Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Federal Painted Groundcloth

Pards,
    Would anyone happen to know what the dimensions are for a Federal Painted Ground cloth? Does anyone know if there are any existing examples without grommets? Does anyone have the details about the gromments as far as the number and spacing? I do not have access to an original and hopefully someone can help me out. I am attempting to make my own. Any input would be greatly appreciated.
    Justin Connor

Re: Federal Painted Groundcloth

Justin,

Try this: http://www.33wis.com/articles/pdf/Gu...ket%20Regs.pdf

I believe CRRC2 also has what you are looking for.

Y.O.S.,
    [FONT="Georgia"][I]Marc Averill[/I]
    Dirigo Grays
    CWT[/FONT]

[I][COLOR="Blue"]"Time sets all things right. Error lives but a day. Truth is eternal." [/COLOR][/I]
    Lt. General James Longstreet

Comment

Justin
      I don't know if you've looked into this part or not...:
      paint:http://www.geocities.com/union_guard...ccoutermen.htm
      Some discourage period painting, others encourage, this is a judgement call you must make.
      I have some sources for the cloths that I made for Ryan and Sean...I will dig those out when the baby goes back to sleep and shoot you those.
      Luke Gilly
      Breckinridge Greys
      Lodge 661 F&AM

"May the grass grow long on the road to hell." --an Irish toast

Comment

That's exactly what I needed. Thank you!
        Justin Connor

Comment

Justin,
          Take a look at this image. Just out of color change/contrast it appears to me that the solider (in the famous punch bowl scene) is carrying either a painted cloth or some type of tent. Now, look at the grommet....it's a sewn on loop. To me, whatever he's carrying, it looks painted because the outside is significantly darker than the inside. It also does not look large enough to be an A-frame. So either this soldier is carrying a shelter half with this type of loop sewn on, or he has done some modifications to his gear. To me, it may be easier for a soldier to add this loop than a grommet hole if he is not particularly experienced with a needle. I know, "If if's and But's were candy and nuts, we'd all have a Merry Christmas." But this at least opens a door. Haha, welcome to my imagination land....but groundcloth or not, it's a possibility.
          Luke Gilly
          Breckinridge Greys
          Lodge 661 F&AM

Comment

What about a civilian or miltary tent fly of some type? Meybe its darker on the side he always lays on? Interesting train of thought here.
            Last edited by plankholder; 06-02-2008, 05:11 AM. Reason: fat fingers...
            -ELI GEERY- Corinthian No. 414-F&AM
            "The Dippin' Gourd Mess" (FOUNDER)
            "Original MOOCOWS Board of directors member"
            "The Bully Boys"
            "The Hard Case Boys"
            "The Independant Mess"
            29th Infantry DIV/OEF/OJG Veteran
            3d Iinfantry DIV/OIF Veteran

Comment

The Federal Quartermasters specifications were that the cloth be 71" X 46" with 18 grommets spaced no more than 14" apart. One side and one end had a 2" hem and the other end and side had a 1 " hem. Two Grommets were spaced along the edge of the 2" grommet to be used with 1" tape to tie off as a shawl. Grommets were 1/4" and brass. Given the fact that drill and canvas had widths of 27.5 early war and 33.5" later war there should be a seam somewhere in there.

Claude Sinclair
              Claude Sinclair
              Palmetto Battalion

Comment

All of the originals that I have seen have handsewn grommets or brass grommets, I have not seen one without them.
                Chad Wrinn

Comment

That's a very interesting picture Luke. I have another question. Were the gromments put on the cloth before or after it was painted? Were the gromments supposed to be painted or japanned?
                  Justin Connor

Comment

Justin, was looking at canteens and started browsing through Jim Mayo's website....thought it might be of use to you...It includes a pic of an original grommet from a poncho/rubber cloth.
                    Luke Gilly
                    Breckinridge Greys
                    Lodge 661 F&AM

Comment

I wonder if the US government had contractors who made painted ground cloths without grommets?
                      Justin Connor

Comment

If I remember correctly...in one of the old threads it was discussed that Federal Painted Ground-Cloths were pulled up from a wreck (The Bertrand??). The old thread, probably dating to 2004-2005, had pictures and dimensions of the clothes from the wreck.

If this rings any bells with anyone, please post with a follow-up.

Paul B.
                        Paul B. Boulden Jr.

RAH VA MIL '04
                        (Loblolly Mess)
                        [URL="http://23rdva.netfirms.com/welcome.htm"]23rd VA Vol. Regt.[/URL]
                        [URL="http://www.virginiaregiment.org/The_Virginia_Regiment/Home.html"]Waggoner's Company of the Virginia Regiment [/URL]

[URL="http://www.military-historians.org/"]Company of Military Historians[/URL]
                        [URL="http://www.moc.org/site/PageServer"]Museum of the Confederacy[/URL]
                        [URL="http://www.historicsandusky.org/index.html"]Historic Sandusky [/URL]

Inscription Capt. Archibold Willet headstone:

"A span is all that we can boast, An inch or two of time, Man is but vanity and dust, In all his flower and prime."

Comment

the Maple Leaf

Gents,

Mr. Boulden is referring to the Maple Leaf. Here’s a link to the website: http://mapleleafshipwreck.com

Search their database for “blanket” and you’ll get 29 returns with descriptions.

Regards,

geoffrey lehmann
                          geoffrey lehmann

Comment

Justin
                            I don't know if you're still working on this project or not...this image may be of use...I thoroughly enjoyed it and use it often working on shelter halfs and ground cloths.
                            I stold it from the Sykes Regulars website.

Any brass grommets that I have ever seen were added after the painting. If the grommet is sewn, then it will pierce the paint and cause the grommet to be a leaking spot...however, soaking the thread in beeswax prevents this and triples the life of the grommet. Hope this is helpful.
                            Last edited by lukegilly13; 07-10-2008, 11:59 AM. Reason: adding text
                            Luke Gilly
                            Breckinridge Greys
                            Lodge 661 F&AM

Comment

Working...
                            X