Enfield cartridge boxes; cap pouch nipple picks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Enfield cartridge boxes; cap pouch nipple picks

I bought an Enfield-style cartridge box from Butternuts & Bluecoats Sutlers, to go with my original P1853 Enfield. Someting I am wondering is, are the Enfield cartridge boxes supposed to have an implement pouch on them like the U.S. boxes? My box does not, and I'm wondering how and where the average soldier would have carried a combination tool like the one I have (a Parker-Hale "Y" type tool).

For that matter, does anybody make a reasonably low-priced cap pouch that actually includes a nipple pick? Or, for that matter, how hard would it be to add one? I also bought a "shield front" cap pouch from B & B, and while it seems to be nicely made (I did, however, replace the fake fur with real lamb's wool), it doesn't have a provision for a pick.
    [FONT="Comic Sans MS"][COLOR="Blue"]Richard Knack[/COLOR][/FONT]

Re: Enfield cartridge boxes; cap pouch nipple picks

are the Enfield cartridge boxes supposed to have an implement pouch on them like the U.S. boxes?
    Not the enlistedman's, I believe that is the Sgt's version.

does anybody make a reasonably low-priced cap pouch that actually includes a nipple pick?
    Myself, Tim Welch, Nick Duvall, Don Smith, etc. These may not be what you consider 'low-priced' but will be correct and of the highest quality (and come with a nipple pick loop).

how hard would it be to add one?
    To do it correctly you will need to:
    -cut the pouch off
    -fold a thin piece of leather in half (approx. 1" x 1", or whatever scrap you have laying around that will accommodate a nipple pick)
    -position the pouch on to the body placing the folded leather in between both parts, making sure enough is exposed inside the pouch for the nipple pick to sit in
    -sew the pouch and body together again
    -trim the excess leather sticking out the side (you probably want to dye and finish that edge too).
    Bill Lomas

[B][SIZE="4"][FONT="Century Gothic"][COLOR="SeaGreen"]E. J. Thomas Mercantile[/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE][/B]
    [FONT="Century Gothic"]P.O. Box 332
    Hatboro, PA 19040
    [URL="http://www.ejtmercantile.com"]www.ejtmercantile.com[/URL]
    [email]info@ejtmercantile.com[/email][/FONT]

Comment

Don't suppose you can supply a photo of this arrangement, could you? I DO do leatherwork as a hobby, so it shouldn't be too difficult, but I want it to be correct.

Did the shield front pouches (with the closing tab as a separate piece of leather attatched to the flap) even have provision for a pick in the first place?

Comment

Yes all Allegheny Arsenal produced cap pouches came with a loop for a cone pick.

Wes

Comment

Like I said earlier, can anybody please post some photos so I can see how it's put together? As soon as I can get my leatherworking stuff back from my soon-to-be-ex, I can start doing that sort of thing again (I've already got some guys from work wanting hunting rifle slings...)

Comment

Working...
          X