Loading While Lying

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Loading While Lying

I agree with Patrick, on this. (Great reference, too!)

Let's all agree that 90% of the times that we kick rocks to an event, that we don't drill with the same people, same company commanders, same levels of knowledge in the applicable fields, etc., thus making it very difficult to get everyone on the same page at events. I tried it for 4 years as a company commander and you never get the exact same people to drill with; there are always new recruits, old comrads, other units, (fill in the reason), that tweak your experience each time out.

Now, I know there will be those out there, who will attest to their case being different. That's fine and that's right. We live lives outside of the Hobby - the Soldiers, lived a life confined within their position in the Army/Navy of 1861-1865.

I absolutely believe that in the heat of the moment, unless you have nerves of steel, you won't be focusing on what the hell a bunch of booklearning, math dandies made up for you to fight.

Am I wrong? :sarcastic
    Guy W. Gane III
    Casting Director/Owner
    Old Timey Casting, LLC.

Member of:
    49th NYVI Co. B
    The Filthy Mess

Historian since 1982 - Reenactor since birth - Proud Member of the 'A.C.' since September 2004.sigpic

Comment

Re: Loading While Lying

The idea of the (all) manual method was that by repetion in training will have the soldier doing it unconciously when asked to do it. Also what was illustrated in the manual was not so much as the 'one best way' to do things (it there was 'one best way' there would have been only one manual never updated) as the way that the military felt that it got the results it wanted from the activity.

I doubt very much in the middle of a battle when lives were on the line an offcier was going to worry too much about how his men were doing it as long as they were accomplishing what he needed done (in this case through enough lead at us Yankees to keep us beyond bayonet distance).

He might note mistakes and deal with it at the next drill opportunity.

However if the guy crossing his feet was also throwing out the most lead a good combat officer is also going to 're-write' the manual.

So train them how it says in the manual and only worry about the individual methods if it adversely affects performance.
      Bob Sandusky
      Co C 125th NYSVI
      Esperance, NY

Comment

Working...
      X