Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Early War Uniform of the "Moore Independents" (Co. H 26th N.C.)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Early War Uniform of the "Moore Independents" (Co. H 26th N.C.)

Gents,

In doing much family research over the past few months, I've found that my GGG-Grandfather, William H.H. McDonald enlisted in the "Moore Independents" (later Co. H. 26th N.C.T.) in May of 1861. While researching the company I found this on the 26th N.C. website:

The first company that became part of the 26th North Carolina began forming in Moore County in May, 1861. As volunteers enlisted, they received large badges of red, white, and blue ribbon to wear until local tailors completed their uniforms. By May 13, the unit had officially organized and adopted the name of the "Moore Independents." From company headquarters at Carthage, the officers informed the North Carolina Adjutant General's office that the "Independents" stood ready to defend the state. On June 3, the unit mustered into service. The state then supplied the company with muskets and other equipment. On July 18, the troops received orders to proceed to the camp of instruction at Garysburg (in the northeastern part of the state). After two weeks of training, the Moore County men moved to Weldon. Ten days later, they received orders to march to Camp Carolina, located on Crabtree Creek several miles north of Raleigh.

Now I've looked here and in many books looking for a better description of either the cockade or the uniform and haven't found any, so does anybody have any more info out there or can point me towards a source I haven't found yet?

Thanks,
    Will MacDonald

Re: Early War Uniform of the "Moore Independents" (Co. H 26th N.C.)

In 1861 I assume they would be wearing NC Sack Coats. For an image of a NC cockade check in the Confederate Echoes of Glory.
    Andrew Turner
    Co.D 27th NCT
    Liberty Rifles

"Well, by God, I’ll take my men in and if they outflank me I’ll face my men about and cut my way out. Forward, men!” Gen. John R. Cooke at Bristoe Station,VA

Comment

You may find some useful information here:
      Bob Williams
      26th North Carolina Troops
      Blogsite: http://26nc.org/blog/

As [one of our cavalry] passed by, the general halted him and inquired "what part of the army he belonged to." "I don't belong to the army, I belong to the cavalry." "That's a fact," says [the general], "you can pass on." Silas Grisamore, 18th Louisiana

Comment

The North Carolina Cockade in EoG isn't like the one described for the Moore Independents. And while I'm pretty sure that they got NC Issue Uniforms later in '61, I'm more interested in what the local tailors whipped up in those first few weeks. I wonder if there are any newspaper descriptions, I've looked for Moore County, but haven't found what papers there were in operation in 1861.

Will MacDonald

Comment

Sir, at this time I have a library book titiled "State Troops and Volunteers, A Photographic Record of North Carolina's Civil War Soldiers, Volume 1" by Greg Mast. He states three quarters of the images provided are from more than 320 direct or collateral descendants. There are at least 17 images of 26th N.C.T. with Co. B "Waxhaw Jackson Guards", Co. D "Wake Guards", Co. E "Chatham Independent Guards", Co. F "Hibriten Guards", Co. K "Pee Dee Wildcats" being represented 1861-1863. Perhaps you could get hold of this book through your states Library system as I cannot begin to describe, sorry. I think I recall something about women making cockades and will keep this in mind to remember. My wifes family are in Anson county North Carolina (Co. K) and we live in adjacent Union county (Co. B). From the "Anson County Historical Society" by Mary Louise Medley, may I quote a small passage. "The Anson Guards (soon to be Co. K),the boys were in excellent spirits, the diarists said, as the Cheraw ladies entertained them at a reception. Early next morning, May 1, they took a train to Raleigh. The men found there were no accommodations in Raleigh and Adjutant General Hoke ordered them to proceed to Weldon. Instead, they spent the night at the fairgrounds. Lack of discipline characterized early Army life; Captain Hall was taken to task by Hoke. The kind ladies of Raleigh and other citizens of the capital made thier few days there endursble, the men wrote. The group went on to Weldon by train and after a few days in the Halifax railroad town they crossed over the Roanoke River and went into the nearby camp at Garysburg. The company was mustered into the service of the Confederate States by Captain E.D.Pender for a term of 12 months". I hope this helps, thanks.
          Mel Hadden, Husband to Julia Marie, Maternal Great Granddaughter of
          Eben Lowder, Corporal, Co. H 14th Regiment N.C. Troops (4th Regiment N.C. Volunteers, Co. H, The Stanly Marksmen) Mustered in May 5, 1861, captured April 9, 1865.
          Paternal Great Granddaughter of James T. Martin, Private, Co. I, 6th North Carolina Infantry Regiment Senior Reserves, (76th Regiment N.C. Troops)

"Aeterna Numiniet Patriae Asto"

CWPT
          www.civilwar.org.

"We got rules here!"

The War of the Rebellion: A Compilation of the Official Records of the Union and Confederate Armies

Battles and Leaders of the Civil War: Being for the most part contributations by Union and Confederate officers

Comment

Sir, here is a link to 'succession cockades' which I hope may be suited to your given use or purpose. http://home.freeuk.com/gazkhan/cockade.htm
            Mel Hadden, Husband to Julia Marie, Maternal Great Granddaughter of
            Eben Lowder, Corporal, Co. H 14th Regiment N.C. Troops (4th Regiment N.C. Volunteers, Co. H, The Stanly Marksmen) Mustered in May 5, 1861, captured April 9, 1865.
            Paternal Great Granddaughter of James T. Martin, Private, Co. I, 6th North Carolina Infantry Regiment Senior Reserves, (76th Regiment N.C. Troops)

"Aeterna Numiniet Patriae Asto"

CWPT
            www.civilwar.org.

"We got rules here!"

The War of the Rebellion: A Compilation of the Official Records of the Union and Confederate Armies

Battles and Leaders of the Civil War: Being for the most part contributations by Union and Confederate officers

Comment

Working...
            X