Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Original Shoulder Boards? Need Help!

Folks,
    I was given these shoulder boards by a friend of the family that said they belinged to her ancestor from the war. Naturally she had little or no information about him. Shown are a couple of pictures here, any leads you could give me would be most appreciated!
    Last edited by JerseySkilletLicker; 03-10-2009, 12:59 PM.
    Joseph Hofmann

Re: Original Shoulder Boards? Need Help!

Joe,

First off, thanks for the research project.

Given that the button appears to be a NY State Exelsior Button (someone more knowledgable about them needs to chime in if its of the Civil War or Post-Civil War design) and having the numbers 22 placed on them, my first thought is its from a NY Militia or National Guard Unit's pre or post war uniform.

I looked up the 22nd NY Infantry and 22nd NY National Guard in the NY State Military Museum Database...

http://www.dmna.state.ny.us/historic...2ndInfMain.htm

http://www.dmna.state.ny.us/historic...ndNYSMMain.htm

From the histories, the 22nd NY Inf was a two year regiment with no prior militia organization and the 22nd NY National Guard was called up for the Civil War and had a long history afterwards. I would surmise from my research a mile wide and an inch deep that these are probably shoulder boards from the post Civil War 22nd NY National Guard.
    Your Obedient Servant,

Peter M. Berezuk

Comment

Thanks Peter, I believe the soldier in question was a New Yorker. Maybe more will come to light.

Joe
      Joseph Hofmann

Comment

Most likely a wartime production button, but that's all I can glean from looking at the pictures.

The New York DMNA page lists some bibliographic references, including a Frederick Todd article and a regimental history. Consulting those could open some doors.
        Marc A. Hermann
        Liberty Rifles.
        MOLLUS, New York Commandery.
        Oliver Tilden Camp No 26, SUVCW.

In honor of Sgt. William H. Forrest, Co. K, 114th PA Vol. Infantry. Pvt. Emanuel Hermann, 45th PA Militia. Lt. George W. Hopkins & Capt. William K. Hopkins, Co. E, 7th PA Reserves. Pvt. Joseph A. Weckerly, 72nd PA Vol. Infantry (WIA June 29, 1862, d. March 23, 1866.) Pvt. Thomas Will, 21st PA Vol. Cavalry (WIA June 18, 1864, d. July 31, 1864.)

Comment

Working...
        X