C.S. Star canteen.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• C.S. Star canteen.

Can anyone give me some info on the C.S. tin star canteen? What theater were they used in,and what year of the war? Thanks,RLee....
    Roy Lee.[FONT=Book Antiqua][/FONT][SIZE=5][/SIZE][COLOR="#000080"][/COLOR]

Re: C.S. Star canteen.

The little information I dug up came from page 49 of "The Civil War Canteen" by Robert Jones. It shows a dug relic star canteen with the caption that they were rare, and made in North Carolina for the Confederacy. This particular one was found at Kennesaw Mountain, so it has western provenance.
    Ross L. Lamoreaux
    rlamoreaux@tampabayhistorycenter.org

"...and if profanity was included in the course of study at West Point, I am sure that the Army of the Cumberland had their share of the prize scholars in this branch." - B.F. Scribner, 38th Indiana Vol Inf

Comment

Gettysburg NMP has one that was a battlefield pickup as I recall. so here is an eastern theater use by Jul '63 and probably a few months earlier since it was already in use during a CS campaign into enemy territory.

Check Jim Mayo's website: http://www.angelfire.com/ma4/j_mayo/uscanteen.html He has a lot of good info there. Make sure you explore around a bit too! There is also a canteen book by a Silvia & O’Donnell that is a good source book.
      [FONT=Times New Roman][COLOR=DarkSlateGray][SIZE=3]Michael Phillips, GGG Grandson of
      Pvt Edmond Phillips, 44th NCT, Co E, "The Turtle Paws"[/SIZE]
      [SIZE=2]Mustered in March 1862
      Paroled at Appomattox C.H. Virginia, April 15, 1865[/SIZE][/COLOR][/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3][COLOR=Navy][B]"Good, now we'll have news from Hell before breakfast."[/B][/COLOR][/SIZE]
      Was Gen Sherman's response upon hearing the capture and execution of 3 reporters who had followed from Atlanta, by the rebels.
      The execution part turned out to be false.[COLOR=DarkRed] [B]Dagg Nabbit![/B][/COLOR][/FONT]

Comment

Thanks for your input fellas! Anymore out there?
        Roy Lee.[FONT=Book Antiqua][/FONT][SIZE=5][/SIZE][COLOR="#000080"][/COLOR]

Comment

The North Carolina provenance is debatable. It has become more urban legend, propogated by several sutlers, than anything else. Everything that has a six pointed star on it isn't a NC "sunburst."

Most known examples are from the western theater. If anyone can find a definite association to the Old North State, I'd be interested in seeing it.

It's like the old "VS" buckle, which everyone assumed must stand for "Volunteer State" and therefore be a Tennessee buckle (although found only in the east, where few Tennessee served). In actuality, it stands for "Volunteer Southrons," a company in the 21st Mississippi from Vicksburg. Another assumption shot to hell.
          Bob Williams
          26th North Carolina Troops
          Blogsite: http://26nc.org/blog/

As [one of our cavalry] passed by, the general halted him and inquired "what part of the army he belonged to." "I don't belong to the army, I belong to the cavalry." "That's a fact," says [the general], "you can pass on." Silas Grisamore, 18th Louisiana

Comment

Scuttlebut has it that when / if the new canteen book ever comes out these canteens will be called Federal.

Here are two, one with and one without cover.

Angelfire on Lycos, established in 1995, is one of the leading personal publishing communities on the Web. Angelfire makes it easy for members to create their own blogs, web sites, get a web address (domain) and start publishing online.
            Last edited by Jimmayo; 06-22-2008, 11:16 AM. Reason: additional info
            Jim Mayo
            Portsmouth Rifles, Company G, 9th Va. Inf.

CW Show and Tell Site
            http://www.angelfire.com/ma4/j_mayo/index.html

Comment

The book: Civil War Canteens by Stephen W. Sylvia and Michael J. O'Donnell 1983... has one pictured.

It is described as an oblate spheroid canteen made of tin with a 6 pointed star impressed on both sides. not known if they were pre-war Militia, or products of the Confederacy.

Canteen pictured is captioned on it's GAR tag: "Rebel Canteen donated by Henry Webster, 9th N.H.V"

Info stated came from Beverly M. Dubose, JR.

Kevin Dally
              Kevin Dally

Comment

Good discussion.....For the record. I talked to Jo at Orchard Hill last month and at the time she had a $50 special on their star canteens.

D.W. Scalf
                D.W.(Trace)Scalf
                19th Alabama Infantry(Australia)
                [url]http://www.19thal.50webs.com/[/url]

“Power corrupts. Knowledge is power. Study hard. Be evil.”

"Only the dead have seen the end of War".
                George Santayana

Comment

Working...
                X