Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• imported uniforms

Gentlemen,
    While we all know at least a little about the Tait imports, although their are still more questions than answers on that front, what about other imported uniforms. While re-reading Les Jensen's classic article on CS uniforms, the following passage stood out more than in the past. Has anyone pursued this line any further?

At the same time, a number of contracts were let with speculators for uniforms and cloth to be run through the blockade. Perhap the biggest of these was let on 12 January 1864 with Haiman and Brother and David Rosenburg of Columbus, Georgia, for 100,000 uniforms. Delivery was to be in Liverpool, England in three batches, due on 1 May, l July and 1 October 1864. Initially to be procured in Prussia, the contract was later amended to allow purchase anywhere in Europe and extending the initial delivery date to 1 July and termination to 1 November 1864. A large portion of the contract had been received by July, 1864.

Jensen's citation for this passage reads: Contras, 12 January 1864, QMG with David Rosenberg and Lewis and Elias Haiman, NA, RG 365, Entry 59, Treasury Dept., Contracts.; NA, RG 109, Chapter V, Vol. 227, QMD Memoranda Book, 1864.
    Pat Brown

Re: imported uniforms

There have been prussian uniform buttons found in late war CS sites. The ones I have seen (2) had regimental numbers on them and I always thought that they may have been Prussian officers acting as observers. Maybe that wasn't the case if the Confederacy received some surplus uniforms from Prussia.
    Jim Mayo
    Portsmouth Rifles, Company G, 9th Va. Inf.

CW Show and Tell Site
    http://www.angelfire.com/ma4/j_mayo/index.html

Comment

Re: imported uniforms

This is an interesting subject. To be honest its the first i've heard of uniforms being imported from Prussia to the south. The more commonly found example is the 41st New York with their Prussian style Cartirdge Boxes. If anyone else has any information on this subject I'd love to hear it.
      Jonathan Bachmann

The Jefferson Guards

Comment

Working...
      X