Coming Back to the Hobby

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coming Back to the Hobby

Greetings everyone. It has been a while (since 2001), but I'm thinking of coming back to the hobby. As I've been out of the loop for quite some time, I was wondering if anyone could offer some good advice in terms of my federal impression. I've already reviewed all the approved vendors and they have some really great things for sale. I was thinking of going with these vendors for my equipage:

Wambaugh and White for my uniform items (cap, coat, issue shirt, trousers, etc.)
    Missouri Boot and Shoe for gear (cap box, cartridge box, etc.) and shoes

The musket, bayonet,tinware, haversack, and canteen should be easy enough to find. Would anyone recommend vendors other than these? Any possible input you could provide would be immensely helpful. I'm not asking anyone to do my research for me, but if I could be pointed in the right direction it would make the task a little easier. :)

Best Regards,
    Jim Deagon

Re: Coming Back to the Hobby

Duvall makes great leathers.
    Burt Page
    Salt River Rifles/75th OVI

Comment

PM Sent with some ideas
      Michael J. Godwin

Comment

I would highly recommend James River for a good weapon. I've been extremely happy with my Enfield that I recieved from them.
        Jeff Hodnett

Comment

As far as tin ware, Otter Creek does nice work. I have dealt with them before and have been happy with their service. Glad to see you're back in the hobby. Cheers!!
          Morgan B. Tittle

The Drunken Lullaby Mess

"... We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language ... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."
          Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Comment

There are a few of the approved vendors that also carry quality tin ware (sheepish plug).

Crabby
            Beth Crabb

IN LOVING MEMORY OF
            John Crabb July 10, 1953 - Nov. 25, 2009

Comment

Welcome back. Your making a good start by hanging out here.
              Frank Perkin

Comment

Comrade Deagon,
                Good to have you back again. I believe we were in the same company at Payne's Farm a few years back. Hope to see ya in the field.
                Bill Birney
                William Birney
                Columbia Rifles

"The OTB is made up of the dregs of humanity, the malcontents, the bit*#ers and moaners, the truth tellers, the rebellious, etc. In other words, the ones that make good soldiers when the firing starts or the marching gets tough. The $&#*$& is run by parade ground, paper collar soldiers, the ones that pee on themselves when a car backfires and would be better fit for counting beans and puffying up their own egos and kissing each others @$(#*$*..."
                Thomas "Uncle Tom" Yearby, 20 March 2009

Comment

Pard - When you get thirsty and reach for a drink, an Orchard Hill canteen will fill the bill.

Regards, and enjoy your return,
                  Pvt. Joe Lassus

Comment

Totally Ezra Barn house for tin, he has lovely goods, also S&S Sutler in Gettysburg; in addition as the previous post has stated, Orchard Hill has some very nice canteens (campaigner quality) along with Dells Leathers. Duvall for leathers is an awesome choice, also Dells leather works, can be very nice and you have already found MSB, which is excellent. As far as a rifle, you might want to check out John Zimmerman in Harpers Ferry hes very good, I have an Enfield from him and it is very nice, totally defarbed. Bard Keune also makes very nice caps, and if you are looking for a civilian hat or Hardee definitely go to Tim Bender. You have a very good start there, just shop around a little, and see who you like the most and who offers what you need for your impression to be the best it can be. Welcome back to the dark side.
                    Sean M. Lamb

[I]"Our Reg't is composed of Germans, Dutch-Americans, and Irish they being the majority and very hard set. Our company is composed of the same stock, we can not agree very well with the Irish."[/I]
                    James A. Peifer
                    Co. C 46th Penna. Vol. Inf.

Comment

Fellahs,
                      Thanks for all the input thus so far! It has been immensely helpful and I'm finding some really good deals and gear. Needless to say, I'm happy to call myself a "Union Man" again!!!

Best,
                      Jim Deagon

Comment

Working...
                      X