Writing kits

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Writing kits

Reading my great-great grandfather's letter got me thinking: just how did the AVERAGE soldier (as opposed to officers, who could get a porter to carry his fancy field-desk) carry his writing paraphanelia? I mean, was it in a leather case, or a wooden box, or what? How did he keep his ink from leaking all over? How did he protect the steel pen nibs from rust or mechanical damage (i.e., bending)? Or quill pens, if he used those?

I have an old pen holder that may very well be of the correct vintage. It looks very similar to one I saw in a photo of a writing box that had belonged to a Civil War soldier. Hard to tell what the handle material of the one in the photo was made of (black-and-white photo), but mine has a handle made of either ivory or bone (I'm guessing ivory, as it has a very distinct "grain" pattern), and the part that holds the nib appears to be made of apparently seamless, embossed, gold-colored (brass?) tubing that has been pinched to form a "U"-shaped socket for the nib. I'd like to find either some vintage nibs, or some modern ones that could pass for vintage (if anybody makes them?), and put together a writing kit I can put in my knapsack.

Anybody have any input on this?
    [FONT="Comic Sans MS"][COLOR="Blue"]Richard Knack[/COLOR][/FONT]

Re: Writing kits

On campaign,I would say that the troops would carry either loose paper or a simple journal.This was good for several reasons.For one,you can write your thoughts and ideas down.Two,you can use it to wrap up peices of meat and such with the paper.Three,one can use it to start a fire with.Four,you can use it for "other" times of the day.

As far as the writing implements,it's hard to say.You do see alot of journals and letters written on campaign in ink.It is all possible that they borrowed the ink from their NCOs and officers.Yet as you stated,it would be hard to carry ink as it would spill everywhere.My main theory was they caried lead pencils.One can take an old lead ball,hammer it down,and have a decent pencil.At the same time,a regular pencil from the sutler would not be too picey and could last a good long while.

Of course,there were writing kits taken on the march.The one I know of is a simple leather envelop that one could place all their items down in and keep fairly protected.If I remember it correctly,there would be a place in the flap that one could carry a pencil.Of course,this does not include the numerous camp made items out of oil cloth anf scrap leathe that might have been taken from old leatherwear that wore out.
    Hope this helps alittle.
    Cullen Smith
    South Union Guard

"Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore always carry a small snake"~W.C. Fields

"When I drink whiskey, I drink whiskey; and when I drink water, I drink water."~Michaleen Flynn [I]The Quiet Man[/I]

Comment

In addition to the thread above please see the attached photo. The writing kit below is on on display at the Atlanta History Center. I believe there are other good photos in EOG and the Time Life Tenting Tonight book.
      Garrett W. Silliman

[I]Don't Float the Mainstream[/I]
      [SIZE="1"]-Sweetwater Brewing Company, Atlanta, GA[/SIZE]

Comment

Originally posted by Dutchman Dick View Post
        Reading my great-great grandfather's letter got me thinking: just how did the AVERAGE soldier (as opposed to officers, who could get a porter to carry his fancy field-desk) carry his writing paraphanelia? I mean, was it in a leather case, or a wooden box, or what? How did he keep his ink from leaking all over? How did he protect the steel pen nibs from rust or mechanical damage (i.e., bending)? Or quill pens, if he used those?
        Just coming back from medical clerking at AHT where all the reports had to be completed in ink, I'll have to say that it's extraordinarily easy using period equipment. Thanks to the scrivener's mess mailing list, I learned about traveling inkwells--basically a screw-top inkwell with a tension at the bottom that presses an inner glass container up against the inside of the lid. You can just drop it in your pocket and let it rattle around--no chance of spilling.

I made a pen case by glueing pasteboard into a cylinder that holds two pens and a pencil and covering it with cloth. There were a variety of those as well in the period, including metal, which would be sturdier.

If I wasn't in constant need of it, the inkwell and pen case could have been tucked in a knapsack or bedroll. With a steel nib used regularly, and wiped but left coated with a little ink, rust just doesn't seem to be an issue.

I just carried my inkwell and pen-case in my pocket, along with paper (though a wallet for paper and envelopes or, even better, a spot in the knapsack would have been more protective) and at a moment's notice could sit on the ground and pull out a piece of paper, set my inkwell on the ground and copy out a report dictated by the surgeon, resting the paper on my knee. My wife came as a modern spectator, so attached is a picture of how I turned out a dozen pages of reports in ink. That's a beige pen holder, not a pencil in my hand, and a few sheets of loose paper unfolded from my pocket.

Hank Trent
        hanktrent@voyager.net
        Hank Trent

Comment

Hank,
          Can you please elaborate on the inkwells--"scrivener's mess mailing list" ? I have put a cork in a small bottle, to find the cork stuck tight after time. Not to mention it isn't full proof for leakage when the cork is newly put in. Is a traveling inkwell available? With the spring tension to press the glass against the inside of the lid? Haven't seen that before. I have seen the glass topped inkwells at Ft. Snelling, but don't see the aparatus you describe. Thanks so much,
          Sincerely, Marie McNamara
          Hardtack Baker

Comment

Originally posted by Hank Trent View Post
            I made a pen case by glueing pasteboard into a cylinder that holds two pens and a pencil and covering it with cloth. There were a variety of those as well in the period, including metal, which would be sturdier.

Hank Trent
            hanktrent@voyager.net
            Thanks! :) Could you post some photos, please? Also, if you'll pardon my ignorance, what exactly IS pasteboard? Is it some kind of cardboard?

Also, where can I find truly authentic nibs? Does anybody currently make nibs that would be passable?

As for pencils, I've heard originals had square leads. I wonder, could a "carpenter's pencil" possibly be "defarbed"?

Another thing: is there a resource that can teach me the technique for Spencerian/copperplate script? I used to do calligraphy, so I do have some experience with nib pens, and I use a fountain pen on a daily basis (I prefer them to ballpoints or roller balls), so I wouldn't think it would be TOO hard for me to learn, but I've heard the technique for Spencerian script is...unique.

Comment

Originally posted by Hardtack Baker View Post
              Hank,
              Can you please elaborate on the inkwells--"scrivener's mess mailing list" ? I have put a cork in a small bottle, to find the cork stuck tight after time. Not to mention it isn't full proof for leakage when the cork is newly put in. Is a traveling inkwell available? With the spring tension to press the glass against the inside of the lid? Haven't seen that before. I have seen the glass topped inkwells at Ft. Snelling, but don't see the aparatus you describe. Thanks so much,
              Sincerely, Marie McNamara
              Hardtack Baker
              http://www.dixiegunworks.com/product...ducts_id=10995MA0010 Traveling Inkwell $19.95

[IMG][/IMG]
              "Also known as “Travelers,” these two brass inkwells are replicas of originals examined in private collections. Dated to the mid 1800s; the square one was included in a British Military “Writing Box” or portable desk. Made as the originals with a glass insert fitted at the base with a rubber button which acts as a spring to push the insert upwards into the cork filled lid. When lid is closed and latched, it makes a somewhat leak-resistant seal – no better and no worse than the originals! The round well is about 1 7/8” tall X 1 5/8” diameter. Square well is 1 5/8” square X 1 7/8” tall. Glass insert will hold approximately ½ oz. of ink. STATE ROUND OR SQUARE."

Ran across this while searching for "traveller's inkwell". The round one might be a worthwhile purchase for my writing kit.
              Last edited by Dutchman Dick; 07-01-2008, 10:35 AM.

Comment

Here's the link to the Scriveners Mess yahoo group. Michael Schaffner and the scriveners get all the credit for telling me about 19th century writing supplies, so I'd really rather defer to them for more thorough research information.

For nibs, I use Gillott 404 and Gillott 303 from John Neal booksellers, and also their McCaffery's Penman's Ink, which is an oak gall formula, I believe. The scriveners tell how to make your own pen holders, which I did, or antique and repro ones are available. Pasteboard is cardboard. I think that's a traveling inkwell in the left of the photo that Garrett Silliman posted. The scriveners also had a good discussion about them. Haven't used the Dixie Gunworks one but I believe they said it needs a little tweaking before it's truly leak-proof, but that's the idea. For more pictures of originals, try searching google images for pictures like this or this or this. The Office Museum website also has good stuff, though much is from later eras.

To learn period handwriting, I just sat down with images of period handwritten letters in front of me (picked one written by a man my age from my part of the country) and learned to copy the various letter shapes and practiced until it looked right.

Hate to post detailed pictures of my stuff because it's kinda tossed together and homemade, but to give a general idea, here I am carrying the inkwell (with brass top) and pen case and some paper. I used a leaf for a pen wiper, though a real wiper would be better of course, and that was all the supplies I needed. A ruler and desk for drawing the lines on forms would have been helpful, but lines aren't necessary for a letter home, of course.

Hank Trent
                hanktrent@voyager.net
                Hank Trent

Comment

Originally posted by Dutchman Dick View Post
                  Thanks! :)
                  Where can I find truly authentic nibs? Does anybody currently make nibs that would be passable?

OK, another web search turned up http://www.pendemonium.com/pens_dippen.htm. Esterbrook and the Spencerian Company both made nibs during the Civil War. The prices seem pretty reasonable, too.

Comment

Workbooks for learning the Spencerian style are available here:

The most "authentic" nibs are the Gillot 303, Gillot 404, and the Hunt 22. These may be a bit too flexible for learning, so I would highly recommend the Gillot 1066 Registry pen to start out with. (The 1066 can even be used for making carbonless copies in a modern setting.)

Inkwells: see if you can find a vintage one on eBay. I have several, all of which I found there. Most of the time, the stopper (located in the cap) is gone, but you can fashion one from cork or from a rubber stopper found in hardware stores. I would not buy the DGW version.
                    Attached Files
                    [FONT=Times New Roman]Yours most respectfully, your obedient servant,[/FONT]
                    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
                    [FONT=Times New Roman]R. L. ("Rob") Griffiths.[/FONT]
                    [FONT=Times New Roman][I]Member, Civil War Preservation Trust.[/I][/FONT]
                    [FONT=Times New Roman][I]Authentic Campaigner member since November 10th, 2004.[/I][/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman][I]"I am not aware of ever having used a profane expletive in my life, but I would have the charity to excuse those who may have done so, if they were in charge of a train of Mexican pack mules at the time."[/I] - U. S. Grant[I].[/I][/FONT]

Comment

Originally posted by Rob View Post
                      Inkwells: I would not buy the DGW version.

Just to satisfy my curiosity, why not (besides the need for "tweaking" the seal)?

Comment

Why not cheap suttler row quality inkwell...

Richard, they look to me like a rather crude india/pakistan reproduction of a period concept showing little of the craftsmanship or design elements of the examples I have seen or have been shared here. Now if you can provide documentation or original examples that match the quality and design of the sutler row inkwells from Dixie then this conversation can go in that direction, but until then I'd agree that one is probably wise to avoid the ones you pointed to especially when period originals can be had at a reasonable price.

The question shouldn't be merely what is wrong with a particular vendor's goods but rather, how well do they duplicate the item they are attempting to reproduce.
                        Troy Groves "AZReenactor"
                        1st California Infantry Volunteers, Co. C

So, you think that scrap in the East is rough, do you?
                        Ever consider what it means to be captured by Apaches?

Comment

Re: Why not cheap suttler row quality inkwell...

Originally posted by AZReenactor View Post
                          Richard, they look to me like a rather crude india/pakistan reproduction of a period concept showing little of the craftsmanship or design elements of the examples I have seen or have been shared here. Now if you can provide documentation or original examples that match the quality and design of the sutler row inkwells from Dixie then this conversation can go in that direction, but until then I'd agree that one is probably wise to avoid the ones you pointed to especially when period originals can be had at a reasonable price.

The question shouldn't be merely what is wrong with a particular vendor's goods but rather, how well do they duplicate the item they are attempting to reproduce.
                          I concede your point. I'm pretty new to this. When I ask "why not?", I'm not questioning the advice given; it's more to the order of "what, precisely, makes this item 'farby'?", so I know exactly what to watch out for.

BTW, the pen holder I have is nearly identical to the one on page 210 of Lord's Civil War Collector's Encyclopedia, vol. 2, in the set that belonged to John G. Macomber, 6th Vermont Infantry. As I mentioned earlier, it's hard to tell what the handle of the one in the photo is made of (mine is either ivory or bone, but DEFINITELY not hard rubber, modern plastic or celluloid), but as to the grip part the only real difference between Macomber's pen holder and mine is in the embossing: Macomber's is more of a chevron pattern while mine has a sort of checkerboard or basketweave pattern.

Comment

The DGW inkwells look like no period inkwell I've ever seen. Of course, I cannot claim to have seen every style ever made. Someone, somewhere, at some time, may have made one which looks like this one does.

From a "function" point of view, they are garbage. They leak. Badly. I tried to get it to seal with extra cork, but no dice. Finally the hinge broke. Erk!

If I'm going to carry an inkwell, I want one which I can throw in my haversack (I carry two; one for rations, and one for paperwork) or in my pocket and forget about it until needed. Since I have over a dozen real period inkwells which fit this description, why bother with a cheaply made piece of junk?

"You pays your money and you takes your choice."
                            [FONT=Times New Roman]Yours most respectfully, your obedient servant,[/FONT]
                            [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
                            [FONT=Times New Roman]R. L. ("Rob") Griffiths.[/FONT]
                            [FONT=Times New Roman][I]Member, Civil War Preservation Trust.[/I][/FONT]
                            [FONT=Times New Roman][I]Authentic Campaigner member since November 10th, 2004.[/I][/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman][I]"I am not aware of ever having used a profane expletive in my life, but I would have the charity to excuse those who may have done so, if they were in charge of a train of Mexican pack mules at the time."[/I] - U. S. Grant[I].[/I][/FONT]

Comment

If you want pencils or books to learn how to write in the period style be sure to check out one of the approved vendors here.

http://www.raggedsoldier.com/chez.html

They carry pencils and Specerian Copy Books.

For holders and nibs and ink, I bought mine from John Neal. I have the same ink Hank recommended which is an oak gall ink. This is correct for the 1860s. The medical depot in Columbia, SC was producing iron gall ink in 1863 for the CS Medical Department. The holder is a simple straight wood mahogany holder and the also offer an oak version. Do not get the oblique holders, they are not correct. The nib I was recommended to buy was the EF Principal which is a copy of the Gillot No1 Pricipality. I bought a half dozen to start.

My inkwell came from another recommended vendor Carter and Jasper.

http://www.carterandjasper.com/amusements.htm

They look great if you overlook the "2004" on the bottom. They hold about 1oz of ink. I carried mine in the bottom of my haversack all weekend AHT and it did not leak with a simple cork. I did bring a spare cork just in case. I found a large selection of different size corks at my local hardward store ithe aisle with the individual fasteners. I brought the inkwell and looked for the best fit but also one which would have enough cork sticking out to make it possible to remove later in the field.

I would suggest practice. I was to copy orders into my order book in advance of the event and it made for some very interesting reading when I was done. The pen does not write like a fountain pen which I use commonly. The pen has a sharp point which can catch on the paper quite easily. After a while it gets easier, but modern letter shapes don't always adapt to the pen nib. I will be getting the copy books and practicing. You can write letters from home, orders, etc before an event as practice.

Hank was serving as my orderly AHT and he was amazing with his pen and ink. He would write notes in haste on the field in pencil then copy them down into reports in camp. He is most skilled and his time, patience and practice show.
                              Last edited by hta1970; 07-02-2008, 11:25 AM. Reason: added link
                              Harry Aycock

Chief Surgeon
                              Southern Division

Comment

Working...
                              X