Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Civil War pocket watches

Originally posted by Union Navy View Post
    Silver was common, and hair, ribbon, even leather were occasionally used. Most would have no fobs, charms of other gewgaws to come loose and get lost. These were practical fellows.
    I found (and won) what appears to be a suitable chain on Ebay. The only thing I can see is there's no place to hang a winding key. Did all chains of the Civil War era have a place to hang a key? Where would a person put their key to keep it from getting lost, if not on their watch chain?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...EOIBSA:US:1123
    [FONT="Comic Sans MS"][COLOR="Blue"]Richard Knack[/COLOR][/FONT]

Comment

Got my key-wind watch in yesterday's mail. If nothing else, it will be an interesting addition to my collection. Only thing is, it appears to be approximately a size 6, which would put it in a "ladies' size" category, although the case is rather plain. Would a soldier have carried a watch that small under any circumstances? Or would that have been simply "unmanly" to carry a tiny watch?

Comment

I think most gentlemen would have carried a size 16 or 18.

[FONT=Times New Roman]Yours most respectfully, your obedient servant,[/FONT]
        [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
        [FONT=Times New Roman]R. L. ("Rob") Griffiths.[/FONT]
        [FONT=Times New Roman][I]Member, Civil War Preservation Trust.[/I][/FONT]
        [FONT=Times New Roman][I]Authentic Campaigner member since November 10th, 2004.[/I][/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman][I]"I am not aware of ever having used a profane expletive in my life, but I would have the charity to excuse those who may have done so, if they were in charge of a train of Mexican pack mules at the time."[/I] - U. S. Grant[I].[/I][/FONT]

Comment

Originally posted by Rob View Post
          I bought an 1883 Elgin on eBay. It keeps time to about five seconds per day. Not too shabby for only a 7-jewel movement. (Just lucky, I guess.) ;)

By the way, Ashland has an eBay store - they have some awesome pocket watches for sale. So don't count out eBay entirely. You just have to watch your step very carefully. If it sounds too good to be true, then it probably is.
          I just found a running Elgin on Ebay of the same vintage as yours, with a coin silver case, for a decent price. Wonder if it's the same model? Also found a "low silver content" chain with a "shepherd's crook" and a screw-type fastener loop for the watch. I'm guessing it's the right vintage; I just don't know where I'd hang a key on it. There's no provision for one on the chain.

ELGIN Vintage Key wound pocket watch. Circa 1882. Serial number 1179222. This case and dial are in great condition. I cannot see any hairlines in the dial but there are a few chips and small fractures on the edges. I think it is an excellent speciman.

The inside case back reads; Dueber Coin 75472 ~ Size 18 ~ Key Wound (key included) ~ ? Jewels ~ Patent Pinion ~ It measures approximately 83mm X 56mm. 83 mm from top of bow to bottom and approximately 56 mm wide. This watch works and is an excellent to addition to any collection.

Comment

Here's the skinny on the Elgin:

Perhaps you could find a small (about 2") length of chain for your key. Attach it to the ring which holds the hook on. Perhaps a jeweler can dig up a small length of chain to match what you have. Or find a swivel key (with the correct number) with its own ring, somewhat like the following, and attach it directly to or just below the hook.
            Attached Files
            [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
            [FONT=Times New Roman][I]Authentic Campaigner member since November 10th, 2004.[/I][/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman][I]"I am not aware of ever having used a profane expletive in my life, but I would have the charity to excuse those who may have done so, if they were in charge of a train of Mexican pack mules at the time."[/I] - U. S. Grant[I].[/I][/FONT]

Comment

Here's the skinny on the Elgin:

Perhaps you could find a small (about 2") length of chain for your key. Attach it to the ring which holds the hook on. Perhaps a jeweler can dig up a small length of chain to match what you have. Or find a swivel key (with the correct number) with its own ring, somewhat like the following, and attach it directly to or just below the hook.

Thanks! While not CW vintage, or even a model available during that time, at least it will "look right", and the price (under $150) was all I could afford. Since I normally carry a pocket watch anyway, I can justify the expense (my normal everyday "carry" watch is a 1920's Swiss "Phenix" 15j). All the WBTS vintage watches I could find in running condition were way out of my price range, unfortunately (champagne taste, water budget and all that).

Comment

Originally posted by Dutchman Dick View Post
                Thanks! While not CW vintage, or even a model available during that time, at least it will "look right", and the price (under $150) was all I could afford...
                That's the same reason I got mine.

I'll get a really nice Waltham one of these days, even if I have to sell my Enfield to get it. The watch would get more use than the Enfield does, anyway.
                [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

Just out of curiosity, is the "shepherd's crook" an older style of fastener for a watch chain? I never heard of one, until I saw this website. My reprint of the fall/winter 1894-95 Montgomery Wards catalogue only shows t-bars for vest chains, so I'd guess the "crook" was out of style by then; ditto the screw-type loop to fasten the watch on the end of the chain.

Comment

Heres a pretty nice watch carried by Thomas A. Wynne of the 4th Texas, Hood's Texas Brigade. I'm not sure of what kind of chain this nice little timepiece would been carried on, but suspect it was probably gold too. This watch was on display at the Texas Civil War Museum in Ft. Worth. If your ever in the Dallas area I'd suggest to everyone on this forum interested in "stuff" used in the "Wah" to give it a visit.
                    Attached Files
                    Christopher E. McBroom, Capt.
                    16th Ark. Infantry - 1st Arkansas Battalion, C.S.A.

Little Rock Castle No. 1
                    Order of Knights of the Golden Circle

Comment

Found on eBay:

1862-63 vintage Waltham (Ellery). Price $200 and rising.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

Found on eBay:

1862-63 vintage Waltham (Ellery). Price $200 and rising.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MEWA:IT&ih=005
                        It's the "and rising" that's the problem. The bidding doesn't end for a couple of days. By that time, I can almost guarantee that price will have doubled, or nearly so. I have yet to find an actual WBTS-vintage watch at a price I can afford.

I got the silver-cased Elgin today, and it is a really nice watch, and the price wasn't bad at all (under $150, including shipping). I'm on a shoestring budget, so I have to get what I can afford after all the bills are paid.

Comment

The Wynne watch in the Texas museum is a nice looking watch, but it wasn't carried during the war. It is a Waltham made in the 1890s.
                          [I]Melvin Scott Faris[/I]

Comment

I have seen a few references of watch chains made of hair being for mourning purposes. I was wondering if anyone has heard of another instance in which hair chains were prepared for husbands as a memento to remember their wives by.

I have been looking for a watch chain for my 1848 pocket watch and most of the options seem to be hair. Does anyone know of any other places where I may be able to track down a good deal on a PC watch chain?
                            [FONT="Book Antiqua"]Respectfully,
                            Joseph S. Danner

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
                            [COLOR="Red"]The Pine River Boys - 7th Wisconsin, Company I[/COLOR][/FONT]

Comment

Try here:

Almost any silver shepherd's crook or T-bar chain will do nicely. Gold will work, too, but to be completely accurate it will have to be 10K to 18K solid gold, as gold-filled was not in common use, having been invented just before the war. Gold-filled will still work well if necessary. I get all mine on eBay - Caveat emptor. I have also been known to hunt up crooks, T-bars and "lobster claws" (for attaching the watch), then getting necklace chains of appropriate patterns and making my own, as those chains are easier to get.
                              [COLOR=Blue][SIZE=4][FONT=Verdana]Bob Dispenza[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]
                              [COLOR=Navy]US Naval Landing Party ([url]www.usnlp.org)[/url][/COLOR]
                              [COLOR=SeaGreen]Navy and Marine Living History Association ([url]www.navyandmarine.org)[/url][/COLOR]

"The publick give credit for feat of arms, but the courage which is required for them, cannot compare with that which is needed to bear patiently, not only the thousand annoyances but the total absence of everything that makes life pleasant and even worth living." - Lt. Percival Drayton, on naval blockade duty.

"We have drawn the Spencer Repeating Rifle. It is a 7 shooter, & a beautiful little gun. They are charged to us at $30.00. 15 of which we have to pay."
                              William Clark Allen, Company K, 72nd Indiana Volunteers, May 17, 1863

Comment

Originally posted by Union Navy View Post
                                Try here:

Almost any silver shepherd's crook or T-bar chain will do nicely. Gold will work, too, but to be completely accurate it will have to be 10K to 18K solid gold, as gold-filled was not in common use, having been invented just before the war. Gold-filled will still work well if necessary. I get all mine on eBay - Caveat emptor. I have also been known to hunt up crooks, T-bars and "lobster claws" (for attaching the watch), then getting necklace chains of appropriate patterns and making my own, as those chains are easier to get.
                                Great! Thanks for the link and your help! I will take a look.
                                [FONT="Book Antiqua"]Respectfully,
                                Joseph S. Danner

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
                                [COLOR="Red"]The Pine River Boys - 7th Wisconsin, Company I[/COLOR][/FONT]

Comment

Working...
                                X