Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unusual Federal Jacket - cdv

Greetings,

Check out this guy's jacket--it's the damndest thing! His stripes are interesting too!

Regards,

Mark Jaeger
    Regards,

Mark Jaeger

Re: Unusual Federal Jacket - cdv

Strange to say the least. It looks as if he is holding a tri-corn hat in his lap as well. Could this fellow have belonged to a militia unit?
    Vince Jackson
    Straggler mess

Comment

Hey, he worked damn hard to be First Sgt and didn't want anybody confused about it once he got there! ;^)

"I AM THE FIRST SERGEANT!!!!!!"
      John Stillwagon

Comment

Proud, Yes. But as he had used all the twill tape in camp for the right arm, he couldn't put stripes on the left sleeve. That double breasted look is interesting. That's not a federal sack coat nor does it appear to be a fed frock either.

I also am guessing this is some very early war militiaman, and probably not Union.
        Fred Grogan
        Sykes' Regulars

Comment

Originally posted by va-yank
          I also am guessing this is some very early war militiaman, and probably not Union.
          Bingo! This is a battle shirt in my opinion and not some weird Union state jacket. The hat looks Southron to me, and the provenance of the CDVs (Old North State) indicate that Mr. Grogan has guessed correctly.
          Bill Cross
          The Rowdy Pards

Comment

Isn't that a tricorn hat in his lap? Louisiana backmark? My guess is a Mississippi troop.

PB

Comment

As per the comment about this being a Carolinian.

The cap on the ''Confederate'' looks like a '61 warrant issue for NC Troops.

The coat looks like a double breasted frock. The only frocks I have seen for NC enlisted men are the musician's and they have a single row.
              Can anybody tell what the belt fastener is? My poor display has little detail.
              It appears to be a roller buckle to me.

I have to question the Tenn. backmark though.

Obviously a soldier from any state can have an image made in any state he is in.

Did any NC Troops go to Tenn. early enough in the war to still have '61 warrat goods? I thought they all went into the Peninsula.
              Last edited by Vuhginyuh; 02-02-2004, 06:51 PM.
              B. G. Beall (Long Gone)

Comment

Originally posted by Company Tailor
                Isn't that a tricorn hat in his lap? Louisiana backmark? My guess is a Mississippi troop.

PB
                This confirms the " urban legend " I heard about the use of dark-blue-grey uniforms in LA troops, especially from New Orleans ( Color of a New orelan's cadets unit if I remember well, but I don't have the source.. if someone have any infos about it ... )

I've ordered the " Photographic History of Louisiana in the Civil War (Portraits of Conflict ) " If I find any info on such an uniform ( can we really say "uniform" ? I'll post it...

.. If I ever see someone dressed like that coming to the field, I get of rid of my rifle and all heavy stuff and run, fast and far :p
                Christophe Larribere

Comment

It is possible that its a tricorn hat, but I just don't see that. You folks may know quite a lot more about Southron militia finery than I do.

"Isn't that a tricorn hat in his lap? Louisiana backmark? My guess is a Mississippi troop."

PB,

Is the tricorn hat common to early war Mississippi in some way?
                  Fred Grogan
                  Sykes' Regulars

Comment

It was years ago that I saw the reference but yes, to the best of my reccolection the Mississippi state uniform regulations called for a hat turned up on three sides. Anyone have the source handy on that? I'd have to dig a bit to unearth it.

Cheers.

Comment

Working...
                    X