Period Tattoos

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Period Tattoos

I am looking for some information on period tattoos, I remember Living Historian did a story on period tattoos some time back. I am looking for advice, books, pics, research, direction on tattoos from the period.
    thanks
    Kaelin Vernon
    Kaelin R. Vernon
    SOUTH UNION GUARD

"Do small things with great love" -Mother Teresa

" Put your hands to work and your hearts to God" -Mother Ann Lee

Re: Period Tattoos

Have you looked at these links first?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Aaron Schwieterman
    Cincinnati

Comment

Originally posted by kaelin View Post
      I am looking for some information on period tattoos, I remember Living Historian did a story on period tattoos some time back. I am looking for advice, books, pics, research, direction on tattoos from the period.
      thanks
      Kaelin Vernon
      Are you actually referring to "Civil War Historian?" I published two articles about 19th Century tatouage in CWH, so, if you don't have access to those issues, contact me privately and I'll send everything you'd ever want and more.

Yours, &c.,

Mark Jaeger
      markj@purdue.edu
      Regards,

Mark Jaeger

Comment

Mark's articles are top notch and will probably have everything you will need.
        [SIZE="4"][FONT="Impact"]Jason Thibodeaux[/FONT][/SIZE]
        Independent Rifles
        Swamp Angels
        Pelican Civil War Lodge #1861

Comment

Two of my favorite subjects, tattooing and the civil war combined!

Two electric tattoo machine were invented in 1891. The design that is still used, basically unchanged, was inspired by an Edison engraving machine.

One place worth checking out is The Tattoo Archive of Berkeley Ca, formally owned by C.W. Eldridge. He is a renowned tattooist and folklore expert on tattooing in general, and classic Americana tattooing in particular.

Dave Schwartz
          Dave Schwartz,
          Company B, 79th NY Vols.
          (New York Highland Guard)

Comment

Some good news and "not-so-good" news:

1. The History Channel will be airing "Ancient Ink" on July 14th, which examines historical tattooing practices. I'm happy to say that I contributed a considerable amount of material to the producers regarding 19th Century tattooing practices.

2. The not-so-good news is that I've since been informed by my contact at Indigo Films that most, if not all, of the segment dealing with Civil War tattooing has been cut due to time constraints. This is a damn shame, because, alas, the fascinating story of how 36th Indiana Sergeant Major Orlistes W. Powell's body was ID'd by a tattoo after exhumation at Chickamauga will not be told. Captain Tom Custer's identification at the Little Big Horn will also apparently not be mentioned.

Oh well, I think the program will still be very interesting--just not as interesting as it could have been. Here's the program link:

The HISTORY Channel - Geschichte erleben! The HISTORY Channel ist der deutschsprachige Pay-TV-Sender für spannende Dokumentationen und macht die Faszination von Menschen und Ereignissen täglich greifbar!

Yours, &c.,

Mark Jaeger
            Regards,

Mark Jaeger

Comment

I hear that it was very common in those days to get your name tatooed on your upper arm for identification. My G-G Grandfather mentioned in his diary that he was able to prove that he was indeed the holder of a cross country RR ticket that had been awarded him by showing his tattoo to the ticket agent. He was BTW a vet of the 142nd OVI.
              Frank Perkin

Comment

Working...
              X