Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Christian / Sanitary Commission Question

Ryan,
    I have a stamp that I had reproduced from an original that was on a Sanitary Commission quilt. I know Mike Anderson also has one (as he and I are the only ones I know of reprodicing SC quilts).

Contact me off list and I'll see what I can do to help you.

Comment

From an earlier post of mine, I thought I would add the photo now:

I friend of mine picked up a Adams Express Messenger's badge from the era not too long ago, Id'd to a messenger George Wilson. Neat! I have an image at home I might post.
      Attached Files
      Ryan B.Weddle

7th New York State Militia

"Beware of all enterprises that require new clothes" - Henry David Thoreau

"The willingness with which our young people are likely to serve in any war, no matter how justified, shall be directly proportional as to how they perceive the Veterans of earlier wars were treated and appreciated by their country."
      – George Washington , 1789

Comment

Hi Ryan,

On a somewhat related note, here is an image of a Christian Commission delegate wearing a somewhat similar USCC badge. The gallery stamp on the back of the image suggests it has Eastern Theater provenance.

Regards,

Mark Jaeger
        Last edited by markj; 06-04-2007, 03:11 PM.
        Regards,

Mark Jaeger

Comment

Weddle,

Try to contact Ms Juanita Leisch (author of "Who wore what? Women's Wear 1861-1865") I saw a pillow case shortly after she purchased it at the Nashville CW Show about four years ago and I believe I remember it being stamped "USSC" or "Sanitary Commission" or something of that nature. (Mrs. Carrie now adds that she remembers it reading "US Sanitary Commission") I remember the pillow case being relatively small, made of white linen or cotton, and the stamp quite small, plain and unremarkable.

The pillow case I saw, BTW, looks nothing like that described by Mrs. Timor. I assume there may be variations in the standard pattern - similar to variation in standard uniform patterns.

Sorry pard, I don't even have Ms. Leisch's address. Maybe someone on this form will know how to get in contact with her.

Hope this helps point you in the right direction.

Patrick Craddock
          Last edited by Bushrod Carter; 02-16-2004, 08:43 AM.
          PATRICK CRADDOCK
          Prometheus No. 851
          Franklin, Tennessee
          Widows' Sons Mess
          www.craftsmansapron.com

Aut Bibat Aut Abeat

Can't fix stupid... Johnny Lloyd

Comment

For those interested in a bedsheet for a hospital impression. I wish I could win the lotto.

search for hospital bedsheet close to about 1/4th of the bottom of the page.

Sheet is made of white linen and meas. approx. 7 feet 8.50 in. long x 4 feet 3.0 in. wide. Stamped on sheet is US Hospital mark that reads "HOSP, DEPT, U.S.A." This mark is in an oval that meas. approx. 3.0 in. wide x 2.25 in. high. The "U.S.A." is at center of oval with "HOSP" above it and "DEPT." below it. Marking is a little blurred but easy to read. Linen is in near mint condition.
            Mark Krausz
            William L. Campbell
            Prodigal Sons Mess of Co. B 36th IL Inf.
            Old Northwest Volunteers
            Agents Campbell and Pelican's Military Goods

Comment

Hi all,

Was using the search function looking for info on pillow ticking and I saw a term that I haven't seen before and isn't in Chris Daley's FAQ of fabric, also on this site.

In Ms. Timor's posting above quoting the Sanitary Commission Bulletin the material for the pillow cases calls for pillow ticking or "crash."

What is "crash?"

Thanks,

Will
              Will Eichler

Member, Company of Military Historians
              Saginaw City Light Infantry
              Hubbard Winsor Lodge #420
              Stony Creek Lodge #5

Civil War Digital Digest
              http://civilwardigitaldigest.com/

Historic Fort Wayne Coalition
              www.historicfortwaynecoalition.com

Comment

Will,

Probably derived from the Russian krashenina Webster defines crash as "a coarse fabric used for draperies, toweling, and clothing and for strengthening joints of cased-in books "

Britanica has this to say:

"Any of several rugged fabrics made from yarns that are irregular, firm, strong, and smooth but sometimes raw and unprocessed. Included are gray, bleached, boiled, plain, twill, and fancy-weave crash. The coarsest type is called Russian crash. Linen is generally used for the warp yarn, while linen, jute, or a mixture of linen and jute is used for the filler. Plain weave is normally employed, but twill is sometimes used.

Crash may or may not be made with novel or fancy borders, and it is sold in white or natural shades or in dyed colours. It is used for toweling, draperies and other decorative cloths, dresses, caps, summer suits, and sport coats."

"crash." Encyclopædia Britannica. 2007. Encyclopædia Britannica Online. 18 Jan. 2007 http://www.britannica.com/eb/article-9026770 .
                [FONT=Book Antiqua]Justin Runyon[/FONT][FONT=Book Antiqua]; Pumpkin Patch Mess: [/FONT][FONT=Book Antiqua]WIG-GHTI[/FONT]
                [FONT=Book Antiqua]Organization of American Historians[/FONT]
                [FONT=Book Antiqua]Company of Military Historians[/FONT]
                [FONT=Book Antiqua]CWPT, W.M., Terre Haute #19[/FONT][FONT=Book Antiqua] F&AM[/FONT]
                [FONT=Book Antiqua]Terre Haute Chapter 11 RAM[/FONT]

Comment

This Sanitary Commission stencil sold on Ebay a few months back. I did not get a chance to purchase it myself or to ask the seller for dimensions. I hope the image turns out.

Attachment: US Sanitary Commission.jpg

Paul B. Boulden Jr.

RAH VA MIL '04
                  23rd VA. Vol. Regt.
                  Attached Files
                  Paul B. Boulden Jr.

RAH VA MIL '04
                  (Loblolly Mess)
                  [URL="http://23rdva.netfirms.com/welcome.htm"]23rd VA Vol. Regt.[/URL]
                  [URL="http://www.virginiaregiment.org/The_Virginia_Regiment/Home.html"]Waggoner's Company of the Virginia Regiment [/URL]

[URL="http://www.military-historians.org/"]Company of Military Historians[/URL]
                  [URL="http://www.moc.org/site/PageServer"]Museum of the Confederacy[/URL]
                  [URL="http://www.historicsandusky.org/index.html"]Historic Sandusky [/URL]

Inscription Capt. Archibold Willet headstone:

"A span is all that we can boast, An inch or two of time, Man is but vanity and dust, In all his flower and prime."

Comment

Many of the images originally posted on this thread are no longer here. Can anyone provide an example of a USSC stamp used on clothing or goods made for soldiers?
                    Edward Watson
                    Co. C, 33rd NCT

A Rowdy Pard

"Do your duty in all things.
                    You can never do more,
                    You should never wish to do less."
                    -Robert E. Lee

Comment

Working...
                    X