How do you correctly sew chevrons?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do you correctly sew chevrons?

*User Clause: The search engine was used for this topic, but nothing related to sewing chevrons on*

I have a set of infantry 1st Sgt. chevrons, but how were chevrons correctly sewed on? Were they whip-stitched? slip-stitched?, stay-stitched? back-stitched? felling-stitch? A running stitch wouldn't make sense, as the fabric would stretch by constant duties in camp and in the field, causing the threads to come loose. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Nick Miller
    Mudslinger Mess
    Acorn Boys

"All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent."-Thomas Jefferson
    [B][SIZE="3"]N.E. Miller[/SIZE][/B]

[SIZE="2"][B][CENTER][I]"Live as brave men; and if fortune is adverse, front its blows with brave hearts"
    -Marcus Tullius Cicero[/I][/CENTER][/B][/SIZE]

Re: How do you correctly sew chevrons?

I'd whip stitch them on. As long as the backing is good, they should stay the duration of your NCO promotion.

I would also try to keep the pointed end at about the bend in your elbow. Have someone help you pin them on and I found that if you roll up a paper or magazine and slip it in the sleeve, it'll keep you from sewing the arms closed.

Hope this helps...
    Guy W. Gane III
    Casting Director/Owner
    Old Timey Casting, LLC.

Member of:
    49th NYVI Co. B
    The Filthy Mess

Historian since 1982 - Reenactor since birth - Proud Member of the 'A.C.' since September 2004.sigpic

Comment

Re: How do you correctly sew chevrons?

Guy,

Thanks for the advice, I'm much obliged. I have the placement correct, but I never tried the rolled newspaper trick. I wasn't sure if there was a common or practical method. Thanks again!

Nick Miller
      33rd O.V.I., Co. F
      Mudslinger Mess
      Acorn Boys

"As our enemies have found we can reason like men, so now let us show them we can fight like men also."-Thomas Jefferson
      [B][SIZE="3"]N.E. Miller[/SIZE][/B]

[SIZE="2"][B][CENTER][I]"Live as brave men; and if fortune is adverse, front its blows with brave hearts"
      -Marcus Tullius Cicero[/I][/CENTER][/B][/SIZE]

Comment

Working...
      X