Most Comfortable Shoes?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Most Comfortable Shoes?

This may be the wrong place to ask this, but who makes the most comfortable shoes on the market?
    Kindest regards,

Robert "Rocky" Kilpatrick
    Prattville Lodge #89 F&AM

Re: Most Comfortable Shoes?

Rocky,

For both fit and quality in construction, you cannot go wrong with Missouri Boot and Shoe.

They have a variety of military and civilian shoes available--a close reading of their website will give you a number of options appropriate to your unit impression.

Make a decision as to the type of socks you'll wear, and the number--some men are happier with a thin cotton sock topped by a wool sock. Others (like me) go for two pair of wool stockings even in warm weather. This all depends on your feet, and how they hold up under the various rigors of the hobby.

Once that decision is made, follow the rather exacting measurement directions on the website for your order. This is not an 'off the rack try on' sort of thing--you won't find these available at events to speak of.

Even a badly worn used pair I picked up in a trade was almost the best pair of shoes I'd ever had for comfort.
    Terre Hood Biederman
    Yassir, I used to be Mrs. Lawson. I still run period dyepots, knit stuff, and cause trouble.

sigpic
    Wearing Grossly Out of Fashion Clothing Since 1958.

ADVENTURE CALLS. Can you hear it? Come ON.

Comment

Camp shoes are clearly more comfortable than brogans, but I don't think that's the answer for which you are looking.
      Silas Tackitt,
      one of the moderators.

Click here for a link to forum rules - or don't at your own peril.

Comment

My robert land camp shoes are extremely comfortable, I'd suggest checking Missouri Boot and Shoe out as well. both makers are really great at what they do, and all my pards seem to swear by them both. hope that helps
        Adam Polanski

"Turtle Punch Mess"

Comment

If you're standing around on sutler row goofing off, camp shoes are comfortable. if you need to march long distances across streams or tall wet grass or sweat in them, they are brutal. As long as you are standing still they are fine, but once you move in them and they get wet, blisters form. I know scores of guys who've tossed camp shoes in the back of the reenacting closet because of this. Besides, they have no arch support and are not stable. You'll tend to roll your ankles with them. Check me out on Sutler Row and I'll be sporting them. Look at me on campaign and I'll have a good pair of well fit brogans.

I've got a pair of 19th century footwear that was made for me. The shoemaker took 13 measurements of my foot, used oak tanned leather and the proper thickness sole with a narrow waist and realistically sized heal. THIS IS THE MOST COMFORTABLE SHOW I OWN! More comfortable than sneakers, more comfortable than sandals. It doesn't matter which pattern you choose, just choose a pair that's well made and is made for you and not 'off the rack'.
          [COLOR="DarkRed"] [B][SIZE=2][FONT=Book Antiqua]Christopher J. Daley[/FONT][/SIZE][/B][/COLOR]

Comment

Ditto on the camp shoes. My Robert Land canvas camp shoes, although a half size too small for me, are exceedingly worthy. The only uncomfortable thing I personally have had to deal with is the "where are you going bowling" comments and the Ronald McDonald comparisons. I have since been working on my tan.

The Missouri Boot and Shoe advice (for other shoes) above is all very valid and worthy of your consideration. I followed this advice 5 or so years ago and have been nothing but thankful for the effort and cost it took to get the right fit. Good luck.
            Joe Madden
            13th New Hampshire Vols.
            Co. E
            Unattached

Comment

Well made + best fitting = comfortable. Well made = authentic in my mind and it is possible to get a well made, good fitting ,authentic shoe. As Chris says, your best bet is to have them custom made for you. There are precious few makers who can do that, M B & S being one.

As for camp shoes - there is a reason they are called "camp shoes" - they are for camp, not the field. I remember McDowell 1999 - Duke Culbertson wore a pair of camp shoes but quickly discarded them once we hit the road. He said they were worse than useless on the march. I am very hard on shoes, marching being my thing, and never forgot Duke's advice.
              Soli Deo Gloria
              Doug Cooper

"The past is never dead. It's not even past." William Faulkner

Please support the CWT at www.civilwar.org

Comment

Robert Land Federal-issue brogans... awesome. 10 years and mine are still like new with minimal upkeep.

- Johnny
                Johnny Lloyd
                John "Johnny" Lloyd
                Think before you post... Rules on this forum here
                SCAR
                Known to associate with the following fine groups: WIG/AG/CR

"Without history, there can be no research standards.
                Without research standards, there can be no authenticity.
                Without the attempt at authenticity, all is just a fantasy.
                Fantasy is not history nor heritage, because it never really existed." -Me

Proud descendant of...

Comment

Hallo!

While I appreciate the spirit of the question...

I would just add that dealing with Period clothing and gear in a Period manner is a more "Authentic" way to go... ;) :)

But yes, as Herr Doug shares, it is possible to combine the attributes of first being an "authentic" shoe with a shoe secretly designed and built to the exacting measurements of one's left and right feet.
                  In the end, no one knows the difference, except one's feet and one's ability to finish the march without being lame or crippled from foot injuries or severe blistering.

For some reason I do not understand, last month "premium" shoes I have worn for several years "raised" two deep blisters on my little toes so deep they bled. The day after the event I slowly hobbled and gimped to the parking lot relieved to change into modern "cross trainers." (Never, ever, happened before.) Gimped a bit for three days in modern shoes, pulling wool sock fibers out of the wounds...
                  I wonderful historical experience, that...

I favor Bod Serio's as he builds them to both feet individually.
                  Second, I favor Tom Mattimore.
                  IMHO, it takes the shoes that will get one to the end of the march without dropping out that ultimately matters.
                  And we all can have different "feetsessesss."

But, others feet and preferences, and mileage (no pun intended) will vary...
                  Curt Schmidt
                  In gleichem Schritt und Tritt, Curt Schmidt

-Hard and sharp as flint...secret, and self-contained, and solitary as an oyster.
                  -Haplogroup R1b M343 (Subclade R1b1a2 M269)
                  -Pointless Folksy Wisdom Mess, Oblio Lodge #1
                  -Vastly Ignorant
                  -Often incorrect, technically, historically, factually.

Comment

Lukas Berg.

If you can find a pair on the secondary market, buy them.
                    Brian DesRochers
                    Independent Rifles

Descendant of :

Cpl. James T. Ragsdale, Co. B. 6th Missouri Inf. C.S.A.,
                    Thomas Motley, Co. E. 7th Arkansas Inf. C.S.A.,
                    Joseph, Jasper, Jerry and Luney Ragsdale, 44th AL Inf C.S.A.

Comment

Originally posted by Curt-Heinrich Schmidt View Post
                      And we all can have different "feetsessesss."
                      Yep! I guess Curt and I are examples of different needs for different feet. MB&S Shoes don't work as well for me. They use a rather wide heel, but my feet are wide at the ball and narrow at the heel (like a size 11 triangle). As a result, the back of my foot slopped around in MB&S brogans (I used to have the Brit shoes) while walking unless I wore two pairs of thick socks.

A few years ago, I got a pair from Mick Nesseim. They are very well made and I don't have the back of my foot moving around. However, it has taken a while to break them in so I don't get blisters (just say "No!" to the clump sole!).

Here's the bottom of MJN brogans, showing the "clump" sole:

Here are MB&S brogans:

Here is the original from the MB&S site:
                      John Wickett
                      Former Carpetbagger
                      Administrator (We got rules here! Be Nice - Sign Your Name - No Farbisms)

Comment

Originally posted by Lucky View Post
                        Lukas Berg.

If you can find a pair on the secondary market, buy them.
                        That is pretty much rule #1 for shoes in this hobby.
                        Soli Deo Gloria
                        Doug Cooper

"The past is never dead. It's not even past." William Faulkner

Please support the CWT at www.civilwar.org

Comment

Missouri Boot and Shoe, by far....soft leather makes it feel like you're not even wearing shoes at all.

Eric Esser
                          Liberty Rifles
                          The Liberty Rifles A living history organization that honors the common fighting men and home-front civilians on both sides of the American Civil War.
                          Eric Esser

[I]Liberty Rifles
                          [url]www.libertyrifles.org[/url]
                          Gettysburg College Hockey
                          [url]www.gettysburghockey.com[/url][/I]

Comment

Originally posted by Curt-Heinrich Schmidt View Post
                            Hallo!

While I appreciate the spirit of the question...

I would just add that dealing with Period clothing and gear in a Period manner is a more "Authentic" way to go... ;) :)
                            Curt-

Affecting Glory-esque accent: "You be a harrrd man, suh...":pLOL

Good thing for me my period shoes are quite comfy after being worn for 10 years...

-Johnny Lloyd
                            Johnny Lloyd
                            John "Johnny" Lloyd
                            Think before you post... Rules on this forum here
                            SCAR
                            Known to associate with the following fine groups: WIG/AG/CR

"Without history, there can be no research standards.
                            Without research standards, there can be no authenticity.
                            Without the attempt at authenticity, all is just a fantasy.
                            Fantasy is not history nor heritage, because it never really existed." -Me

Proud descendant of...

Comment

I have a pair of MB&S Western Fed. brogans and and a pair of 174o commoner civie/ Confed. shoes from Mattimore. Both were extremely comfortable right of the box, and still are. Although usually any of them need to be worn in a bit, under marching conditions, to really contour to your foot.
                              Eric N. Harley-Brown
                              Currently known to associate with the WIG/AG

"It has never been fully realized, nor appreciated by the people of the North-the great part in preserving the Union, the brave, loyal,and patriotic Union men, in the mountainous parts of the Southern states, rendered" - Orderly Sgt. Silas P. Woodall (2nd grt. grnd...) member of "Kennemers Union Scouts & Guides"-organized in Woodville, Alabama 1863.

Comment

Working...
                              X