Sick and Wounded

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sick and Wounded

After the AHT event, the other Confederate medical staff and myself have been talking about how to improve our medical impression and activities after the battle. This would include evacuation of wounded after the battle, treatment of wounded in field hospitals and sick call.

But without soldiers to portray the sick and wounded, we are at a bit of a loss.

So, I'm looking for suggestions from the rank and file as to how the medical staff can help the soldier act the part of the wounded soldier, encourage soldiers to remain on the field for 1863 evacuation, enourage soldiers to be admitted to field hospital for after the battle treatment and help soldiers with first person impressions during sick call.

Your thoughts and suggestions are greatly appreciated.
    Harry Aycock

Chief Surgeon
    Southern Division

Re: Sick and Wounded

Harry,

The ATB event in November will feature a Federal bandaging station which will do some of what you are asking about.

Also, do a search on any Payne's Farm AAR threads or get ahold of a Columbia Rifles newsletter from the period to read about the medical scenarios and experiences at that event (Oct 2005).

Good luck
    Mike "Dusty" Chapman

Member: CWT, CVBT, NTHP, MOC, KBA, Stonewall Jackson House, Mosby Heritage Foundation

"I would have posted this on the preservation folder, but nobody reads that!" - Christopher Daley

The AC was not started with the beginner in mind. - Jim Kindred

Comment

I'm sure you've considered this, but consider doing something akin to the twelve hour overnight Field Hospital they did at Burkittsville 2001.

Having been there for the entire evening, it was quite worthwhile. Participants who spent the night at the hospital also participated in a raffle the following morning to reward them for their efforts.

If I could be assured that I would not bake in the sun for hours and could sleep that night is a decent place, I'd do it again.
      Robert Carter
      69th NYSV, Co. A
      justrobnj@gmail.com
      www.69thsnyv.org

Comment

Rob et al,

Did I mention the bandaging station will be INSIDE a barn?:wink_smil
        Mike "Dusty" Chapman

Member: CWT, CVBT, NTHP, MOC, KBA, Stonewall Jackson House, Mosby Heritage Foundation

"I would have posted this on the preservation folder, but nobody reads that!" - Christopher Daley

The AC was not started with the beginner in mind. - Jim Kindred

Comment

Originally posted by JustRob View Post
          I'm sure you've considered this, but consider doing something akin to the twelve hour overnight Field Hospital they did at Burkittsville 2001.

Having been there for the entire evening, it was quite worthwhile. Participants who spent the night at the hospital also participated in a raffle the following morning to reward them for their efforts.

If I could be assured that I would not bake in the sun for hours and could sleep that night is a decent place, I'd do it again.
          The Burkittsville Event in 2001 was one of the more successful hospital situations etc etc...took some work from quite a few people but it came off rather nicely for everyone. The candlelight tours work very well for the spectators and I still remember the period conversation Mike Murley and I had in the wee hours of the morning on politics.

Sometimes just a living history hospital, or after battle scene works well, but I agree it is hard to find participants to be the wounded or sick.

IMHO a smaller event would work better such as Burkittsville.

I feel it is a worthwhile goal to try and achieve especially with the increased interest period medicine etc both military and civilian.
          Marc Riddell
          1st Minnesota Co D
          2nd USSS Company C
          Potomac Legion

Comment

For Sick Call... you could have "casualty cards" written up but instead of "your wounded in the arm", you could list the ailment the soldier is being assigned. Give some facts about the disease, the symptoms the solder is to represent, and even some folk lore that the soldier might know about from home civilian life like "put of poultice of mud and dandelion leaves on it". You can issue these cards at registration, or have someone hand them out just prior to the scenario to the willing participants. It was nice to see you come through the camp on Sunday. Had we known you were coming, our group would have been a little more prepared to do some fir-pir with you. Cards with ideas on what our ailment would have helped greatly.

For battle wounds.... I know personally I am afraid of getting covered in red gore. I had a very expensive coat ruined that way and don't see myself repeating that.
            Brad Ireland
            Old Line Mess
            4th VA CO. A
            SWB

Comment

This is some great information. Hank Trent mentioned the Burkittsville and that is they type of thing we are trying to do again.

The sick call ideas are good. Might be something we could give to each company commander for him to distribute for 1st person at sick call.

How are first sergeants with preparing lists of sick to be presented at sick call? I showed up at Brigade HQ, since my field hospital was set up down at division HQ, and both mornings was told no one had reported, but the second morning was invited to walk through camp to visit the boys and that is how I came to walk through and enquire about your health.

We are trying to be proactive about this so the medical staff does their 1st person job and the soldiers know what their first person job is also.

We probably should have had the buglers in on this too!
              Harry Aycock

Chief Surgeon
              Southern Division

Comment

Originally posted by cprljohnivey View Post
                For battle wounds.... I know personally I am afraid of getting covered in red gore. I had a very expensive coat ruined that way and don't see myself repeating that.
                At Burkittsville, this was the number one reason soldiers were hesitant to volunteer to be wounded, so we made a rule of no liquid blood. If necessary, bandages were pre-painted with dried red paint, but honestly, I think the whole thing could have been done without any blood at all, and would have turned out as effectively, since the emphasis was on treatment, symptoms, paperwork, the running of a hospital, the interaction of staff, wounded and volunteers, etc.

Hank Trent
                hanktrent@voyager.net
                Hank Trent

Comment

Originally posted by JustRob View Post
                  Having been there for the entire evening, it was quite worthwhile. Participants who spent the night at the hospital also participated in a raffle the following morning to reward them for their efforts..

It is always good to "give them something". Positive reward for taking the time away from portraying a healthy soldier. This might also allow some men to save face when they come to an event and find they are not in shape. Seems to happen at many of them.
                  Joe Allport

[I]...harbors bushwhackers and bushwhacks himself occassionally...is a shoemaker and makes shoes for all the bushwhackers in the neighborhood.[/I]

Texas Ground Hornets
                  Co. F, 1st Texas Infantry
                  Shoemaker

Comment

I havent used liquid blood for years. I also have ruined a few very expensive frock coats, while treating wound men.
                    I also find that the thought process of imagination "paints" a more graphic photograph on the minds eye the hollywood props.
                    We have been raised with movie and television violence, and have become desensatized to it.
                    Chris Fisher
                    [COLOR="Blue"][I]GGGS Pvt Lewis Davenport
                    1st NY Mounted Rifles
                    Enlisted Jan 1864 Discharged Nov 1865[/I][/COLOR]
                    [I][COLOR="SeaGreen"]Member Co[COLOR="DarkGreen"][/COLOR]mpany of Military Historians[/COLOR][/I]

Comment

When speaking of disease I would say mail the info to the participent a few weeks prior to the event instead of giving it to him at registration, This would allow the individual to do additional research and practice the impression beforehand. This is the kind of thing that has to be done very well.

Perhaps an idea for wounded is for the event to provide a some clothing to the participent pror to the scenaro.. This would mean you could have as much gore on it as you want and not have to worry about ruining someones 600$ kit. An extra 3 dollars in the registration fee wouldn't bother anyone and would cover the costs of a coat, pants, and shirt.
                      James Duffney
                      61st NY
                      Brave Peacock Mess

Comment

Originally posted by Duff View Post
                        Perhaps an idea for wounded is for the event to provide a some clothing to the participent pror to the scenaro.. This would mean you could have as much gore on it as you want and not have to worry about ruining someones 600$ kit.
                        You beat me to it. This would not only work, but also be a good use for clothing that has otherwise gone beyond campaigning. If it's going to be muddy and "bloody", the condition of the fabric won't be as important.
                        Becky Morgan

Comment

Originally posted by Becky Morgan View Post
                          You beat me to it. This would not only work, but also be a good use for clothing that has otherwise gone beyond campaigning. If it's going to be muddy and "bloody", the condition of the fabric won't be as important.
                          The Frederick Ladies Relief Society has used old clothing for the past years at their annual USSC Hospital Living History at Gettysburg each July.
                          Marc Riddell
                          1st Minnesota Co D
                          2nd USSS Company C
                          Potomac Legion

Comment

"When speaking of disease I would say mail the info to the participent a few weeks prior to the event instead of giving it to him at registration, This would allow the individual to do additional research and practice the impression beforehand. This is the kind of thing that has to be done very well."

This idea would work for some events but I don't see it working for an event on the scale of AHT. I think sick call should be better communicated to the unit officers and nco Friday night so that they can gather some participants from thier units. Then cards can be dispersed at that time. Soldiers going for the "sick call" should be voluntary. Not eveyone wants to do fir-pir. Logistically, I don't see how sending cards out prior to an event the size of AHT is feasable.
                            Brad Ireland
                            Old Line Mess
                            4th VA CO. A
                            SWB

Comment

I was thinking more along the lines of a smaller event, like After the Battle, or Winter 1864, rather than an event like AHT. I'm sorry if I wasn't clear.
                              James Duffney
                              61st NY
                              Brave Peacock Mess

Comment

Working...
                              X