Hold Your Scabbard!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hold Your Scabbard!

Does anyone have documentation of Confederate Officers carrying their sword scabbard in the hand instead of on a sword belt?
    Thanks,
    Chad Wrinn

Re: Hold Your Scabbard!

I suspect people will post with documentation, But I think that not wanting to trip and fall all tied up in that dangly knife in front of your men will prove to be one of those "common sense" issues that were adopted, like not wearing your haversack down to your knees.;)
    Just a private soldier trying to make a difference

Patrick Peterson
    Old wore out Bugler

Comment

It's been said a million times---Look at pictures from the period being portrayed. Simple enough (this falls under the K.I.S.S rule).

I carry mine while marching and usually have it hooked to the drags but not on the hook- I hate that damned hook. When I want to, I'll take the scabbard off the drags to march. From the photos of officers I have looked at, not many (maybe 25%) are pictured with the scabbard hooked on the large hook while the rest are either carrying the scabbard on the drags or are cradling the sword/scabbard (these cradled pics are from seated pics taken in the studio). Go to the LOC and other websites, look at your EOG (if you have it/them), and go to your local Library and see what you can dig up- it'll be fun!
      Chris R. Henderson

Big'uns Mess/Black Hat Boys
      WIG/GVB
      In Memory of Wm. Davis Couch, Phillips Legion Cav. from Hall Co. GEORGIA

It's a trick, Gen. Sherman!...there's TWO of 'em! ~Lewis Grizzard

"Learning to fish for your own information will take you a lot further than merely asking people to feed you the info you want." ~Troy Groves:D

Comment

I've looked at many pictures but I can't identity if they are holding them and wearing an enlist waist belt or a sword belt.
        Chad Wrinn

Comment

I've seen so many officers trip and fall on scabbards over the years - they're rather awkward to wear on the belt hook when marching. I used to leave the scabbard attached to the drags and hold the thing w/. my left hand whenever moveing fast or through rough ground.

I've actually always wondered if perhaps swords were not carried on active campaign; I've never found any reference to this, though. Has anybody ever come across references to swords being left behind?

Dave, please remember to sign your full name to ALL your posts. Thanks. Patrick Craddock, AC Mod.
          Last edited by Bushrod Carter; 06-21-2008, 07:15 AM.
          Dave Schwartz,
          Company B, 79th NY Vols.
          (New York Highland Guard)

Comment

In Army Life of an Illinois Soldier, Major Charles W. Wills' of the 103rd Illinois writes in his diary for March 12, 1865:

"Fayetteville, N.C... We are camped a couple of miles from town. Marched about 13 miles to-day. Had to put down pontoons at both branches of Rockfish creek...In the last 23 days the commissary has issued only two and one-half days' of bread. I lost my sword to-day. Left it where we stopped for dinner. We have lost so much sleep of late that at every halt half the command is asleep in a minute. I lay down and told them not to wake me for dinner nor until the regiment moved. The regiment had started when Frank woke me, and I got on my horse too stupid to think of anything. Did not miss my sword for five miles, when I went back for, but no use."

Wills was promoted to major during the Carolinas campaign and clearly hung on to his sword in the midst of very hard campaigning. Perhaps being mounted made a difference and you can't infer a whole lot from his account as to what other officers may have been doing. Still, an interesting account and Wills' clearly valued his sword enough to personally ride 5 miles back to look for it, then turn around and ride more than 5 miles to rejoin his regiment. Some importance must have been placed on swords, even if just as badges of rank.
            [FONT="Times New Roman"][/FONT] Aaron Racine
            [COLOR="Blue"][I]Holmes' Brigade, USV[/I][/COLOR]
            [COLOR="Silver"][COLOR="Gray"][I]Macon County Silver Greys[/I][/COLOR][/COLOR]

[COLOR="Red"]"This gobbling of things so, disgusts me much. I think the city should be burned, but would like to see it done decently." - Maj. Charles W. Wills, February 17, 1865, before Columbia, S.C.[/COLOR]

Comment

I think the choice to carry the sword or use the hanger is the individual officer's preference. When I was adjutant I often carried my sword on the march and used the hanger in the field. Many times I found myself high-tailing it and held the scabbard to keep from tripping on the damned thing. On page 79 of the Union EoG there is a picture of the 7th NY Cav. The officers in the foreground appear to have their sabers on the hanger. However, other pictures(p. 117) show officers with their swords on the drags. I don't think there is a defined answer to this question.
              Morgan B. Tittle

The Drunken Lullaby Mess

"... We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language ... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."
              Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Comment

Gents,

Except for Aaron's reply, all the responses here have been anecdotal or specualtive in nature, so why not add to the pile...

As a long time cavalry reenactor who has worn a sabre (longer and heavier than the infantry officer swords) for many years, I don't think that actual CW officers would have had a problem living with their swords. Wearing it and not tripping over it is just a matter of becoming accustomed to it, and knowing how to wear it/hang it properly from your belt. I've crossed all manner of terrain and managed a horse from the ground and never found the sabre to be a problem.

That said, I for one would like to see more period accounts and a little less speculation.

Take care,
                Tom Craig
                Last edited by Tom Craig; 06-20-2008, 07:16 AM. Reason: Spelling error
                Tom Craig

Comment

Ok, here are my two cents worth...

FIRST, IF an officers knows HOW to wear his sword, attached to the hook, he WILL NOT trip nor fall! There IS a CORRECT way to do this!

Second: Look at the "Officers Three" photo. Those dudes stopped during a march and had a photo op. Check it out.
                  PATRICK CRADDOCK
                  Prometheus No. 851
                  Franklin, Tennessee
                  Widows' Sons Mess
                  www.craftsmansapron.com

Aut Bibat Aut Abeat

Can't fix stupid... Johnny Lloyd

Comment

"FIRST, IF an officers knows HOW to wear his sword, attached to the hook, he WILL NOT trip nor fall! There IS a CORRECT way to do this!"

Marse Craddock just said a mouthfull. If memory serves the regs say the sword 'is to be hooked up on duty'. While I think this would be relaxed at route step there's really no problem with marching hooked up. You keep the left hand on the scabbard and tilt it forward, it quickly becomes second nature to tilt it higher to clear obstacles. The most difficult thing I've encountered is going up steep steps. A real advantage (to me) is that when you halt you have both hands free.
                    John Duffer
                    Independence Mess
                    MOOCOWS
                    WIG
                    "There lies $1000 and a cow."

Comment

carry the sword, then on stops to provide "free Hands" use the hanger...

The 3x Fed officers in the photo are all wearing Sword Belts and have their sword in hand.

or as seen in the second photo of the officer inspecting a USCT at FT Wagner Chas SC, he is using the sword hanger to allow for both hands free in ispection of arms. Now wether he is using the straps and the hanger or just the hanger is undetermined.

cheers
                      Attached Files
                      [B][I]Skip Owens[/I][/B]

EMAIL:[EMAIL="saltwaterboy01@gmail.com"]saltwaterboy01@gmail.com[/EMAIL]

[U]Southern Guard Living History Assn.
                      [URL="http://www.southernguard.org"]http://www.southernguard.org[/URL]

The Company of Military Historians[/U]

Comment

If I could throw in another anecdote:

When I was an adjutant, I had it on the hook, usually tilted it forward or back to keep myself from tripping up. Other times I would just carry it on the hangars and run with it in hand.
                        Stefan Vallecillo

Comment

Working...
                        X