Hungy-Gungy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hungy-Gungy

Thought I would share this. My father found these memoirs of First Sergeant George H. Coffin.

"Three Years in the Army" by George H. Coffin, 1st Sgt, First Maine Heavy Artillery.

"A small part of one hard tack was all I had to eat that day. Howard Stratton had a small piece of pork and I had one hard tack, so we pooled our rations and made a "Hungy-Gungy", and just as we sat down to enjoy our banquet along came Captain Smith so we shared our small allowance with him."

I was honestly shocked and somewhat amused when I saw the term. I have never come across that term before.

I hope that you readers will incorporate this term in your vocabulary for first person.!

Just wanted to share!
    Krystin Contant Piston

Re: Hungy-Gungy

Hi,

Thanks for posting that; I will most certainly try incorporate that term in my first person vocabulary.
    Andrew Kasmar

Comment

Re: Hungy-Gungy

It would be interesting to know how the banquet was prepared. Was the cracker broken up, was water added to soften the cracker and boil the pork? If so the cracker would thicken the water and with chopped up pork make a dandy stew.

The term Gungy I have used for many years as a Marine, but the Hungy portion is new. Interesting term!

Thanks for posting

S/F

DJM
      Dan McLean

Cpl

Failed Battery Mess

Bty F, 1st PA Lt Arty
      (AKA LtCol USMC)

[URL]http://www.batteryf.cjb.net[/URL]

Comment

Working...
      X