to me when only he and his parents were there. We went through all of the climate and light controlled rooms behind the glass where the public has to stop. We picked up items to examine, photographed whatever I wanted, etc. He was really gracious. We went to the room where one of his preservationists was at work preparing a boot. She went through the entire lengthy process of getting it thawed out to cleaning - they have a huge reverse osmosis system for their water because of the chemicals and microorganisms you find in city water - the polyethylene glycol soak, freeze drying and weighing until the weight is stable, etc. We went into the freezer which is the size of a boxcar and is kept at -10 degrees, where all the items waiting for preservation are kept. There are over 3000 pairs of boots and shoes in there alone, two prefabricated houses like you would have oredered from a Sears catalog, and 1000s of other things waiting their turn for preservation.

I had some good BBQ, but when I get out there again, I'll take you up on a great BBQ tour.
              Matt Woodburn
              Retired Big Bug
              WIG/GHTI

Comment

Rod,

Yes, I did get to look closely at the shirts that I photographed. They do not have military buttons on them, just plain white china. There is another shirt that I think your friend is referring to. I've seen pictures of it, but didn't see it there. This place was simply too huge. Imagine walking into WalMart and starting to inspect every item there. I had 3.5 hours which would be like getting down one isle at WalMart. For the average tourist 3.5 hours is fine for the museum available to the public. But when you consider everything behind the scenes, items not on public display, etc. it was a whirlwind tour.

The shirt your friend is referring to can be seen on the Arabia's website, www.1856.com, in the collection section on the bottom row.

Dave has a small pile of military buttons that I photographed and later identified for him. They are Navy buttons shown below, and are Albert NA101A or Tice NA203 depending on the cataloging system you are using.
                Attached Files
                Matt Woodburn
                Retired Big Bug
                WIG/GHTI

Comment

Hey Matt, thanks for the picture of the fancy shoes. I don't think I noticed those the last time I went. I was probably mesmerized by the rubber overshoes. Those things are A-Mazing. I took a bunch of pictures, but I'm going to have to dig through my files to find them again. I'll upload them and post them here when I find them, though.
                  Anna Allen
                  <a href="http://starofthewestsociety.googlepages.com/">Star of the West Society</a>
                  [COLOR="DarkRed"][B]The Cherry Bounce Girls Mess[/B][/COLOR] :p

[I]It's a damn poor mind that can only think of one way to spell a word.[/I]-Andrew Jackson

Comment

It is very surprising that the hats are round hats which was a common way to make such hats. Also that they look allot like Hardee types. Did the hats have linings though and did they have binding around the brim? I know a civilian wearing a blank hardee in our realm would not be looked upon as wearing a civilian hat but there they are. So much of that collection busts so many myths about the amount of goods and the quality that were sold. I do not think one sack coat was made of jean. We need to make a Arabia line of clothing.

"two prefabricated houses like you would have ordered from a Sears catalog"
                    Interesting enough but not uncommon. I worked restoring a 1848 Church and it was made upriver then disassembled then sent downriver. Many of these such churches were built that way. Prefab Religion.

Thanks again.
                    Last edited by Thomas Alleman; 05-10-2008, 04:25 PM.
                    Thomas J. Alleman
                    "If the choice be mine, I chose to march." LOR

Comment

Matt,great photos.After seeing the burgendy shirt,I think I'd want Mr. Wambaugh to make one up for me.And after looking at the website,I know I think I'd be crying as they locked the doors.That clothing looks amazing.
                      Cullen Smith
                      South Union Guard

"Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore always carry a small snake"~W.C. Fields

"When I drink whiskey, I drink whiskey; and when I drink water, I drink water."~Michaleen Flynn [I]The Quiet Man[/I]

Comment

Matt,
                        I would like to ask you a question about the Burgundy work shirt if I may.The collar on the shirt as the tabs that button together. Did you notice if there was a button hole on the front of the bib. Once the collar is buttoned, you would button the bib to the collar by way of the collar button. I've looked at the shirt for awhile and I think I sees one, but I might be mistaken. I would like to make one of these shirts if I can fine the right color wool. Any help would be great.
                        Thanks,
                        Art
                        Art Stone
                        13th N.J.V.
                        Co."K"
                        " Rally, Boys Rally"
                        Last order from Cpt. H.C. Irish at Antietam

Comment

Originally posted by Thomas Alleman View Post
                          It is very surprising that the hats are round hats which was a common way to make such hats. Also that they look allot like Hardee types. Did the hats have linings though and did they have binding around the brim? I know a civilian wearing a blank hardee in our realm would not be looked upon as wearing a civilian hat but there they are.
                          Those high crowned wide brimmed hats similar to a Hardee were a common civilian hat style in the 1850s. Gee, could the Hardee hat have a civilian antecedence? Example:

This man is also wearing a pilot coat (a paletot overcoat style similar to a pea coat very popular in the 1850s, sometimes worn as just a coat) very similar to those that were on the Arabia.
                          Ian McWherter

"With documentation you are wearing History, without it, it's just another costume."-David W. Rickman

Comment

Well, I suppose I should chime in here since my name has been mentioned a few times.

I do still work with the museum, though now in a rather limited capacity. I have been with them since 1999, and have on occasion, organized a few back room tour for folks on our end of the hobby. I am thrilled to hear that the Hawley's are opening the collection for more living historians, because believe me, it was not always so.

A few of the facts and figures about the boat in the thread are a little off -- I can't help it, I'm anal retentive, and an ass, so the little things bother me. -- but I won't bore you folks with the details, since it probably matters only to me. Rather, if anyone has any specific questions about the boat or the artifacts on it, I'm happy to answer to the best of my ability.

Thanks very much to Matt for the free press and the kind words. The Arabia is a gem, though sometimes suprisingly a hidden one. The museum and the Hawley's deserve all the exposure they can get.

Best Regards,
                            Rick Gath
                            First Sibley Mess
                            New Madrid Guards
                            WIG

[SIZE="2"][COLOR="Red"]Honorary Jonah for Life[/COLOR][/SIZE]

Comment

Do you have any information or pictures of the saddles and tack that were on the ship?

Thanks,

Chris Talburt

Comment

None of the hats have linings or sweat bands in them. Just like nothing that was stitched with natural thread was held together when it was brought up. Buttons, seams, linings, and such were all just sitting in place when they were uncovered. Last time I was there, there were not any linings with the hats. Although some may still be on ice in the cooler.
                                Mitchell L Critel
                                Wide Awake Groupie
                                Texas Ground Hornets

Comment

Working...
                                X