Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

M1850 Foot Officer Sword With Wood Grips?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• M1850 Foot Officer Sword With Wood Grips?

I recently traded into an original M1850 Foot Officer Sword that has what appears to be a dark polished wood grip. There's no evidence that there was ever a ray or leather wrap as the wire fits tightly and there is no sign the pommel has ever been removed. Has anyone ever seen this variation? I haven't been able to find anything online.

I'm assuming this is an import sword as it is completely unmarked. It was probably of mediocre quality in its day -- no etching on the blade and the unusual grip -- but it is head and shoulders above any reproduction on the market today. I'm just curious in knowing exactly what it is -- does anyone have any idea?

Thanks,
    Attached Files
    Bill Reagan
    23rd Reg't
    Va. Vol. Infy.

Re: M1850 Foot Officer Sword With Wood Grips?

Hey Bill,

It looks like you have an import M1845 French foot officer sword [M1850 U.S. Infantry foot sword, to us]. This particular one has a horn handle and not wood, I don't think. These were used by both sides during the War and are usually engraved on the top "spine" of the blade with a manufacturer's id. It could be a klingenthal weapon, but they usually have a few touchmarks at the junction of where the tang goes through the hilt and into the handle. Have you inspected it closely under the red felt washer? These were made from 1850 - 1880's, and it could be that maybe you have something from the Franco-Prussian war if not from the Civil War. I own a few of these, but they all have rayskin and hallmarks of klingenthal. I did a little research on them awhile back when I was kickin' around buying one that was purportedly owned by a Louisiana Cavalry officer and bore his initials. I spoke with several experts before purchasing, but they were still sketchy with these horn handle imports. However, I seem to remember finding a source of them having been made pre-1860, but cannot recall now. Glad you brought this to light as maybe someone here can enlighten us even more on these illusive unmarked, horn/wood handle swords.
    Christopher E. McBroom, Capt.
    16th Ark. Infantry - 1st Arkansas Battalion, C.S.A.

Little Rock Castle No. 1
    Order of Knights of the Golden Circle

Comment

Christopher,

I believe you are correct that the grip is horn, and thanks for the other information as well. I hope someone else will chime in, especially on instances of documented swords with this type of grip.

I've examined the sword closely -- including under the felt pad -- and there are no markings whatsoever.
      Last edited by VMI88; 06-09-2008, 11:36 AM.
      Bill Reagan
      23rd Reg't
      Va. Vol. Infy.

Comment

Hello,

That does look a lot like the Model 1823 French Foot officers sword I have in my collection. Check the blade again to see if there is any inscription on it. There is on mine but it is very faint.
        [COLOR=DarkRed][SIZE=4][FONT=Times New Roman]En Obtien!...James T. Miller[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]

Comment

Working...
        X