Columbus Depot Buttons

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Columbus Depot Buttons

I've searched the forum, read Les Jenson's articles, and looked at original pictures from a page linked to the forum. However, I am still unsure. Does anyone know what buttons were used on Columbs Depot jackets (in their earliest stages of production)? I have seen buttons on some originals and seen some in pictures (not real clear but they seem to be block I). However, the buttons could of been replaced. Are there any documentations of the CD ordering buttons or comments on the buttons of new issued jackets in the AOT?
    Luke Gilly
    Breckinridge Greys
    Lodge 661 F&AM

"May the grass grow long on the road to hell." --an Irish toast

Re: Columbus Depot Buttons

EDITED FOR CORRECTION

The earliest jacket in this group, a Columbus Type I, belonged to Pvt. Elijah C. Woodward,
    Co C, 9th Kentucky Infantry.

The Woodward CD is the earliest provenenace of the extant CD jacket's and it has Block I buttons. edited: Just pulled out EOG and I was wrong on this.

Dan Wambaugh makes a first rate reproduction of the Woodward right down down to specially dyed jean His repro has the Cast I thus the confusion,
    Last edited by OldKingCrow; 06-17-2008, 02:17 PM.

Comment

Many CD jackets seemed to have been issued with cast brass block I buttons. According to conversations with Ga. relic hunters the cast block I is as common a find in Georgia and Tennessee as the tin back block I is in ANV theater of operations.
      Jim Mayo
      Portsmouth Rifles, Company G, 9th Va. Inf.

CW Show and Tell Site
      http://www.angelfire.com/ma4/j_mayo/index.html

Comment

To support Jim's comments on solid cast I buttons, here is a member of Lumsden's Alabama battery wearing an infantry jacket with cast "I"s. Unfortunately the photo copy is not real clear.
        Bob Williams
        26th North Carolina Troops
        Blogsite: http://26nc.org/blog/

As [one of our cavalry] passed by, the general halted him and inquired "what part of the army he belonged to." "I don't belong to the army, I belong to the cavalry." "That's a fact," says [the general], "you can pass on." Silas Grisamore, 18th Louisiana

Comment

Bob, how can you identify those buttons as CAST block I's?
          ~ Chris Hubbard
          Robert L. Miller Award Winner No. 28 May, 2007
          [url]www.acwsa.org[/url]

Comment

A brief survey of surviving jackets of this general pattern and their buttons

-Woodward's jacket (likely 1862) actually has a full set of five Kentucky state seal buttons
            -of the 3 likely 1863 jackets, two are from the CS army around the Mississippi River/Vicksburg; one Mississippi "I"s and one has cast "CSA"s
            -the other supposed 1863 jacket in an AoT jacket and it has federal eagle buttons, plus small civilian cuff buttons added
            -the officer's jacket with an 1864 date, have civilian harden rubber four hole buttons
            -the jacket in Oklahoma has cast "I"s
            -the Weller (most often reproduced; a likely 1865 jacket) has a combination of script "I"s and Kentucky state seals
            -the Randolph (a likely 1865 jacket) has post-war replacement US Army buttons.
            (this list was first posted from memory, but has been checked against the greatest source on the topic http://authentic-campaigner.com/arti.../cdjacket3.htm)

note: it seems that only two jackets have cast buttons, one "I" and one "CSA" and neither of those have strong AoT connections; not to deny AoT usuage of cast buttons b/c digs make it clear, just looking at the surviving originals.
            __________________________________________________ ______________________________________

While none exist today on the so-called Columbus Depot jackets, don't discount the value wooden buttons:

"While on an inspecting tour in Columbus, Ga. in the winter of 1862-63, I was informed that wooden, horn and bone buttons were being manufactured there, and I visited the plant. The factory was owned by a former lieutenant of the Confederate army, who had lost an arm in one of the early battles.

The motive power of his factory was an engine of moderate horsepower that had been used to run a printing press. So complete were the saws, borers, and drying kilns that in the final process of their manufacture the completed buttons dropped into the hoppers with as much rapidity as nails from a nail making machine."

Dr. S.H. Stout, Medical Director of Hospitals in Confederate Veteran Magazine.
            as borrowed from Robert Serio's website http://www.missouribootandshoe.com/index.asp
            Last edited by brown; 06-17-2008, 07:50 AM. Reason: a little more info and some citations
            Pat Brown

Comment

I believe the block cast "I" has been the most commonly used. Of course there were exceptions, but for a rank and file impression, you can't go wrong with them. If yu are doing a specific unit, research them and see if you can find quartermaster records or such.
              I believe the term "block" refers to a solid, one-piece construction with the back dished out and the eyelet part of the casting. If someone knows otherwise please correct me on that.
              Just a private soldier trying to make a difference

Patrick Peterson
              Old wore out Bugler

Comment

Luke,

The "CD" styled jacket in its earliest manufacture most likely would not have had solid cast "I" buttons if the diggers are correct since most of the solid cast "I" buttons are from the 1864 Atlanta campaign. I have the original Jenkins Jacket. It has eagle buttons that appear sewn on when the coat was made. Jenkins most likely got this in the summer of 1863. Furthermore, speculation is that the "Columbus" depot style jacket was made at other facilities, not just at the Eagle Mills at Columbus. Your question is a good one and if I had to guess I would say state or US buttons on the earliest.

Joe Walker
                Waco Guards

Comment

Thanks for the quick responses. I'm searching for the columbus Depot records...does anyone know where to find those?

I had always pictured federal eagle buttons and wooden/bone buttons as being used as replacements on depot jackets. It never occurred to me that the depots might of actually purchased those type buttons in bulk. Are the "cast" buttons made by large machine with a stamping process? It seems to me that if the depot possessed such machine it would still be existance or some evidence of it would at east be available.
                  Luke Gilly
                  Breckinridge Greys
                  Lodge 661 F&AM

"May the grass grow long on the road to hell." --an Irish toast

Comment

Originally posted by csabugler View Post
                    I believe the term "block" refers to a solid, one-piece construction with the back dished out and the eyelet part of the casting. If someone knows otherwise please correct me on that.
                    Patrick: The term block refers to the style of the letter, usually a plain roman style I hence the name "cast block I". However the I on the cast brass buttons tend to be a little fatter than the Richmond style block I.

There is also a tin back block I we usually call the Tennessee Puff I. Don't ask me why it is named after Tennessee but they have a distinctive front and seem to be commony found in the deep South. It really doesn't matter because nobody I know of makes reproductions of that button.

I would agree that for early war, wood buttons would be more common than cast brass simply because there were wood buttons around and it took time to get the cast buttons manufactured and out to the depots. That is just a WAG on my part and I don't have any info to back it up. As for Kentucky state seals, my guess is that they were too expensive and scarce to use on the commonly issued CD jackets. They may be period or post war replacements that are seen on the surviving jackets.
                    Jim Mayo

CW Show and Tell Site

Comment

Jim, I stand corrected, i believe you are right. Brain fart from an old man...

Patrick Peterson
                      Old wore out Bugler

Comment

Luke,

Minchner out of Griffin, Ga was making the rectangle "CSA" belt plates for the Atlanta depot to issue and since the cast "I"s were showing up about the same time, it has been speculated that they were the source for the "I" buttons. The belt plates were foundry cast, not stamped and the buttons show the same process with a casting sprue. However, I think Lee White or Daryl Black (AC members) would have an oppinion and perhaps an answer.

Back to the early issue "CD" jacket buttons........you would need to consider what was "on hand" for the depots to apply which would automatically throw in the US and state buttons as candidates.

Joe Walker
                        Waco Guards

Comment

Joe Walker, I have been living in a Griffin, GA zip code for about 3 years. I've seen some local history but nothing on Minchner. Do you have any research info handy on him? Might be able to do some research here locally, just for general info on the mfgr.

Patrick Peterson
                          Old wore out Bugler

Comment

Patrick-

I just sent you a PM with the source.

Joe Walker
                            Waco Guards

Comment

Originally posted by Joe Walker View Post
                              Luke,

Back to the early issue "CD" jacket buttons........you would need to consider what was "on hand" for the depots to apply which would automatically throw in the US and state buttons as candidates.

Joe Walker
                              Waco Guards
                              Joe: Just a thought, what source would the CD draw on for on hand early war buttons? Richmond clothing makers already had a relationship with northern suppliers. I would assume that portions of this relationship would have carried on into the Depot era.

Did Columbus have a textile community that could have had a similar relationship?

For what it's worth, the Georgia regiment that came to Portsmouth (either the 2nd or the 4th, can't remember which) in the early war had Georgia buttons on thier uniforms. We know this because they left some.
                              Jim Mayo

CW Show and Tell Site

Comment

Working...
                              X