Federal Trousers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Federal Trousers

After using the search function and finding no results for this subject,I have decided to go ahead and post.I was wondering how many suspender buttons Federal Trousers were usually issued with?I have always heard that they were issued with one on each side in the front and back.I was wondering if anyone else had heard different or whose research has turned up different results?Thanks.
    Shawn Sturgill
    Governor Guards
    SCAR

Re: Federal Trousers

I can attest to the Harkness, Deering, and J.T. Martin examples; 6 buttons to accomodate forked-front suspenders.

Check out the Columbia Rifles Research Compendium.
    Mark Krausz
    William L. Campbell
    Prodigal Sons Mess of Co. B 36th IL Inf.
    Old Northwest Volunteers
    Agents Campbell and Pelican's Military Goods

Comment

Shawn,

Short answer is SA trousers were issued with 4, most contractor trousers were issued with 6. Mark is correct that the CRRC would be an excellent source of information on such questions.

Best Regards,
      Dan Wambaugh
      Wambaugh, White, & Company
      www.wwandcompany.com
      517-303-3609
      Become our fan on Facebook by clicking HERE

Comment

Thank you two for your help.I have a pair of Harkness contracts,and they have six.Now I don't have to remove two buttons.
        Shawn Sturgill
        Governor Guards
        SCAR

Comment

I've seen an unissued pair of Federal Issue Trowsers with 8.
          [COLOR="DarkRed"] [B][SIZE=2][FONT=Book Antiqua]Christopher J. Daley[/FONT][/SIZE][/B][/COLOR]

Comment

Chris,
            I wonder how rare that is? I've heard of confederate trousers with 8.....I wonder..is there a possibility that the maker of these trousers was either making or had reason to believe someone else was producing suspenders/braces with forks in the front and back for mass issue?
            Luke Gilly
            Breckinridge Greys
            Lodge 661 F&AM

"May the grass grow long on the road to hell." --an Irish toast

Comment

Hallo!

With a full appreciation for contract variations and other exceptions, just as an aside, here are the U. S. Quartermaster "specs:"

Footman's Trowsers

2 yards 15 inches of 2/4 sky blue kersey; 1/2 yard of 7/8 unbleached drilling; 5 suspender buttons, 5 shirt or fly buttons; 1 1/2 inches of black or dark 4-4 muslin; 6 skeins dark blue linen thread, No 30. For Ordnance, dark blue kersey.

Mounted men's trowsers, reinforced on seat and legs

3 yards 8 inches of 3/4 sky blue kersey; 1/2 yard of 7/8 drilling; 8 suspender buttons; 13 shirt or fly buttons; 8 skiens of dark blue linen thread; No 30; 1 1/2 inches black or dark muslin

Curt
              Curt Schmidt
              In gleichem Schritt und Tritt, Curt Schmidt

-Hard and sharp as flint...secret, and self-contained, and solitary as an oyster.
              -Haplogroup R1b M343 (Subclade R1b1a2 M269)
              -Pointless Folksy Wisdom Mess, Oblio Lodge #1
              -Vastly Ignorant
              -Often incorrect, technically, historically, factually.

Comment

Originally posted by Curt-Heinrich Schmidt View Post
                Hallo!

With a full appreciation for contract variations and other exceptions, just as an aside, here are the U. S. Quartermaster "specs:"

Footman's Trowsers

2 yards 15 inches of 2/4 sky blue kersey; 1/2 yard of 7/8 unbleached drilling; 5 suspender buttons, 5 shirt or fly buttons; 1 1/2 inches of black or dark 4-4 muslin; 6 skeins dark blue linen thread, No 30. For Ordnance, dark blue kersey.

Mounted men's trowsers, reinforced on seat and legs

3 yards 8 inches of 3/4 sky blue kersey; 1/2 yard of 7/8 drilling; 8 suspender buttons; 13 shirt or fly buttons; 8 skiens of dark blue linen thread; No 30; 1 1/2 inches black or dark muslin

Curt
                Always wondered about the 8 extra buttons on the inside of my mounted trousers cuffs....they're for a stirrup strap (have never seen nor owned them).....but no mention of suspender strap buttons.....

thanks Curt!
                RJ Samp
                (Mr. Robert James Samp, Junior)
                Bugle, Bugle, Bugle

Comment

Working...
                X