Christian / Sanitary Commission Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Christian / Sanitary Commission Question

Can anyone provide examples of stencils or stamps used in marking United States Christian and/or Sanitary Commission goods....

Does anyone know of a reproduciton of any?
    Ryan B.Weddle

7th New York State Militia

"Beware of all enterprises that require new clothes" - Henry David Thoreau

"The willingness with which our young people are likely to serve in any war, no matter how justified, shall be directly proportional as to how they perceive the Veterans of earlier wars were treated and appreciated by their country."
    – George Washington , 1789

Re: Christian / Sanitary Commission Question

Originally posted by RyanBWeddle
    Can anyone provide examples of stencils or stamps used in marking United States Christian and/or Sanitary Commission goods....

Ryan, I have a envelope, and writing paper from them. I can bring it to PLO.

Check out this site http://www.netwalk.com/~jpr/
    Aka
    Wm Green :D
    Illegitimi non carborundum
    (Don’t let the bastards grind you down!)

Dreaming of the following and other events

Picket Post
    Perryville

The like to do a winter camp.....hint hint...

Comment

Ryan,

If you can manage a wagon in your Sanitary Commission impression, here's the markings for the cover:

And here's a Christian Commission box (look at that stuffed haversack, too!):

Jason R. Wickersty
      http://www.newblazingstarpress.com

Received. “How now about the fifth and sixth guns?”
      Sent. “The sixth gun is the bully boy.”
      Received. “Can you give it any directions to make it more bully?”
      Sent. “Last shot was little to the right.”
      Received. “Fearfully hot here. Several men sunstruck. Bullets whiz like fun. Have ceased firing for awhile, the guns are so hot."

- O.R.s, Series 1, Volume 26, Part 1, pg 86.

Comment

Check out that shipping label glued to the box- "Adams Express Co. Springfield ??" Does that look like an abbreviation for New Hampshire?

These extreme close ups are the coolest thing ever! Jason, whatever you do, don't become a luddite!

Regards,

Dan Brennan

Comment

Greetings,

Nice closeup--I own some original Adams Express stuff similar to the label shown on the box. The peculiar "slanting" script used for the box address is very similar to that seen on boxes recovered from the Steamboat Bertrand (sank 1865), and might be attributed to the type of brush(es) used to apply the ink or paint.

We can only wonder what was in the haversack--but it seems to have been used, in this case, to carry a non-food item. The pattern of the haversack looks identical to a style I use.

Regards,

Mark D. Jaeger
          Regards,

Mark Jaeger

Comment

Those are nice and helpful. I was looking more for something which might have been stenciled/stamped on a pillow or bedsack.....

I friend of mine picked up a Adams Express Messenger's badge from the era not too long ago, Id'd to a George Wilson. Neat! I have an image at home I might post.

Also Adams Express is still around today, they are a securities firm today, I believe they are listed on the NYSE as ADX.
            Ryan B.Weddle

"The willingness with which our young people are likely to serve in any war, no matter how justified, shall be directly proportional as to how they perceive the Veterans of earlier wars were treated and appreciated by their country."

Comment

Make sure you have someone who resembles this fellow:

(P.S. refer to the thread in the sinks titles "I hate this guy...) :D
              Attached Files
              Tom Smith, 2nd Lt. T.E.
              Nobel Grand Humbug, Al XXI,
              Chapt. 1.5 De la Guerra y Pacheco
              Ancient and Honorable Order of E Clampus Vitus
              Topographer for: TAG '03, BGR, Spring Hill, Marmeduke's Raid, & ITPW

Comment

Originally posted by tomarch
                Make sure you have someone who resembles this fellow:

(P.S. refer to the thread in the sinks titles "I hate this guy...) :D
                Tom,

The freaky (or infuriating, in my case) thing is that he is in that picture with the Christian Commission box.

ARRRRGGG!!
                Jason R. Wickersty
                http://www.newblazingstarpress.com

Received. “How now about the fifth and sixth guns?”
                Sent. “The sixth gun is the bully boy.”
                Received. “Can you give it any directions to make it more bully?”
                Sent. “Last shot was little to the right.”
                Received. “Fearfully hot here. Several men sunstruck. Bullets whiz like fun. Have ceased firing for awhile, the guns are so hot."

- O.R.s, Series 1, Volume 26, Part 1, pg 86.

Comment

I have a cook book that has a picture of a USSC small billy cup that was given to soldiers and it is stamped with U.S. Sanitary Comm, but I am unsure of the font type.

I'll see if I can scan the picture this evening when I get home.

s/f
                  Dan McLean

Cpl

Failed Battery Mess

Bty F, 1st PA Lt Arty
                  (AKA LtCol USMC)

[URL]http://www.batteryf.cjb.net[/URL]

Comment

Yes there is an example of the cup in US EoG. I have a repro of it actually.

What I am trying to find is info on pillows or bedsacks that either organization made,etc. Especially any possibly "Commission" markings
                    Ryan B.Weddle

Comment

I'm not 100% on this one, but look in the book "Quilts from the Civil War." Go to pages 52, 54, and 128, each one has a referance to a U.S.S.C. logo, but none are from a period item. It's worth checking out for ideas, only ones I could find to have a stamp for my quilt. If you don't have it, shoot me an email and I can scan them for you on Monday. Best,
                      Mark Krausz
                      William L. Campbell
                      Prodigal Sons Mess of Co. B 36th IL Inf.
                      Old Northwest Volunteers
                      Agents Campbell and Pelican's Military Goods

Comment

"a pillow or bedsack....."

Ryan

Do you have any documentation you could share on these? We do alot of garison stuff out here in the Far West.
                        Robert Johnson

"Them fellers out thar you ar goin up against, ain't none of the blue-bellied, white-livered Yanks and sassidge-eatin'forrin' hirelin's you have in Virginny that run atthe snap of a cap - they're Western fellers, an' they'll mighty quick give you a bellyful o' fightin."

In memory of: William Garry Co.H 5th USCC KIA 10/2/64 Saltville VA.

Comment

Directions and Dimensions of USSC bedding

Dear Bob:

Here's what you want, direct from the US Sanitary Commission Bulletin, Volumne I, Number 31, 2-1-65, p. 962. The Bulletin, for those of you who are unfamiliar was a monthly (?), quarterly (?), publication sent by the Sanitary Commission to their chapters acropss the US, and shared poems, stories, information about how their donations had been distributed at various hospitals or after a particular battle, and also instructions and specifications for making the various items the Sanitary Commission needed.
                          These are the directions, and they are telling the reader both how much fabric they will need, and also how much thread for each item. Some chapters had more wealthy women who would purchase the supplies for more skilled but less well-off women to take home and make up the item. Knowing how much material and thread to buy, they could ensure that each sewer got the supplies she needed at the outset of the project.

Bedsack of burlap or ticking, 2 yards and 12 inches long; 40 inches wide. Sew all around. Cut opening in middle 27 inches long; close with three [3] buttons; put a stay at each end of opening and one under each button. Required, 3 knots linen thread.

Pillow Sacks of ticking or crash: 16 inches wide, 30 inches long. Leave openings in middle of one end. Close with two buttons.

Sheets. Linen and cotton 8 feet long, 4 feet wide. Required, one-half skein of cotton or one-twelfth part of a hank.

Pillow Cases of cotton or linen 1/2 yard wide. 1 yard long.

Quilts: 7 feet long, 50 inches wide.

Hope that's helpful,
                          Karin Timour
                          Atlantic Guard Soldiers' Aid Society
                          Email: Ktimour@aol.com

Comment

Re: Directions and Dimensions of USSC bedding

Karin - Thanks for posting that - it helps greatly!

Bob - search the 1861 Regs, Scotts Military Dictionary, The ORs and many many reference to bedsacks will come up. In the regs it calls for bedsacks to be issued to garrison troops.

In the ORs the QM Dept shows 1000s of bedsacks in their stores . . .

Besides donation items (USSC & USCC) there is no firm documentation on army "regulations" for these issue items.
                            Ryan B.Weddle

Comment

Re: Directions and Dimensions of USSC bedding

Karin - Thanks for posting that - it helps greatly!

Bob - search the 1861 Regs, Scotts Military Dictionary, The ORs and many many reference to bedsacks will come up. In the regs it calls for bedsacks to be issued to garrison troops.

In the ORs the QM Dept shows 1000s of bedsacks in their stores . . .

Besides donation items (USSC & USCC) there is no firm documentation on army "regulations" for these issue items.

Thanks Ryan,

Im looking for any info on surviving originals, or dimentions, materials ect? I imagine there are no surviving originals, but you never know.

The life of the California volunteer was either hanging around in a garrison, such as FT Point, or wandering through the desert in Utah or Arizona. :D
                              Robert Johnson

"Them fellers out thar you ar goin up against, ain't none of the blue-bellied, white-livered Yanks and sassidge-eatin'forrin' hirelin's you have in Virginny that run atthe snap of a cap - they're Western fellers, an' they'll mighty quick give you a bellyful o' fightin."

In memory of: William Garry Co.H 5th USCC KIA 10/2/64 Saltville VA.

Comment

Working...
                              X