Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Where to Shellac an 1858 Dress Hat?

Jim,

Thank you so much for posting that quote.

That appears to be exactly what happened to my hat a few years ago. I tossed it right after that happened but now wish I still had it as an example of the information you shared.
    Matthew Semple

Comment

This is a funny topic for me. Why? Because I just came in from outside and restiffened my derby. What did I use? As you can tell I live in Michigan, and just 1 1/2hours south of me in Indianna is a place called Shipshawanna (Amish Country). A couple of years ago I bought a dress derby at a place called Yoders General Store and asked the gentleman behind the counter what he uses. He said he doesn't display it but if anyone asks for a stiffener he sells it. It is called "Felt Hat Stiffener" By Scout made in Sulfer Springs TX. distributed by M&F Western Products Inc. Only cost me a few bucks for a 8oz spritzer bottle. The only ingerdients listed are Ethyl Alcohol, and Isopropyl Alcohol. I have used it a few times when my derbies got loose. When they dry out it's like wearing a hard hat. It will last you a long time.
      But it does smell like hair spray going on.
      Cris L. Westphal
      1st. Mich. Vol.
      2nd. Kentucky (Morgans Raiders)
      A young man should possess all his faculties before age,liquor, and stupidity erase them--Major Thaddeus Caractus Evillard Bird(Falconer Legion CSA)

Comment

The dress hats were almost certainly issued without any of the sides turned up, as different branches (i.e. infantry) had different requirements in that regard. The shellac (in those that had it) was applied as part of the manufacturing process.
        I still have an Artifakes Hardee from the early 90s- in fact I still wear it, though it needs to be retired as it is now gray! It had a little shellac in it, I added more- 1:1 shellac to denatured alchohol worked fine. Be sure to do this in a well ventilated area! That is if you want to- I devoured that issue of the Wag when it first came out and somehow I never got the part about the absence of shellac. Paul, feel free to slap your forehead at the futility of trying to enlighten the terminally confused, if you like.
        I also still own an Artifakes haversack from the same era, I finally retired it two years ago. The bag itself is still in good shape after many hard campaigns, but the paint is finally wearing off.
        Mr. McKee, it's good to still see your name about! We were comrades for awhile, though you wouldn't remember me (I was a 'Sill for about five years or so, late 80s-early 90s.)
        Last edited by Arch Campbell; 07-01-2008, 09:02 PM. Reason: probably should have really read the previous posts!
        Arch Campbell
        Hairy Nation
        Loyal Union League
        Past Master of Martin Lodge #624, GL of Iowa AF & AM

"Secessionists and Rebel Traitors desiring a fight can be accomodated[sic]on demand." -David Moore

Comment

Arch,

Thanks be to your avatar, I do recognize you. I'm glad to see you are still active and in good company as well. I do miss many of the pards and the large, grand times we had.

Regarding the original topic: I've been doing some reading regarding sizing for felt hats and have noticed that shellac is still commonly used in the modern manufacture of dress hats and western hats...particularly for stiffening the brim. One manufacturer noted that in the steaming and pressing of the hat, the shellac (already in the felt) was "activated" and made the hat hold its shape.

Paul McKee
          Paul McKee

Comment

Working...
          X