Source for W.E.Matthew's diary, 33rd Alabama

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Source for W.E.Matthew's diary, 33rd Alabama

Years ago I was given a zerox copy the transcribed memoirs of W.E. Matthews of the 33rd Alabama. This is the best account that I have found that gives prodigious amounts of details on material culture. I need to reference the diary in something I'm writing but don't have any of the information regarding where the original document is at or if it has ever been published before.

Anyone know. I think Dr. Darryl Black, who was just a young post high-school wippersnapper at the time, gave it to me. :D Darryl, you out there?
    Mark Hubbs
    My book, The Secret of Wattensaw Bayou, is availible at Amazon.com and other on-line book sellers

Visit my history and archaeology blog at: www.erasgone.blogspot.com

Re: Source for W.E.Matthew's diary, 33rd Alabama

Mark-

I think Bob Parker had something to do with it. I will check with him too.

Joe Walker

Comment

Mark,

The Alabama Department of Archives and History Library has in their collection W.E. Matthews Preston and L. B. Williams, Diary and regimental history 1862-1994.

This collection contains a diary and regimental history, as well as additional material and comments provided by the editor, L. B. Williams. The diary relates the experiences of Preston and his regiment throughout the Civil War. Included are descriptions of daily life, disease, supplies, troop movements and the battles of Bardstown, Perryville, Murfreesboro, Chattanooga, Chickamauga, Missionary Ridge, Dalton-Atlanta, and Franklin. The author also briefly discusses the various leaders of the Confederate Army. The regimental history includes various details about individual soldiers.

Note(s): Reproduction: Typed transcripts; W. E. Mathews Preston, a resident of Skipperville in Dale County, Al., served as a private in Company B, 33rd Alabama Infantry Regiment.

Preferred citation: W.E. Mathews Preston Diary and regimental history, SPR393, Alabama Dept. of Archives and History.

Original or duplicate materials: Originals in private hands.

Hope this helps,
      Steve LaBarre
      Corn Fed Comrades

Comment

Thanks Steve,

Thats what I needed to know!
        Mark Hubbs
        My book, The Secret of Wattensaw Bayou, is availible at Amazon.com and other on-line book sellers

Visit my history and archaeology blog at: www.erasgone.blogspot.com

Comment

Mark,

LB (Tex) Williams lives in Auburn, Alabama and could probably assist you. I had an autographed copy of his book, "A Sketch of the 33rd Alabama Volunteer Infantry Regiment" , but it got lost in the mail when I shipping gear back from Afghanistan. His oldest daughter is married to my best friend from college.
          Gil Davis Tercenio

"A man with a rifle is a citizen; a man without one is merely a subject." - the late Mark Horton, Captain of Co G, 28th Ala Inf CSA, a real hero

Comment

Working...
          X