"Split" canteen slings???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: "Split" canteen slings???

John: I believe the canteen in Fig 5 may be of confederate manufacture. Notice how the seams are fitted, the odd size sling keepers and the long spout. Doesn't seem to fit any US ones I have seen.
    Jim Mayo
    Portsmouth Rifles, Company G, 9th Va. Inf.

CW Show and Tell Site
    http://www.angelfire.com/ma4/j_mayo/index.html

Comment

Mr. Stillwagon,

It was your article in fact that lead me to purchase a smoothside canteen and after reading it, found that a split canteen sling might be something to get IF and I say, IF it were common. The canteen didn't come with a sling, hence this research topic.

Thanks a bunch,
      Jim Ross
      James Ross

Comment

Folks,
        I visited the Chancellorsville Visitor Center today and examined the collection of canteens there. There is a Federal canteen, which is id'd to a Federal soldier (I don't remember the name or unit), which appears to have been modified by the owner. It has a leather US canteen strap that was cut, or sliced, with a knife to become a "split strap" style. So, it appears that at least a few Federal soldiers modified their straps in this fashion.
        The staff there is very friendly and is more than happy to allow folks to examine the artifacts there. All you need to do is call and make an appointment.
        In addition to a decent number of US and CS canteens, they have a great example of a Pittman stamped US 1839 Pattern Cartridge Box, a CS Cartridge Box for 58 cal. ammunition with a brass finial, a CS Full Front Cap Pouch with lead or iron button, a variety of holsters, scabbards and at least 5 US Doublebag Knapsacks.
        Cheers,
        Larry McIrvin

Comment

Working...
        X