Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Steamboat Arabia - Everything you want to know!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Steamboat Arabia - Everything you want to know!

My photos aren't very good, because I was in a huge hurry (imagine having only one half hour to see the place!) but they'll give you an idea. The first is a display of earrings, the second is a knit shirt, and the last is just a shelf full of household goods.[/QUOTE]

oh how i would love those bottles they have on display. I'm a bottle collector as well as a civil war reenactor
    Your most humble and obedient servant,
    Erik W Creekmore,
    2nd Col Vol Inf.

Sgt Major, Territorial Battalion.

Comment

Has anyone come up with the image of the boot front yet?
      Eric Martinez
      Captain
      3rd Battery MO Light Artillery C.S.A.

Comment

Anyone have more details on the wood water buckets the Arabia has on display? From the images (see below) they look to be a bit wider than normal buckets we see today but are not wash bin size. Those would be perfect for watering horses when a water source isn't directly available. Thanks!

Click image for larger version

Name:	ARABIA_BUCKETS.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	79.2 KB
ID:	223770
        Click image for larger version

Name:	ARABIA_BUCKETS2a.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	491.7 KB
ID:	223771
        Respectfully,
        Jon Bocek

~ The Dandy Man Mess / WA / VLH / LR ~

Comment

This might be more portable.

http://www.librarycompany.org/mcalli...mages/2-05.jpg
          David H. Thomas
          Starr's NC Battery
          Fayetteville, NC

Comment

Of course it may be impossible for anyone to get permission to examine the tinware in the collection close enough to get the dimensions exactly right, but if you get the opportunity and if you see a piece of tinware in the Steamboat Arabia museum that you would like to have copy of I would be more than willing to talk to you. Ideally, the item should be carefully measured in diameter (bottom and top), width, depth, and lenght. All of the fittings, bail ears, wooden grips on wire bails, finials on coffee pot lids should also be described and measured. Photographs with a scale next to the item helps tremendously. How the various parts of the the item are assembled is particularly important and close in detail of the joints is critical. I will definitely stop at the museum the first chance I get.

In reference to the "hot dipped" debate I define hot dipped as having the same appearance as the tinplate custom made by the TinTinkers co-op.That is my definition and I have coined the name Vat Dipped for the tinplate being made in individual shops. A description of the manufacturing process for hot dipped (as opposed to electroplated) that was used for many decades in Britian before and after the American Civil War can be found on my web site in the section on Authentic 19th Centuary Tinware and in the references at the bottom of the article. The tinplate manufactured in Great Britian at that time was dipped in molten tin and smoothed with rollers to produce a smooth and shiny surface. It is my understnading that there was very little if any tinplate manufactured in the United States prior to the 1870's, although the manufacturing of the finished article from the imported sheet metal was wide spread.

For a complete history of tinplating through the adoption of electroplating find a copy of
            Hoare, W. E., and Hedges, E. S., 1942, Tinplate; Edward Arnold & Company, London, more than 265 pages.
            James Currens

Comment

There is an excellent discussion right here on the AC.
              Here is the link: http://www.authentic-campaigner.com/...light=Tinplate
              Beth Crabb

IN LOVING MEMORY OF
              John Crabb July 10, 1953 - Nov. 25, 2009

Comment

Working...
              X