X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• M1842 Springfield Ammunition

Hi,

Does anyone know if soldiers issued M1842 Springfield muskets, used 58 caliber ammunition on the battlefield; if and when the 69 caliber ammunition ran out? I would think that they would use the 58 caliber ammunition if it was the only ammunition that they could find. Thanks.
    Andrew Kasmar

Re: M1842 Springfield Ammunition

I would imagine it would be more likely for them to be pulled out of the line and sent to resupply while a fresh unit moved in to take their place.
    Michael Comer
    one of the moderator guys

Comment

I don't know if you've ever tried to fire a 60 grain powder charge out of your 42 with anything rammed on top of it but when I tried it, it didn't cook off. It was a matter of the paper covering the flash hole. I switched to a .69 cal tube with a 90 grain blank charge and it sounds like thunder. I had her barking loud at the Mill:wink_smil.
      Chris R. Henderson

Big'uns Mess/Black Hat Boys
      WIG/GVB
      In Memory of Wm. Davis Couch, Phillips Legion Cav. from Hall Co. GEORGIA

It's a trick, Gen. Sherman!...there's TWO of 'em! ~Lewis Grizzard

"Learning to fish for your own information will take you a lot further than merely asking people to feed you the info you want." ~Troy Groves:D

Comment

Hi,

Thanks for the information. I was just at a reenactment this last weekend, and I was using 65 grain rounds in my M1842 Springfield, and it would not fire. I have been wonder why it did not go off, but that would explain it.
        Andrew Kasmar

Comment

Working...
        X