Topstitching

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Topstitching

Folks, I have spent countless hours reading threads on here, looking at original jackets, looking at high quality reproductions (from Chris, Dan, The unmentionable one, Niekirk...) and topstitching just has me beat! I have been able to teach myself button holes, how to backstitch, how to flatfell a seam...but the topstitching, I just can't seem to grasp. In original jackets that I have access too, either the hand topstitching is so good that it looks like machine or it is in fact machine stitched. I am building a weller overcoat from a blank and I want to make sure I do it correctly. I'd hate to have to redo it although I'm willing to if need be. I've read threads on here where people try to describe how to do it but for some reason I have been unable to follow their instructions. Here is what I'm looking for....instructions and pictures, advice, and I will post pictures of my topstitching and someone please (nicely as I have spent hours) let me know if it is a nightmare or pretty good. Now, the reason i'm posting in authenticity is that my next project is a RD II. Would the topstitching on a civilian garmet be the same as from the depot? Also, is it more common to have a hand topstitched RD or machine? Yes, I've read the frequent cited source on confederate jackets and I believe Jenson states that most were machined. Any help would be great! I will post pictures of my stitching this evening.
    Luke Gilly
    Breckinridge Greys
    Lodge 661 F&AM

"May the grass grow long on the road to hell." --an Irish toast
Working...
X