Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pvt John Johnston's Frock Coat

Hi

I've scoured the internet and this forum for ANY info on this article of clothing but have come up with little. Basically: does anybody have any info on John Johnston's frock: ie. the lining, material, workmanship, etc.? I'm thinking of having a friend sew it for me but in the 1000th time I analysed it in EoG I have come to a few meagre points:

-the buttons are not evenly spaced on the brest nor are they properly lined up
    -the collar is not even on both sides of the frock - seems the left side is lower than the right
    -there is a VERY fine line of stitching on BOTH sides of the front brest, running down the body, to the right of the buttonholes AND the buttons. At first I though it was for reinforcement (like the Tait jackets) but the stitch is so fine (as far as I can see) that perhaps it is for the lining inside the jacket - but (again as far as I can see) no other frock has this.
    -this line of stitching is also not straight but wiggles its way up the front

I'm thinking of adding these characteristics into my frock, as much as I like the picture perfect frocks of private purchase or by sutlers, this one has so much character!

So again: please any info or pics would be greatly appreciated. Usually I do my own research but its usually for a depot or clothing type rather than one piece in particular. Because I'm in Australia means that going to a museum is also (sadly) out of the question.

Thanks
    Paul Norris

PS This is my first thread start (or comment!) on this forum, I've been lurking around here for years though. Sorry in advance if I've done/said something wrong!
    [FONT="Georgia"][B][SIZE="3"]Paul Norris[/SIZE][/B][/FONT]
    [SIZE="2"][B][FONT="Georgia"]19th Alabama Infantry
    [url]http://www.19thal.50webs.com/[/url]
    [/FONT][/B][/SIZE]
    Backwaters 1865 - S.U.G., Company A

Re: Pvt John Johnston's Frock Coat

Hallo!

Not that it may help your project all that much, but you may find this of mild interest:

Curt
    Curt Schmidt
    In gleichem Schritt und Tritt, Curt Schmidt

-Hard and sharp as flint...secret, and self-contained, and solitary as an oyster.
    -Haplogroup R1b M343 (Subclade R1b1a2 M269)
    -Pointless Folksy Wisdom Mess, Oblio Lodge #1
    -Vastly Ignorant
    -Often incorrect, technically, historically, factually.

Comment

Re: Pvt John Johnston's Frock Coat

Thanks Curt, I've already seen this actually but it reminded me to add some more details:

-the right arm is pieced together with scraps (?) (apparently the maker was running out of material)
      -Johnson's initials were embroided into the inside of the coat, near his chest.
      [FONT="Georgia"][B][SIZE="3"]Paul Norris[/SIZE][/B][/FONT]
      [SIZE="2"][B][FONT="Georgia"]19th Alabama Infantry
      [url]http://www.19thal.50webs.com/[/url]
      [/FONT][/B][/SIZE]
      Backwaters 1865 - S.U.G., Company A

Comment

Working...
      X