Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Under Draws pattern?

Hello,
    Does anyone happen to know where I would be able find an authentic pattern for under draws? As the budget is a little tight right now I decided to try and sew one. Thanks in advance.
    [FONT="Georgia"][/FONT] Aaron Bolis
    1st. co. Richmond Howitzers

Re: Under Draws pattern?

try this
    [FONT="Garamond"]Justin A. Meinert[/FONT]

Comment

Hi,

County Cloth sells Federal issue drawers patterns. You may also want to go to W, W, and Company, they sell great Federal drawers kits for a $35.00. I have sewn two of them in the last few months, and am most pleased with the kits.
      Andrew Kasmar

Comment

ditto on the Wambaugh, White, & Co. kits. Not only do you get the correct material, already cut for you, but excellent instructions and tech support - all for a few more dollars than a quality pattern.
        Ross L. Lamoreaux
        rlamoreaux@tampabayhistorycenter.org

"...and if profanity was included in the course of study at West Point, I am sure that the Army of the Cumberland had their share of the prize scholars in this branch." - B.F. Scribner, 38th Indiana Vol Inf

Comment

I can't speak with familiarity about this kit, but the County Cloth patterns are not for the beginner.

I have made several garments from kits, and having everything laid out for you is preferable to mastering the process from a pattern.
          Bill Cross
          The Rowdy Pards

Comment

I have had a decent time using the Past Patterns civilian drawers pattern (http://pastpatterns.com/1850.html) on muslin. Very quality directions and full of information as well and the originals are machine sewn. And while kits are great, I can make as many drawers as I will ever need so this works great for me.

Evan O'Dell

Comment

Great thread. I was also looking to purchase some drawers but thought I might take a crack at sewing a set myself (although I might start with a haversack).

If you still have copies of those diaries from the men of the Howitzers I'd sure like to get a copy. I have a copy of "Richmond Howitzers in the War, Four Years Campaigning with the Army of Northern Virginia" if you don't already have a copy.
              Steve Boecker
              Co. A First Texas Infantry
              28th Louisiana IPW

"Too late, sir, the battle is won.”
              Richard Taylor after the Battle of Mansfield to a messenger from Kirby Smith ordering him to retreat

Comment

Originally posted by Steven B View Post
                Great thread. I was also looking to purchase some drawers but thought I might take a crack at sewing a set myself (although I might start with a haversack).
                While it's true that soldiers paid other soldiers to sew for them, the plain fact is that history indicates they learned to sew for themselves. That was probably limited to repairs and modifications; I have read that soldiers liked pockets and often put them in their sack coats, for example.

There are plenty of sites on-line that show you how to do period stitching. I definitely think it brings you closer to the period to try a few "easy" items like drawers, haversacks, or even the Federal Issue Shirt, which isn't all that hard to make (though getting the domet flannel these days apparently is a challenge).
                Bill Cross
                The Rowdy Pards

Comment

Ole' Mr. Modesty himself, Ross L. Lamoreaux whipped me up, by hand mind you, a dandy set of canton flannel drawers. They are indeed one of my prize articles of kit. Go figure, underwear. On time, on budget no worries..couldnt ask for more. His meticulous attention to detail, hand felling and the consistency of his handstitches are first rate. I'll do pics of his work if anyone is interested.

Comment

Visited the ww and company website for a look at their federal drawers kit. Looks like all the hard work is done. My question is about measurements.

Does the waist of a set of drawers correspond to the waist of a pair of 19th century trousers, which is about one inch above the navel. Or is it at the hips which would be closer to your modern pants size?
                    Steve Boecker
                    Co. A First Texas Infantry
                    28th Louisiana IPW

"Too late, sir, the battle is won.”
                    Richard Taylor after the Battle of Mansfield to a messenger from Kirby Smith ordering him to retreat

Comment

Definitely the 19th century trouser waist. These drawers have a high waistband.
                      Ross L. Lamoreaux
                      rlamoreaux@tampabayhistorycenter.org

"...and if profanity was included in the course of study at West Point, I am sure that the Army of the Cumberland had their share of the prize scholars in this branch." - B.F. Scribner, 38th Indiana Vol Inf

Comment

Here's a question.

Has anyone drafted a drawers pattern with the leg seam on the outside of the leg like the U.S. drawers in the danish museum (I'm not even going to try to spell it)?

Might be just the thing for prewar impressions where only SA garments are appropriate, like Ft. Moultrie for instance.

Matt Wright

Comment

Working...
                        X