Interesting method of holding sword

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interesting method of holding sword

The individual shown in this EBay listing, and in the attached image, is tentatively ID'd as a First Sergeant in the 67th Illinois although his coat is more akin to a company-grade officer's.

The man's method is of sword carriage is intriguing. If we allow for the obvious possibilities (i.e., he was either unfamiliar with how to properly hold a sword at the shoulder, or, conversely, his positioning was simply more comfortable for a fairly long exposure), the man shown seems to be holding his sword much in the same way as he would for a rifle-musket. I've seen another c.1862 image of an officer holding his sword in a similar fashion. This suggests, to me anyway, that some individuals elected to carry swords in this fashion simply because it was more comfortable or they may have been physically unable to do so due to injuries, etc.

Discuss amongst yourselves.

Yours, &c.,

Mark Jaeger
    Attached Files
    Regards,

Mark Jaeger

Re: Interesting method of holding sword

The text describes him as a Sgt. The sword is not an NCO sword, but appears to be the typical Officers style. Very likely a prop provided by the photographer. Perhpas this is early war, perhaps right after his enlistment and election to rank and he has no real idea as to how the sword is to be carried.
    Brian Hicks
    Widows' Sons Mess

Known lately to associate with the WIG and the Armory Guards

"He's a good enough fellow... but I fear he may be another Alcibiades."

“Every man ever got a statue made of him was one kinda sumbitch or another. It ain’t about you. It’s about what THEY need.”CAPTAIN MALCOLM REYNOLDS

Comment

Strangley enough he has an officers Kepi. I wonder what is up with that??

RM
      Rod Miller
      [COLOR=SlateGray]Old Pards[/COLOR]
      [COLOR=DarkRed]Cornfed Comrades[/COLOR]
      [COLOR=Navy]Old Northwest Volunteers[/COLOR]

[FONT=Palatino Linotype]"We trust, Sir, that God is on our side." "It is more important to know that we are on God's side."
      A. Lincoln[/FONT]

150th Anniversary
      1861 Camp Jackson-Sgt. German Milita US
      1st Manassas- Chaplain T. Witherspoon, 2nd Miss. Inf. CS
      1862 Shiloh -Lt. ,6th Miss. Inf. CS
      1863 VicksburgLH-Captain Cephas Williams, 113th Co.B US
      Gettysburg BGA- Chaplain WilliamWay, 24th MI US
      1864 Charleston Riot-Judge Charles Constable "Copperhead".
      Bermuda Hundred Campaign-USCC Field Agent J.R. Miller

Comment

I have attached the image to which I referred in my last post. This is an extract from a photograph ID'd as showing the 50th Pennsylvania Volunteer Infantry at Beaufort SC in early 1862. Look closely and you'll see the officers are carrying their blades in at least 5 different ways! One of them has clearly adopted a split-finger carriage similar to that of a rifle-musket. Kick up Zoom to 200% and things will really pop out at you.

Several of the officers in the image can be identified including Colonel Benj. Christ. Here's a capsule history of the 50th PVI--I'm sorry to say a number of the individuals depicted in this image were subsequently KIA in later engagements.

http://www.pa-roots.com/~pacw/infantry/50th/50thorg.html

Yours, &c.,

Mark Jaeger
        Attached Files
        Last edited by markj; 07-09-2008, 08:12 PM.
        Regards,

Mark Jaeger

Comment

The second photo shows line and field officers at the 'Carry'. Linked below is a article that address the issue....and the very same picture.

http://www.lazyjacks.org.uk/sword.htm
          Thaddaeus Dolzall
          Liberty Hall Volunteers

We began to think that Ritchie Green did a very smart thing, when we left Richmond, to carry nothing in his knapsack but one paper collar and a plug of tobacco!

Comment

Can anyone comment on the strap around his chest? At first glance I thought it could be a shoulder strap to his waisbelt but it doesn't seem to attach to the belt. What do y'all think?
            Morgan B. Tittle

The Drunken Lullaby Mess

"... We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language ... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."
            Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Comment

Hi,

It could be a leather canteen strap, but this is just a guess.
              Andrew Kasmar

Comment

Mr. Jaeger,

I am looking at the second picture you posted and have realized something remarkable:

Whenever I have to be in a long ceremony in full dress uniform with sword for the US Navy, I hold my sword in the same manner as the second individual pictured from the left. It is simply more comfortable for my hand and wrist over an extended period of time when holding it in this manner. I do this despite what accepted Navy sword drill for officers dictates.

So, I am drawing the conclusion that it is the personal choice of the officer carrying the sword despite what regulations state.

LT Matthew T. Semple, USN
                Matthew Semple

Comment

Working...
                X