Civilian rifle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Civilian rifle

I'm trying to create an early war impression based upon my great, great grandfather, who was with the 26th North Carolina. Early in the war, NC troops, and particularly the 26th, were furnished converted muskets, many of which were taken from the Fayetteville arsenal. Many of the NC soldiers did not particularly like these weapons. From letters, it appears that my ancestor had his rifle sent from home. It is probable that he used his own rifle until his regiment was furnished with rifled muskets. Does anyone have any idea what type of rifle that might have been?

(I have already purchased an Enfield for later in the war. I'm not asking what is the best overall weapon to purchase. I'm only concerned with an impression for a very specific and limited time period.)
    Carlton Mansfield
    26th North Carolina Troops

Re: Civilian rifle

Hallo!

For starters, the SEARCH feature pulled up a previous discussion:

Curt
    Curt Schmidt
    In gleichem Schritt und Tritt, Curt Schmidt

-Hard and sharp as flint...secret, and self-contained, and solitary as an oyster.
    -Haplogroup R1b M343 (Subclade R1b1a2 M269)
    -Pointless Folksy Wisdom Mess, Oblio Lodge #1
    -Vastly Ignorant
    -Often incorrect, technically, historically, factually.

Comment

This previous discussion was very informative about where to get certain guns for impressions other than the one I'm interested in. Thank you, though, Curt, for your assistance.

Can anyone tell me what type of rifle might have been owned by a farmer in the Piedmont region of North Carolina in 1861? Would it most likely have been a gun of local manufacture?

I did order the book, Longarms of North Carolina, referenced by Mr. Beall in the other thread.
      Carlton Mansfield

Comment

Hmmnn...well if I were guessing, I'd say small to mid-caliber flintlock rifle.

If you have your ancestors letter...would you be willing to post it or the transcription here on the site? This is a valuable piece of evidence, that could be very beneficial to many on this site.

Note: have no documentation to back this up.

Paul B.
        Paul B. Boulden Jr.

RAH VA MIL '04
        (Loblolly Mess)
        [URL="http://23rdva.netfirms.com/welcome.htm"]23rd VA Vol. Regt.[/URL]
        [URL="http://www.virginiaregiment.org/The_Virginia_Regiment/Home.html"]Waggoner's Company of the Virginia Regiment [/URL]

[URL="http://www.military-historians.org/"]Company of Military Historians[/URL]
        [URL="http://www.moc.org/site/PageServer"]Museum of the Confederacy[/URL]
        [URL="http://www.historicsandusky.org/index.html"]Historic Sandusky [/URL]

Inscription Capt. Archibold Willet headstone:

"A span is all that we can boast, An inch or two of time, Man is but vanity and dust, In all his flower and prime."

Comment

Likely one from one of many makers centered around Jamestown, NC and known as the Jamestown rifle. Makers such as Mendenhall, Jones, Gardner, Clapp, Gates, Couch and others turned out beautiful longarms in the pre-Civil war period and during the war also. If you want to see some marvelous examples visit the excellent Greensboro, NC History museum. More than a dozen of the gun shops were located within a few miles of my residence. Three were literally in my neighborhood. You will not find any modern replicas of these guns, however.
          Bob Williams
          Blogsite: http://26nc.org/blog/

As [one of our cavalry] passed by, the general halted him and inquired "what part of the army he belonged to." "I don't belong to the army, I belong to the cavalry." "That's a fact," says [the general], "you can pass on." Silas Grisamore, 18th Louisiana

Comment

Oh, you can get exacting reproductions of early 19th Century North Carolina rifles in flint or percussion conversions with no problem, but the cost will be anywhere from $1,500 - $4,500+. There are a number of modern makers doing beautiful work from plain guns (thats the $1500.00 rifle) to the high end rifles. Plus there is a 1 - 5 year wait on the custom work.
            Thomas Pare Hern
            Co. A, 4th Virginia
            Stonewall Brigade

Comment

Hallo!

I was just looking at a few in the North Carolina history museum in Raleigh on Sunday. (and the 26 NC's flag...)

While they tended to be "higher end" pieces with inlays and forestock wear protectors, etc., one was more "indicative" of an everyday lad or "farmer's" type hunting rifle.

I would suggest you see if you can Inter-Library loan John Bivins' classic work LONGRIFLES OF NORTH CAROLINA that references some 400 NC gunmakers 1750-1850 .

Curt
              Last edited by Curt Schmidt; 06-04-2008, 09:25 AM.
              Curt Schmidt
              In gleichem Schritt und Tritt, Curt Schmidt

-Hard and sharp as flint...secret, and self-contained, and solitary as an oyster.
              -Haplogroup R1b M343 (Subclade R1b1a2 M269)
              -Pointless Folksy Wisdom Mess, Oblio Lodge #1
              -Vastly Ignorant
              -Often incorrect, technically, historically, factually.

Comment

Originally posted by Stonewall_Greyfox View Post
                If you have your ancestors letter...would you be willing to post it or the transcription here on the site? This is a valuable piece of evidence, that could be very beneficial to many on this site.
                A cousin has posted transcriptions of the letters between my great-great grandparents on the internet at http://ourspecial.net/26nccf/part1p/01cover.htm.
                Carlton Mansfield

Comment

Originally posted by Curt-Heinrich Schmidt View Post
                  Hallo!

I would suggest you see if you can Inter-Library loan John Bivins' classic work LONGRILFES OF NORTH CAROLINA that references some 400 NC gunmakers 1750-1850 .

Curt
                  The Appalachian Collection at the App State library has this book. I looked through it a little, and I must say that it has some wonderful examples of local gunsmith's work. I would definetly recomend trying to get a copy through your library.
                  Derek Carpenter
                  Starr's Battery

"First at Bethel, farthest at Gettysburg and Chickamauga, last at Appomattox"

Comment

I love this topic

Any idea of the economic status of his family?

Somewhere on here I have a document listing numbers of private arms in the hands of Co A 27 NC when they mustered in Goldsboro.

I think a few NC made rifles will pop up here, http://ncmuseumofhistory.org/MOH/VFP...HUMB_NAILS=YES,
                    Last edited by Vuhginyuh; 06-03-2008, 11:33 PM.
                    B. G. Beall (Long Gone)

Comment

Here you go. Not exactly cheap, but a nice rifle. They sometimes have Jamestown NC style rifles as well.

Derek Carpenter
                      Starr's Battery

"First at Bethel, farthest at Gettysburg and Chickamauga, last at Appomattox"

Comment

Working...
                      X