Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Signs and Countersigns

Hey Comrades,
    I laughed out loud when I read this last night. It is from the diary of Michael Reid Hanger, Pvt. in the "Rockbridge Rifles" of the 5th Virginia Infantry;

Oct. 20th, Sunday (1861)

Windy to day. Our Company has orders to go on Picquet today, 10. o'clock. we are now on Picquet, in the Alexandria and Winchester Road Leesburg road &c. We hear heavy firing out to the right of us, The Countersign is = Inkerman, We have the same old signal. Halt any one, throw up the left arm, he whom you halt must then take off his hat or cap. and pass it down below his face. If he fails to do this "Fire". this is the day signal.) The night signal is the sentinel strikes his leg 2 or three times with his hand. The person whom he halts. has to cough 2 or 3 times or clear his throat, if he fails to do this. "Fire" at him. We were releived about 11. o'clock today. We came on to Centreville, we got here about 3 o'clock P.M. Joe Neff. Kahle. and H. Smith were here Bill Kahle gave us a treat this evening. Our forces are fortifying here in a hurry.

John Eric Suttorp
    John Suttorp

Re: Signs and Countersigns

Okay, but what's the signal for a curve ball?

That's hilarious.

Hank Trent
    hanktrent@voyager.net
    Hank Trent

Comment

Now if they had only clicked their heels 3 times and said "There's no place like home."...!
      Tom "Mingo" Machingo
      Independent Rifles, Weevil's Mess

Vixi Et Didici

"I think and highly hope that this war will end this year, and Oh then what a happy time we will have. No need of writing then but we can talk and talk again, and my boy can talk to me and I will never tire of listening to him and he will want to go with me everywhere I go, and I will be certain to let him go if there is any possible chance."
      Marion Hill Fitzpatrick
      Company K, 45th Georgia Infantry
      KIA Petersburg, Virginia

Comment

Hank,

It depends on which way you want the curve to go.

BTW, Shrimp was $4.00 a pound yesterday in Hammond.
        Last edited by Dale Beasley; 05-21-2008, 08:21 AM.

Comment

Pretty common actually - especially the night signals.
          Soli Deo Gloria
          Doug Cooper

"The past is never dead. It's not even past." William Faulkner

Please support the CWT at www.civilwar.org

Comment

Okay, seriously now, I was curious...

Both signals require the picket to take one hand off his gun, or at least that's how I'm picturing it being done. I guess it probably wasn't a major problem in real life because most people approaching the pickets were friendly, but in theory, shouldn't the picket be at the highest readiness just as someone's approaching, rather than balancing his gun in one hand while he taps his leg or raises his left arm?

Was it common for signals to require the picket to do something that decreased his ability to aim and fire in a hurry?

Hank Trent
            hanktrent@voyager.net
            Hank Trent

Comment

I thought the same thing about having one hand off the gun. However, I was always of the opinion that picketts on roads or crossings where encounters were expected usually numbered more than one. It would be too easy to pick off one pickett to enable a road or crossing to be used unobserved. Pickett lines spread out across terrain could probably get by with one at each post if not too far apart. Notice the account also uses the word "we".
              Jim Mayo
              Portsmouth Rifles, Company G, 9th Va. Inf.

CW Show and Tell Site
              http://www.angelfire.com/ma4/j_mayo/index.html

Comment

FLASH!

I know some guys who could have ALOT of fun with this kind of thing...
                James Duffney
                61st NY
                Brave Peacock Mess

Comment

Hmmm, if you were a bit hard of hearing or the wind was blowing hard away from you, you might not hear that hand slapping on the leg and could get quite a surprise.
                  Michael Comer
                  one of the moderator guys

Comment

I've done picket at night a few times with the signals being slaps on the knee. When walking up to a picket, especially in the woods, it seemed really hard for me to hear the slaps, yet somehow we got it to work. I see this as a way not to give up the position of the picket to the opposing line.
                    David Naples

"History is the story English majors try to write"- Anonymous Gettysburg College History major

Comment

Working...
                    X